FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Matter of Taste

Author Topic: A Matter of Taste
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a question that has been going through my head. Do I dislike certain songs, movies or books because of taste or because they are genuinely bad?
For example, Celine Dion. There are only two songs I like by her, the other ones grate on my nerves. Does this mean she is a bad singer? To me she would be a better one if she didnt' SCREATCH her lungs out half the time. If she just sang nice and subtly instead of singing like a pesky DIVA I might like more of her songs.
But most of them just don't move me.
I try to watch these shows, I try to give them a chance but they annoy me so much. The plots irratate me. I want to reach out and smack every character.
Shows that urk me like that- Dharma and Greg, Will and Grace, Seinfeld, Drew Carey, Friends, King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond. Out of pure boredom I'd watch reruns of these and wonder, "Why do so many people like these shows?" They drive me nuts! Lame plots, stupid stereotypes, irratating characters.
Yet are these shows really bad?
I hated the movie Dr. T and the Women and also Batman and Robin, but does it mean that the movies are bad or is it just my tastes?
My tastes are very diverse. I like the occasional action film. Dramas with a bit of comedy. Japanese Animation (Not because it's cool or trendy to like such things, but because they kick ASS. Especially Escaflowne, Evangelion, Mononoke Hime and Haibane Renmei) foreign films.
When it comes to books and music I'll read and listen to just about anything that moves me but there really are some things out there that are trashy with no redeeming qualities.
They are not moving, they don't make me feel anything but disgust. It's like how I feel after eating stuff with transfat in it. Like my brain is now clogged up with junk that just stresses me out and makes me cranky.
What is good and bad entertainment?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Some music is just plain bad. Like my little brother bought that Punisher cd and I just don't get it. All the songs he said were good had like no instruments going and the band was relying on the singers voice to pull the song off and the singer just couldn't sing. It was terrible. Yet somehow my little brother likes that song. Maybe it's because he's only 10.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's all about tastes. There aren't really that many things that are universally considered "bad" in the entertainment industry. As trite, boring, stupid, etc. as I may find many things on TV or on the radio or in film, the fact is, they must have some audience that finds them good, funny, entertaining, etc. else they wouldn't be aired for very long.

Now you can argue about quality and point out poor production values, crappy writing, bad acting, unpleasant voices, etc. all day long, but if you looked long enough you'd probably find someone who enjoys the thing in question.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think taste is a different question from good or bad. I guess the puzzler is why so many shows that are acclaimed peter out and die (see the shows you wish were still on TV thread). Is something as a common taste make it vulgar and therefore no good? Or are things that are vulgar more likely to be commonly embraced? I mean vulgar here not necessarily as decency, but as things that take no effort to appreciate. Like reality TV. Slapstick. Games with huge cash prizes.

My definition of morality encompasses far more than sexual conduct. It includes whether something pushes people to be more childish or more adult. But... I do think there is a need for rest and regrouping. There is a place for sheer entertainment. And everyone gets to determine the balance for themselves.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What are some examples some of you have of good art vs smut?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Since "bad" is wholly subjective to the person defining it, I'm not sure you could separate "It's not to my taste" from "I think it's bad."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.