FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poetry Help

Author Topic: Poetry Help
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, there's this poem I read several years ago and loved. Now I want to show it to my English teacher, but I can't find the book and I don't remember the title or the author. I know, this is a ridiculous request, but if anybody can do it, Hatrack can.

What I do remember:
  • the author is male
  • the poem is absolutely hilarious
  • I thought the title (of the poem, and maybe the book) was "A Poem About Absolutely Nothing" or "Poems About Absolutely Nothing", but neither of those turn up anything useful on Google or Amazon
  • my father thought the title was "Poems in Praise of Absolutely Nothing", but that didn't get me anywhere, either
  • the book itself was at least twenty years old, but I'm sure it was written sometime in the 20th century
  • the book was a small paperback
  • it was in English, and was originally that way
  • I'm pretty sure it was American
  • the poem was quite long, and was a series of discrete sections on various aspects of day-to-day life
Does this ring a bell with anybody?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Thanks, but no.

My mom suggested the author might be Ogden Nash, but I'm not getting anywhere with that, either.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a book called The Paper Doorway: Funny Verse and Nothing Worse. This was the only thing I could find. There's a new search thing on Google called Froogle that might help ou though.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Wierd, the post before mine just disappeared, making it look like I'm talking to myself...

Thanks, alath, but that's not it, either. I'll try Froogle, but I don't think it can find anything that Google can't.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be Poems in Praise of Practically Nothing?

Sounds like that might be it from the description...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Bobaroo. [Smile]

According to a review in Amazon. ,

Nothing from a straight line swerves
So sharply as a woman's curves,
And, having swerved, no might or main
Can ever put her straight again.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

THANK YOU!!!!! [Big Grin]

THANK YOU!!!!

[Hail] Bob

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.