FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AOL is the Devil.

Author Topic: AOL is the Devil.
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tired of AIM kicking me off. I'm tired of fixing the computers of sweet old ladies who were suckered into using AOL as their ISP because it's "user friendly" (my eye!) I hereby designate this to be the Thread of Complaints!
(Also, this is a good place to complain about Microsoft, because *everyplace* is a good place to complain about Microsoft).

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
AIM is, in fact, the devil.

But I love it. [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
**signs on to AIM hoping TTT is there [Smile] ::
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

tt&t is, in fact, there.

As you now know. [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
If AOL is the devil, T must be The Snake.

And, Zevlag, tt&t doesn't like Dr. Pepper. I'm pretty sure she's wrapped up in this, too.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Yes, but Goat, give me credit for trying it. I had to hunt high & low for that. And all for you! Well. And Joshy. [Razz]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
DaGoat: Yes, ttt, I give you credit for trying it.
[...]
ttt: thank you, Goat.
DaGoat: But I[] still can't believe you don't like it.
[...]
ttt: oh, goat, come on
ttt: give me credit in the thread
ttt: I need proof

So, there you go.

[ May 19, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
AIM is the devil -- use Gaim instead! [Big Grin]

As far as Dr. Pepper goes, my response to their claim that the diet tastes more like the regular is: "Why would you say that like it's a good thing?!" BLEH!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmm.... Dr. Pepper
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper *right now*!!

mmmmmm

Oh, and Diet Dr. Pepper doesn't taste like regular Dr. Pepper. It doesn't even taste like soda. It tastes like battery acid. So sez I.

I use Trillian. I like it quite a lot.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and Diet Dr. Pepper . . . doesn't even taste like soda. It tastes like battery acid. So sez I.

Oh, so then it DOES taste just like the regular Dr. Pepper!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Wow. Apparently AOL is no longer the devil. Dr Pepper is! [Evil]
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
tt&t, I thought you were the devil. [Evil] vv [Wink] Just kidding. You are pretty cool, though. [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love Dr. Pepper until one day I opened one, took a sip, and pulled a piece of cardboard out of my mouth.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, perhaps if you put the cardboard back in, it'll taste like you remembered.

[ May 11, 2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
How can AOL be the devil when it is so polite? It greets you when you sign on, kindly alerts you when you have new e-mail, and bids you a fond "Goodbye" when you sign off. I think AOL is a fine program.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Pepper is not the devil! ::scowls::

I guess I can forgive her for not liking it. Atleast she tried it [Smile] yay!

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can AOL be the devil when it is so polite? It greets you when you sign on, kindly alerts you when you have new e-mail, and bids you a fond "Goodbye" when you sign off.
I am sure the devil is a very polite person/entity. Ever read the ScrewTape Letters?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My one and only experience with AOL (I've never used them as an internet service provider).

An acquiantance I know wanted to sign up for AOL's "free trial". Of course, the "free trial" makes you put in financial information "in case you go over the 30-day free trial" thingy. It wanted bank account # or credit card info.

He didn't have a bank account. Or a credit card. (yeah, he's not worth much). However, he did happen to notice, lying on his desk, a check from ME for an auto part I bought from him. So he apparently thought "what the heck -- I'll use this bank account number (from the bottom of the check) and cancel before the end of 30 days, or give them new account info, and she will never know" (That's right, without my permission)

So he signs up. A month or so later, he calls and cancels AOL (he just wanted on-line long enough to get signed up for something free like Netzero, I guess -- this is speculation)

However, AOL doesn't cancel.

A couple months later, I notice in my bank statement an AOL charge for service. I've never used AOL. So I call them up (hold, hold, hold)

"calling about your deduction from my account for AOL service.."

"what is your AOL account name"

"I don't HAVE an AOL account name -- I don't USE AOL!"

"if we are taking service charge from your account, you must have an AOL account"

"no, I don't!"

(this went on like this for several minutes until I get transferred to a supervisor.) Repeat above scenario. I say (exasperated) "Can't you just look up my bank account number there and see who is using it?" No.

I stop-pay the payment on the account at the bank, reverse charges. Costs me $5 for the stop-pay.

Next month, same thing. Another call to AOL to try to find out why they are charging my account. I fax them a copy of the bank statement. I talk to supervisors. I'm assured it will be taken care of.

I stop-pay the payment.

Next month, same story, different verse.

This went on for SIX months! Finally, in frustration, I close the bank account and open one with a new number so they can no longer charge the account.

Yeah -- in relating this story several months later said acquaintance fesses up that he used my info -- but that he had immediately cancelled, so it should never have hit my account at all.

AOL is the devil.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ever read the ScrewTape Letters?
Nope
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have time, I recommend The ScrewTape Letters. It is a very interesting communication between a seemingly polite senior devil and his nephew Wormwood. The book is a collection of letters advising Wormwood how to corrupt a young man. At the end of the book there is a section called "ScrewTape Proposes a Toast" that examine education. A very fine work of art indeed.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on good authority that I am the Devil.

[Evil]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly even better than reading "The Screwtape Letters" is listening to John Cleese narrate them. It is pure genius.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

So you think that the kind fellow doing the greetings on AOL is the devil?
tt&t
Member # 5600

So Scott R = AOL = Dr Pepper = the Devil? [Eek!]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

'Scott R' sounds more like a beer than a pop, though.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*waits for everyone to download MSN Messenger and put AIM out of business* [Wave]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Possibly even better than reading "The Screwtape Letters" is listening to John Cleese narrate them. It is pure genius
This is absolutely true. Anyone who has not heard this, must.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.