FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Um...what do I do? (this is serious)It's Moving Forward (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Um...what do I do? (this is serious)It's Moving Forward
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I can't really offer any more advice on the current situation,but I do know there are very specific laws about what can and cannot be said by a former employer when you are applying for a new one.

Most places, out of fear of potential litigation, only verify dates of employment. That's it.

There are certain things they can't say to anyone who calls to verify dates of employment. Try not to be too worried about that.

(((Jamie)))

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs mack*

Listen to everyone else about legal action. They're smarter than me. I'm so sorry [Frown] .

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (((mack)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Lawyer trick worked. I got severance and COBRA. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Time to relax a bit, right?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lawyer trick"? Should I resent that?

Probably not. Sending impressive and vaguely threatening letters on official letterhead is one of my favorite "lawyer tricks" too.

I'm glad that part worked out for you.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's why I want to be a prosecutor. Warrants, subpoenas, and indictments get ignore MUCH less often. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I used to send out bench warrants all the time when I worked at a firm doing 100% collections. You'd be surprised how often people completely blow those things off, until they get hauled in following a simple traffic stop.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to pursue it further? Like damages for the fact they shouldn't have fired you in the first place? What did the lawyer say?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, but someone working for a firm can't tell the cops to go get them - they have to wait for either a traffic stop or for the fugitive squad to get around to a bench warrant.

Prosecutors have a much better chance of getting the police to go pick someone up. [Smile]

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it, Dagonee! You're just in it for the power! [Evil]

Mack, excellent! That's really great! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

First you get de suugar. Den you you get de money. Den you get de power. Den you get de women!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises eyebrow* Won't your fiancée mind?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Of course he's in it for the power. He's certainly not in it for the money.
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
if you talk to them at all about it on your own, go wearing a suit or professional type clothing and with a well-rehearsed speech

its amazing how much more people will listen to you if you're wearing a suit and talk confidently.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Shhhhhh! She doesn't read Hatrack (yet).

Dagonee

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just talked to the lawyer. With my strong case and how pissed off I am, we're moving forward with filing a lawsuit. She's sending me the initial paperwork to file with the EEOC and Human Rights Commission.

What, exactly, does that mean? Human Rights Commission?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*over Nick's head*
[Dont Know]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It means that they found the two or three people left who believe in human rights and committed them.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*snort*
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's the name used in some states for the authority that oversees Equal Opportunity issues in employment, housing, accomodations, etc.

Go for it! One quick word of advice: don't let yourself get too emotionally invested in the outcome. These things can be frustratingly slow and the burden of proof is on you. If you do lose for some reason, don't let that convince you that you deserved to be fired.

Dagonee

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.