FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Snape moves in (now with Herbetological Update of my events)

Author Topic: Snape moves in (now with Herbetological Update of my events)
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, on the way to my Mothers for Mother's Day Brunch, my wife and I were stopped in our tracks.

A six foot long black snake meandered across our front walk and slid into our overgrown front yard.

I had heard something snakelike slithering in our yard earlier in the week, but had not found the culprit. Here he was sunning himself on our sidewalk.

Talking with my mother-in-law, a Master Garderner who has some snake info as part of her job, I discovered that this nasty looking large black snake is actually a good thing, eating young poisonous snakes and other nasty things like rats. He should be a welcome addition to our environment.

So, as I put down the 8 foot long snake whacking pole I decided to name our new yard mate--Professor Snape.

Why Snape? He's a big slythereen that I don't particularly like, or that doesn't appreciate me, but he is supposedly a good guy.

[ May 24, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw how cute! I want to see a picture of him. *Is glad you are not killing him.*
Reminds me of Wind in the Door and the snake they had there.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Black snakes are very good. And almost tame, in comparison with other "wild" snakes -- I have caught many a black snake and held it with no problem (no recourse).

They will take care of your mice, etc. Most people are just scared of them because they can grow so frickin' big and long.

If you don't want it anymore, let me have it to release in my garden...

Farmgirl

[ May 10, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
THis is begging for the OOC...
quote:
Black snacks are very good.
[Big Grin]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] yum!!

FG
(p.s. -- I corrected my error...)

[ May 10, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Snape is the most fascinating character in the series. He's quite complex, and you can never quite figure him out. He's not a "good guy" but he's not a bad one completely either. That is, he's on the right side but he's an unpleasant chap.....

*waits for next book to come out*

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait away, but while you are waiting, also hope it's better than the last one. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You've read number five, right Yank?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Snape. Snape is brave. He was probaly the one that told Dumbledore that Voldermort was planning to kill Harry's parents, I think. And James had been so cruel to him.
I hope there's a lot more of Snape in the next book.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I've read number five! It was one of my first priorities on returning.

[Smile]

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Book 5 was my favorite!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

More on the Slythereen House that is my back yard.

Besides Snape, who is a five and a half foot long black snake lurking in my weeds.

We had a minion of the unnamed one himself. He tried to attack my wife, who was riding a Firebolt 2000 disguised as a John Deere Lawnmower. Luckily for my wife, this evil snake could not handle the lawn mower blades.

Unluckilly for me, I got to go outside and clean up the mess.

But that's not all folks. More reptiles.

Our backyard has a fenced in area where we allow our dog to run free.

Our dog chases anything with fur. However, he seems uninterested in chasing reptiles. A box turtle has been sharing his private space, on and off, for years. Last week I noticed that the turtle was digging a nest, right in the middle of the back yard. Tom the Turtle is really Tanya the Turtle.

I have eye witness proof.

Saturday morning I got up and let our dog out.

There was Tanya, in her nest, with a...

how do I say this...

gentleman caller? But he was being no gentleman.

Our dog did not care, and went out to water the trees and sleep in the sun.

I excused myself from the amorous couple, and left them to their reptilian romps.

As for those looking for Harry Potter news. May I suggest checking out this article . May give us leads to whats in book six.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So is Snape no more due to the lawnmower or was it a different snake?

Tanya and Tom will have Turtle Tots?

AJ

P.S. I think it is Herpetelogical...

Herbetelogical would involve basil and thyme...

[ May 24, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Could you take a picture of all these critters and post them?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I'll try to get photos, but my camera is never around when they are.

Snape is still around, it was a smaller one that got eaten by the lawnmower.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.