FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Mother's day!

Author Topic: Happy Mother's day!
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Mother's day to all you mothers out there! I just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated greatly! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
And your post is appreciated, too...by me, at least. [Smile]

(For some reason, it makes me feel sad that no one else responded to this post. [Frown] )

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Ela, don't be sad. People were probably out celebrating, instead of posting on Hatrack.

[Smile]

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

[Wave]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

jexx, perhaps you misunderstand me. It makes me sad that NO ONE responded to this thread - not that mothers didn't respond to this thread...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks guilty*

In my defense, I did wish everyone I ran into a Happy Mother's Day.

Katie: "Happy Mother's Day!"
22YOMH: [Razz]

No one really seemed touched.

[ May 10, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't on hatrack at all yesterday. [Smile]

Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all the Hatrack Mothers!!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with Mother's Day, anyway? You get up at five in the morning, eat something your kids made themselves (which likely has chicken fat in it, or whatever else they found going rancid under the counter), and then clean up the huge mess they made on the kitchen counter with glue and glitter. How is that much different from any other day?

Mother's Day should include kicking the kids and Dad out of the house, or going shopping by yourself. That's a REAL Mother's Day. [Razz]

But...I did get my first Mother's Day cards this year. Jesse's had two pieces of tissue glued to the front (they were flowers). And Jillian's had scribbles all over the inside. *happy sigh* [Big Grin]

------

I'm reminded of the short story "I Want a Wife." (I can't remember the author right now.) It says something like "I want a wife who'll take care of the kids and all the arrangements so that I can relax on my vacation".

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I don't know about you, but I sure wasn't up at 5AM. 10:30AM was more like it. None of that stereotyped "breakfast-in-bed" stuff. But in our family, Mother's Day has always been just another excuse to spend time together as a family, which is exactly what we did.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
But isn't everything an excuse to spend time together as a family?

You know I'm being snarky about that, right? I love it when my kids do that stuff.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you thinking of Rebecca Lynn Howard's song--"I need a vacation from my life."

Its refrain goes:
quote:
I need a vacation from my life
Me and my husband we need a wife
Somebody who's sole ambition is laundry
I wanna fall asleep on "MY" patio swing
While somebody else does the dishes and cleans
Mariachi's could stroll through the yard and play softly
Wouldn't even have to leave 2523 General George Patton Drive
And I need a vacation from my life

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mr. Funny. [Smile] I don't like Mother's Day, generally, but it's always so nice to be appreciated.

The nicest part of the day for me was getting to transplant my new almost-dead flowers (because they didn't get watered while I was in Oakland last week and I hadn't had time to plant them all before I left) into brand new pretty pots. This morning the flowers were looking a lot perkier.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No, it's called "Why I Want a Wife" by Judy Brady. All husbands should read it, it's great. Maybe I can find a link.

Here it is.

Published in 1971 under a different last name.

[ May 10, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me feel guilty, but I understand the sentiment.

The summer before my senior year of college, I lived with two of my best friends. One of them had graduated the year before, worked for a year professionally, and had no bills beyond $250 a month rent and food, and she disliked her job. So, she quit and didn't get another one for almost a year, when she went back to school.

Since she was around, she chose to (I swear - we certainly didn't expect her to) she chose to keep the house clean, feed the pets, plan parties, and cook the three of us dinner about four nights a week. It was fabulous! If that's what having a wife entails, no wonder there was resistence to change! What a deal!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
We visited Diane's mother for Mother's Day. For a variety of reasons, I was extremely sleep-deprived this week and didn't get an order for flowers to my Mom in a timely enough manner for them to get there until today.

I crashed hard Saturday night - slept over eleven hours.

We got caught in extreme traffic on the way back to Chicago and it wasn't until about 6 pm ET that I made my call to my Mom. She was just glad to hear me. And my profuse apologies.

Today she called to say the flowers arrived and they're beautiful.

She also said I shouldn't have done it because they're so expensive.

Quote: "Your guilt was gift enough."

[Smile]

Those are her exact words.

*wipes tear*

There's no one like Mom, is there?

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife had to get up at the normal time for Church Sunday morning, but she did get breakfast in bed. I made it, not my kids, so it was pretty good (french toast and strawberries), but the kids did wake up just in time to help me carry it in to Mom.

The four-year-old sang Mother's Day songs with the other youngsters at Church, which always tickles my wife. She also got the obligatory flower. The kids made her cards in their little classes, and the two-year-old proudly presented a photo of himself in his Sunday tie and vest in a popsicle-stick frame.

She normally has additional Sunday afternoon meetings, but she got out of all those and instead got a nap. After she got up, the boys and I had her open her gifts, which in addition to the above included a freezeable mug (picked by the four-year-old, who had broken another of her mugs a couple of months ago and was set on getting her another) and a nice pair of sandals. After that, we had a big pot roast dinner (which I made), but she wasn't able to eat much of it because the pregnancy-induced heartburn was flaring up again. Then I took the boys out to play so she could take a walk, alone.

Then, this morning, we had the ultrasound. I left work for an hour or so so I could be there. Everything looks great, and they say it's going to be a girl. So we're very happy.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.