FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laptop CPU speed problems (it keeps changing!)

Author Topic: Laptop CPU speed problems (it keeps changing!)
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, 1600 MGHz Pentium-M processor. Only in the last month or so it keeps changing. Right now it's clocking at 599MHz, and so of course everything is slowed way down (and now, I'm not just underutilizing the CPU, it's at 100% usage). I think it started when I began to use it on battery and changed the power scheme. Only I've changed that to every possible setting and it deosn't seem to help at all. Any ideas? Any place I should look to fix this?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I have no idea how to help you. But to anyone else out there who's thinking of buying a laptop, at the moment, I'd say don't buy a Dell. Mine broke when it was four months old and I had to completely reformat the blasted thing.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how to fix it, but many laptops purposely lower the CPU speed when on battery power in order to reduce power drain. Some also lower the CPU speed when it gets hot (like when you are running at 100% CPU).
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go into the control panel, look for power management, and it'll be controlled under the "speed-step technology" tab, normally your laptop will cut the processor speed in half when it's on battery power, and put it back up when it is plugged in, this is to conserve power so you laptop lasts longer because usually the two largest drains of power on a laptop is the processor and the LCD (not including having an optical drive spinning all the time). However, seemingly some dells have a minor problem where they won't ever run at full processor...though I've only seen it happen with one, and that was a model that always had overheating problems anyways. Diagnosis: no problem at all, your laptop is probably running just as it should.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
SS - I'm wondering - how did your Dell break? Did the programs not work right (since you mention a reformat), or did you end up losing your drive and had to replace the drive and reinstall everything?

I've had my Dell 1100 for almost a year now, and with the exception of some crappy Linksys software (which is thankfully gone), it's been perfect so far. Then again, I'll never buy a Toshiba due to all the display adapter problems that they have been known to have.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, be sure to download the latest drivers, firmware, and BIOS updates for your laptop from the Dell site. Several Dell laptops have a known problem with Intel SpeedStep; they misbehave and clock down to around half speed even when plugged in and/or at full charge.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to buy a computer of any kind don't buy a Dell. Hell, if you insist on getting a prefab. comp. your only good choice is IBM.

They are the only ones that I know of that give you an actual XP/[opperatingsystemhere] disc. Every other company gives you that Not-Quite-XP-Disc.

Further more, they don't load your system down with garbage that you are just going to take off anyway, and when you use that Not-Quite-XP-Disc after a problem, all of the crap comes back!

Two reasons you should go with IBM. I am sure there are more, but that is all I have at this point. When I buy my first laptop, I will have more. So, make the planet a better place, choose IBM.

Oh, and Hobbes, I say sell it on e-bay, get a decent turn around, and get a decent laptop.

[ May 09, 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
STN, sadly, doesn't know what he's talking about. You've got a great laptop, Hobbes, despite the problems.

It should still be under warranty, actually. Have you tried calling support?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam11dav
Member # 13696

- posted      Profile for sam11dav   Email sam11dav         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this post
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, 1600 MGHz Pentium-M processor.
LOL UR COMPUTER IS ANCIENT
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
MAYBE UR PROBLEM IS UR COMPUTER SAW A COPY OF BF1 AND MELTED
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, but at least the me that owned that laptop didn't have Trump as president. Now which one of us looks like the idiot?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

- posted      Profile for MarekAgain           Edit/Delete Post 
wow, ancient thread
Posts: 108 | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Maybe, but at least the me that owned that laptop didn't have Trump as president. Now which one of us looks like the idiot?

Hobbes [Smile]

o shi
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I think rogger007 is really onto something here. I feel incredibly reassured that iphonesupport.net/i-cloud-customer-support/ is available to help with all my potential Laptop CPU speed problems.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.