FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » studying for SATs -- updated! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: studying for SATs -- updated!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(this is mainly for Icarus and Rivka to help me study, but if anyone else has good advice or needs some, you're welcome to join in)

Ok, I do have an SAT prep book that I'm working on. It has reading passages, vocabulary words, math questions, and random tips.

I have also been doing some vocabulary cards.

And soon I'll be starting to do some timed math tests.

Any other ideas?

[ June 18, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me, the SAT is mostly winging it...

Also, you will end up taking it more times than one... (I told myself I wouldn't, and that didn't last long).

Do all the studying that you're doing, but there's not a WHOLE lot you can do to study for it.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I also took the PSAT, and a practice SAT, and I'm going to try to fit in another practice before I take it for real.
I'll probably be taking the SAT on June 5, and maybe again at the end of July. (I *don't* want to take the new SAT! [Angst] )

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
The only book that I think is worthwhile for preparing for the SAT is 10 Real SATs by the makers of the test. They simply give you retired tests and let you practice and get familiar with the real thing. Many other books will do more harm than good.

I think I will do separate posts on math and verbal, and then maybe come back when I have more time and amplify them . . .

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

VERBAL

Reading Comprehension

Reading Comp questions can be divided into big picture questions and little picture questions. Little picture questions are typically in order of where the details are located in the story. So when you read a passage, don't try to memorize all the details. Try to get the gist of it--the big picture. Then, when you get detail questions, seek out the answers if you need to. Often, they will tell you line numbers. Even if they don't, they are, as I said, typically in order.

Vocabulary to come . . . including etymology, connotation versus denotation, and making your own best word list (rather than buying a general book)

However, my father just arrived with lunch, so it will be a while. Probably a couple of hours or more.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Actually, I didn't read the passages first. [Blushing] I was so crunched for time I'd read the questions, and find where it was in the passages. But, uh...that didn't work so well with the general questions. My best area in verbal was the analogies.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't study for the SAT's. That's my advice. You are going to get whatever you are going to get on it, so just do it. Studying will just waste your time.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I never studied for the SAT, and I did very well. I also didn't go out of my way to get a lot of rest beforehand. I think it's a lot more worthwhile to just relax about the test, as opposed to stressing and building it up into some kind of big deal.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is out right at this very moment taking the SATs. He has been taking a SAT class every weekend for the past couple of months.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I never studied or anything for the SATs or the PSAT... My brother's school offered a class and he took that but it didn't up his score or anything :/
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
My advice -- don't study for the SATs, but study *how to take* the SATs.

For example, the math section is ordered, easy to hard. You have to make sure you get all the easy ones right, and finishing the whole section is less important -- the last few questions are always the hardest. This helps you know which questions you're better off leaving blank.

It also helps to know which questions should have complicated solutions and which ones don't.

Just be prepared to take the test itself -- know what you're going to see, in what order, and how much time you'll have for each section. Know on which sections you'll lose 1/4 point for answering incorrectly. Know when it's wiser not to guess.

The material on the SAT is mostly stuff you can't really study for. Vocabulary helps, but really how well you do here is just going to be determined by how much time you've spent reading since you were a toddler. You may get lucky and learn a word you'll see on the test, but chances are slim.

Most important? Sleep the night before. Don't forget a snack. And don't *stress*! You'll be fine. [Smile]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Eruve-
If I could tell you one thing that would help you, it would be to watch The News Hour with Jim Lehrer every night from now on. The only explanation I can give for not crashing and burning is that I used to watch 4 hours of news every night. But I lived in the Washington D.C. market so the news where you are may not be as helpful.

I didn't read squat for most of my first 18 years. I guess reading Jane Austen might also be enjoyable as well as vocab building. Don't just read a lot, read above your level.

As for math, I think personal attitudes and confidence held me back a lot. I hope this is getting better for young women today.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
take a course on how to take the SATs, they give you test taking hints and such. Studying the material is unlikely to help you as much as studying the test itself.

A few things that might help: Vocab, if you increase your vocab, it will help you on the test.

Facts about triangles...standardized tests love to ask you stupid things about triangles and their angles. Learn the different rules for the types of special triangles.

Mostly, take practice tests, it will get you used to taking the real thing.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I AM going to study, I've already made up my mind on that. I feel like it's been helping, and even if it only boosts confidence, then it's still a good plan. [Smile]

(btw, it has been proven that on average, taking the SAT again boosts your score 50 pts.)

Megachirops
Member # 4325

Actually, by the time I'm done, I will have covered most of what a good course will cover. But we're watching TV right now. [Smile]

Notice that I have not talked about studying for the test, only knowing how to work with the structure. However, I disagree about not being able to improve vocabulary in time for the test. Stay tuned and I will tell you why/how. [Smile]

Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
Study. Definitely.

Don't pay attention to those people up there, after all, we're not all child prodigies like them. [Grumble]

Unless you are already up there at a 1400-1600 range, studying will without a doubt help- if only by a little.

Apart from the 10 Real SAT's which I am confident you already have, I also think you should pick up a copy of, Up Your Score (highly recommended).

I will be retaking the SAT's on June 5th as well. All the luck to you!

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, by the time I'm done, I will have covered most of what a good course will cover. But we're watching TV right now.
Don't follow Icky's example and watch TV! It's too late for me - I'm totally addicted - but you can still avoid it! Save yourself!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless you are already up there at a 1400-1600 range, studying will without a doubt help- if only by a little.
Even if you are already up there at a 1400-1600 range, studying will help, possibly by a lot. Maybe not the verbal section, but definitely the math. My main suggestion would be to get a book which reviews the math that is on the SAT. Read through it, and do as many sample problems as possible. Math is something that practice makes perfect - or at least a whole lot better - so almost invariably, the more you study, the better you'll do on the SAT. When I studied for the Math section of the SAT, I went up from a 650 to a 700. If I'd studied more, I'm sure I would have done even better. Obviously, there are limits to how well you're going to do, even with studying, but studying will almost always help.

I can't give you much help on Verbal, because I got an 800 without studying, but I agree with the others in that trying to memorize word lists probably won't help much. Instead, read through a book which discusses the various kinds of analogies, and do as many practice tests as you can to help improve your reading comprehension skills.

Good luck!

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, study. At the very least, try out some practice tests first. Also, read as much as you can--vocabulary tests in school aren't useful because it's best to see words in context. Know your math well, and watch out for tricky things like average velocity (40 mph one way and 50 mph the other does not make an average of 45 mph). The best way to learn about these tricks is to take practice tests. And don't go in assuming you'll just take it again later. I only took the SAT once.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely study! I did very well on my PSATs -- better in 11th than 10th, but that was due to having taken them before and having another year of math in between -- but if you extrapolated my PSAT scores to SAT scores (that is, multiplied by 10), I think I raised my score on the SATs (which I took just once) by close to 100 points. (I could be wrong, it's been a while, but I think that's right.)

I attribute that to studying. Not cramming, not taking any classes, but setting aside a couple hours every week for 6 months to study. Mostly that meant going through actual tests, and practicing skills.

However, I disagree with Icarus on not getting any of the test-prep books. IMO, Barons is not bad, and Princeton Review is great. The irreverent tone and analysis of types of questions are great; the list of most-used words was quite useful (and I've always had a good vocabulary, but I still went through those and learned the ones I didn't know well); and the techniques were very useful -- to me, and to my brothers (although I think one preferred Barons).

Vocab cards are good. Practicing working under a time pressure is also good -- I refuse to give my science students extra time to take their tests (unlike most of their other teachers [Mad] -- we never got extra time when I was in HS!), and it amazes me how many cannot pace themselves!

Remember, each question counts the same! So DO NOT allow yourself to get bogged down in one question for a long time. Stop; leave it for after you've done all the others. You may not get back to it, but at least it won't keep you from getting to 5-10 that you could have done in the same time!

I don't think watching the news will help much -- unless they've changed the SATs a lot more than I thought, there's no current events section. [Wink] And there are many better ways to pick up vocabulary, IMO.

That page of math facts that they give you on the SAT? Make sure you understand everything on it. No need to memorize it, obviously, but if it takes you an extra 30-60 seconds to figure out which formula or fact you need, that's lost time.

Mostly, get used to the SAT, and comfortable with it. That means -- you guessed it -- practice, practice, and practice some more. Take one timed section every other day (or every day, if your time is shorter). Alternate math and verbal (unless you're much weaker in one than the other).

Good luck, Eruve! And I look forward to reading Ic's breakdown of section by section. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

VERBAL SECTIONS

Vocabulary -- Etymology

Do you speak any other languages? In particular, do you speak any Romance languages? If so, this will be of inestimable help to you on the verbal sections. If not, though, a knowledge of etymology will have similar value.

If you look at England from a geographical standpoint, it's an island, strategically situated near mainland Europe, and hard to defend. Over the centuries, England has had wars with much of nearby Europe, and avoided wars at other times by playing off the balance of power between other European countries. Along the way they have been invaded by the Romans and the Normans. While the tribes that first settled England, the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes, were Germanic tribes (IIRC . . . don't jump all over me if I get a detail wrong. I'm not a history major, though I do find it extremely interesting.), through their interactions with countries speaking Romance languages, a lot of latin-based words seeped into the language. English has an uncommonly large vocabulary, and, in particular, a larger than average number of words that mean the same thing, with perhaps subtle variations in meaning. (This is one reason why translations of English works are typically longer than the original.) Now, when a country is conquered, for instance, who is most likely to learn the language of the conquerers? The peasant in the fields? Nope. The local ruler. The diplomat, or the educated person, if such a thing exists. And so when we have synonyms, one of which is derived from Latin and one of which is derived from an Anglo-Saxon word, the Latin-based word is the one that has come to be considered more erudite. Consider:

intelligent vs. smart
comic vs. funny
content vs. happy
courageous vs. brave
circuitous vs. roundabout
homogenous vs. similar
peremptory vs. short
penurious vs. cheap
valid vs. true
credence vs. belied
Credulous vs. gullible

and so forth.

(Once again, I'm not sitting here looking up every single word in the OED, but I think my gist is clear.)

So what's the point of all of this? The point is that Latin-based words are often put together from Latin prefixes, suffixes, and root words, which have consistent meaning. So if you have a good knowledge of latin prefixes, suffixes, and roots, you can often puzzle out an unfamiliar word, or at least get insight into it. Even if you don't, though, you might still be able to think of another word in English that comes from the same root word, and work "in parallel" this way.

Anyway, in a minute (after I stretch my knuckles [Big Grin] ) I will make a short, inexhaustive list of roots I can think of off the top of my head, with some examples. If I feel adventurous, I will also look for a web site with more of the same. If one doesn't exist, I will think about someday making one myself!

Megachirops
Member # 4325

The Barons book in particular was one I found grossly inaccurate, back in 1988. Maybe it has improved greatly in the intervening 16 years. Back then, though, they seemed to believe the SAT math section was an achievement test, which it is not.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Dont Know] I've never used the Barons book, and the brother who did so would've in *thinks* '96-97 or so.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Web pages on Latin roots:

This one has a LOT (maybe too many), but is hard to read.

Lots and lots (go down about two pages to find 'em), and gridded -- but still too many.

Better (again, down a couple pages to the grids).

Short, but hits the highlights -- this is the best place to start, I think.

My favorite -- nice grids, good definitions and examples, no extra junk.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

VERBAL

Etymology, continued

Random list of prefixes, suffixes, roots, and examples, in no coherent order

com - with, together

spec - look (inspect, respect, spectacle, spectacular)

anthropos - man, human

philos - love (philanthropy, Philadelphia, bibliophile, pedophile)

morph - shape (anthropomorhic)

eu - good (euphemism)

logos - word, study (eulogy, biology, logic)

pathos - feeling (pathology, empathic, sympathy, pathetic)

sacr-/sacer (?) - holy (sacrosant, sacristy, sacrament, sacred, sacrifice)

verus - truth (veracity, verify, verily)

anti - against (antigen, antipathy, antithesis, antimatter)

ante - before (antedeluvian, anterior, anteroom. antebellum)

archaios - ancient (archaic, archeology)

archos - order, rule (monarch, oligarchy)

bene - well, good (benevolent, benefactor, benediction)

male - bad (malevolent, malefactor, malediction)

epi/ep - on, upon, besides (epicenter, epidermis, epilogue)

thanatos - death, and Piers Anthony's best character ever ;-) (euthanasia, thanatology)

magnus - great (magnum opus, champagne, magnificent)

manus - hand (manuscript, manipulate, manufacture)

mis - wrong, bad (misanthrope)

mono - single (monomania, monochrome, monocracy, monolithic, monopoly)

stereo - having or dealing with three dimensions (stereoscope)

phonos - sound (monophonic, stereophonic, telephone, phonics, phonemes, phonetic)

homo - one, same (homophones, homosexual, homoerotic [okay, so maybe you won't see this one on the SAT ;-)], homogenous)

hetero - many, different (heterosexual, heterogenous, heterodoxy)

nym - name (homonym, eponymous)

syn - same (synonym, synchronize)

ambi - both (ambidextrous, ambivalent)

carn - flesh (carnivorous, incarnation, carnival [to see the connection here, think carneval instead [Smile] ]

cred - believe (incredible, credulous, credibility, credence)

culp - blame (culpable, exculpate)

ambulare - walk, travel (ambulance, ambulate, perambulate)

acer/acri - sour, sharp, bitter (acrimony, acerbic, acrid, exacerbate)

gress (Okay, actually gradi) - go (regress, digress, progress)

trans - across (transgress, transport, transition)

ig - not (ignoble, ignominious)

a - not, without (apathy, amorpheus)

re - back, again (recognize)

pre - before (prescient, precognizant)

super - over, above (superior, superficial, supervise, supercilious)

Can you see the power of association at work as I came up with those? [Big Grin]

And you may have noted that some of these are actually Greek in origin and not Latin (and even one or two Anglo-Saxon, I believe), but it didn't seem worthwhile to distinguish between them as I went through. Also, I did these off the top of my head, and I never took a course in Latin. What matters is whether or not you can apply these to English words, not whether or not I spelled Latin words correctly.

Also, some of the words I came up with as examples suggest other roots that I was too lazy to write down. If I get ambitious, I will go back and add to this.

But this is all for tonight. [Smile]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

[Hail] rivka
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, Ic! If I tried to come up with a list off the top of my head, I don't think I would have even half of those!

[Hail] Icarus!

There's a reason I do web searches -- my brain is becoming swiss-cheese-like in my middle-age. [Big Grin]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

[Blushing]

[Eek!] How did I overlook "Mega"? [Embarrassed]

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Eruve,

quote:
Any other ideas?
Don't study the night before. Have a good day of fun and a good sleep beforehand. Couple sharp pencils and some sense of where to allocate your time (on the stuff you're bad at - don't second guess on the stuff you're good at).

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Defintely, Fallow. It's not a good idea to cram for the SATs. Eruve, I forgot to mention that you should bring a snack and a water bottle to the test with you. And eat a good breakfast beforehand.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

quote:
Unless you are already up there at a 1400-1600 range,
*laughs* Heh, no.

quote:
Vocab cards are good.
I've learned about 35 words that way since I took that practice SAT. [Smile]

quote:
Remember, each question counts the same! So DO NOT allow yourself to get bogged down in one question for a long time. Stop; leave it for after you've done all the others. You may not get back to it, but at least it won't keep you from getting to 5-10 that you could have done in the same time!
I know that's part of my problem. The first 10-15 questions are the easiest, so I shouldn't miss those. But then I came up against a problem that's trickier and I felt like I had to get it because I'm stubborn.

quote:
That page of math facts that they give you on the SAT? Make sure you understand everything on it. No need to memorize it, obviously, but if it takes you an extra 30-60 seconds to figure out which formula or fact you need, that's lost time.
What page of math facts? [Confused]

quote:
And eat a good breakfast beforehand.
What if I don't usually eat breakfast?

Icarus, thanks for the roots list. [Smile] I think I have some greek/latin word roots flash cards somewhere. If I can find them...

[ May 03, 2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids all used the Princeton Review's SAT CD-ROM program for preparing for the SAT. I don't know that it really increased their scores (hard to tell) but it helped them have a better idea of what to expect, and how to take the test. Kind of got them mentally ready for it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished my SATs about two hours before you started this thread. It really wasn't that bad. One girl threw her test book and answers out the window. (It was accidental, but I saw it coming.)
quote:
I'll probably be taking the SAT on June 5, and maybe again at the end of July. (I *don't* want to take the new SAT! )
I hope you've already registered because the deadline for the June 5 one was a week or two ago. And the new SAT won't start until the winter/spring of 2005, so you don't have to worry about it.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

I will try to post more tonight. I have the end of my own year coming, but this is a nice way to take a break from grading and stuff. [Smile]
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Good list Icarus. One thing though. Technically mis means hate. Misogynist, misandry, your example. Otherwise the list is pretty much right on.

I'll try to think of anything good to add.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

What page of math facts?

*blink* Do they really not have a cover page on the math section any more, with formulas and such? (Area formulas, stuff like that.)

Um, am I misremembering? Didn't there use to be a page like that? [Confused]

Ninja Squirrel
Member # 6508

- posted      Profile for Ninja Squirrel   Email Ninja Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my advice is, DO STUDY. Even if you think you know the subject material.

I speak from experience. I was 13 when I took the exam, and I had a big head, thinking I was the smartest thing next to Bean. I thought I could ace without studying at all. I learned that I was wrong. I didn't do too badly (I had 690 on math and 790 on verbal) but if I had studied I would have done much better.

I learned from my own mistakes when I took the SAT 2 the year afterward, and actually studied for that one. Although it was supposed to be the harder test, I did much better at it (720 on writing, 760 on literature and 760 on Math IIC.)

Don't let the test scare you, but take it seriously! Study your behind off!

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I went from scoring poorly to scoring incredibly well. The test is completely possible to study for and Rivka and Megachirops have laid down a solid foundation.
Good luck.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

quote:
*blink* Do they really not have a cover page on the math section any more, with formulas and such? (Area formulas, stuff like that.)

Um, am I misremembering? Didn't there use to be a page like that?

Are you talking about the section in the directions that explains the type of questions and such?

I made sure to not take time reading directions.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

There is a short section at the beginning of each math section that lists area formulae and such.
rivka
Member # 4859

*phew* I was starting to think I'd imagined it -- thanks, Ic!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

And I was starting to panic, thinking there was a section I wasn't prepared for!

---------------------

I've been taking timed math tests, and I've already been noticing some improvement.
[Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Yay! [Big Grin]

As my piano teacher used to tell me, "Practice, practice, practice!"

I quit piano . . .

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know . . . I haven't forgotten about you, but I'm swamped right now. I will write more over the weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Eat a good breakfast in the morning, and go to bed early the night before.

It can really save time to have the Quadratic Formula plugged into your calculator.

Root words are very very useful.

Don't cram-- learning 300 words the night before won't help you at all.

If you finish early, check your work. It's the last thing you want to do, but you never know when you might have bubbled in C when you meant A.

Have plenty of Number 2 pencils and erasers.

Remember to bring identification and all that stuff.

Don't freak out. Really-- you can always take it again, and colleges do look at other things.

Bring AAA batteries just in case your calculator dies.

Always make sure you know whether your calculator is set on radians or degrees.

Try to eliminate wrong answers-- it really is wise to guess if you can eliminate two or more answer choices.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, it's a good idea to guess if you can eliminate even ONE choice with certainty.

And my calculator takes AAs -- might want to check what yours takes. These days, calculators are so inexpensive (I have several nice scientific ones that I got for less than $10 each), I'd just bring a spare.

Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I was thinking of graphing calculators, which cost around 100 dollars.
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*jawdrop* They let you have graphing calculators to take the SATs now??

*feels old*

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Jill,

When you get to the testing facility, clear your mind of all the advice. Focus on taking the test. It's a cakewalk.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.