FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HELP ME MAKE RAIA GO TO PROM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HELP ME MAKE RAIA GO TO PROM
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah if you think she should go to prom say so here [Taunt]
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
don't do it raia....

i had 50 million people trying to make me go and asking me to go but i never gave in so you shouldn't either....

don't give in to peer presssure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I think you'd enjoy your prom if you have good friends with whom you can go.

If you disagree though, screw 'em and say NO! [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Take incriminating pictures and post them on the Internet.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Prom's not worth it. Tap an afterparty instead.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
None of my older siblings had gone to prom and I was dead set against going years before my actual prom. Then, one of my best friend's teachers decided to make it her personal project to make her go. She knew that we were best friends so she decided that if she encougarged me to go, then my friend would go too. She was on the Senior Committee or whatever, and got us free tickets, dresses, etc. It still took a LOT of convincing from other friends, because I didn't want to on principle. But in the end with everything free and SOOOO much pressure to go, I went ahead and went. I didn't have a date due to deciding to go the night before, so I just went with a group of friends and I was shocked by having a LOT of fun! I was really glad that I went.

So Raia, if you have fun people to hang out with, why not go? If nothing else, it's fun to see everybody all prettied up!

[ May 12, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote Raia goes too. She can borrow stryker, or she doesn't need a date. And she will have fun
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I leave you all for a bit, and look what happens? A thread making the board coerce me to go to prom! *shakes head* Kidyanna, what will you get up to next?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
She traded me off, remember, but Marry Ellis needs a date (we'll pick you up around 6)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
wait no, pick someone else, raia IM me, and we can pick you the perfect date, do you think fletcher would let chance come? that sounds fun.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
please come we had so much fun last year and for you there is no next year [Cry]
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

If you don't both shut up, I will vandalize both your cars, and drug you so that neither one of you can go.

I will come if I want to, and for no other reason. You will not pick me up at 6:00, and I am not going with Mary Ellis.

Now, is that quite clear? I don't want to have to revisit this again!

(edit: Kidyanna, that wasn't addressed at you)

[ May 12, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I"m posting so she will think i commented again. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ooh, you fooled me. [Roll Eyes]
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I should note that Lalo's suggestion is nigh implied in my post. Prom itself isn't incriminating enough, though you should certainly go anyway.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
oh come on. just go.

Its no different then spending 10 bowling on a saterday night.

And you get to dress up! why not just let marry-ellis and tyler drag you along. If nothing eles you get to see your friends dressed in their finnest.

You can easly spend that much at a movie and not get the chance to play dress up [Big Grin]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Stick to your guns Raia. Do something more fun and more personal instead...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm sorry Raia, I understand that you don't really want to go, but I will miss you there. It is one night I wanted to spend with friends and now you aren't going. Well I will live, and stop bugging you. Wow stryker told you what time he would pick you up, but not me, unfair.

Sarah

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who didn't go to Prom because the opportunity was not available to me having been homeschooled, I will tell you that the first six months of college all of the girls are going to re-hash and compare their prom experiences frequently. After that no one cares. It may have bothered me not because I didn't go to one, but because I didn't have the Choice of whether I could go or not.

And as I recall you are going to Isreal so you probably won't hear the same amount of flak, since as far as I know Prom is only a U.S. tradition. (Do Canadians have proms?)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

so what bannaOJ said was much better than what I said, but Raia I will miss you.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We could always have an on-line Hatrack Formal. Or just save your perfect hair and perfect dress for the Rackademy Awards.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Canadians sure do have proms, and they're just as lame as American ones [Wink]

Not to say that I didn't enjoy my prom, but it didn't change my life. Nobody really cares. The stories you tell at college are of trips and competitions. Plays you've been in, concerts, shows you've seen. And how much you miss Mom's cookin' [Smile] Prom ranks pretty low on that scale. Nobody will ask to see your yearbook, nobody will ask for a list of references to see how popular you were. In the end, the only person who'll really care about what you did is you.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

they are all right.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Bob, Prom probably ranks higher on the female scale than the male as far as discussion topics go. And now that I think about it I think it was discussed a bit sophomore year too. After that everyone was too busy to reash something so trivial anymore.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! I'll just add that to my list of reasons why I'm glad I'm not a girl [Wink]

Thing is, I don't think doing something you wont enjoy just so you'll be able to talk about it afterwards is the best reason to be doing it (shut up, twink). It's not like you're going to be ostracized for it and it's not like you won't understand what the other girls are talking about. "Prom, what is this prom you speak of? Dresses AND balloons!? The mind boggles, I just can't picture it!"

I mean, really, if you want to be prepared for every topic of conversation that may come up in college there are a whole lot more things you're probably going to have to do than go to prom.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Bob you are absolutely right, in the grand scheme of things, it probably isn't going to matter for the rest of your life whether you went to prom or not (unless you behave incredibly stupidly when it comes to your sexuality)

However she also needs to weigh the fact that she might have a slight twinge of regret about not going at some point in her life. Considering I have far stronger twinges about other things in my life it won't be a major thing. But, if she indulges in "what would it have been like if..." daydreams on a regular basis already and it is a normal part of her character, then she should consider going. If however she is like I think she is, generally down to earth and endowed with a healthy helping of common sense (which isn't at all common) then she probably won't beat herself up emotionally for the next decade for not going to prom.

There is the just plain fun aspect in its favor, or maybe having not been to one I have romanticized it too much. My take on actually going though is that it is one of the few nights you actually get to dress up like a princess and be radiant and know that you are beautiful, even if your feet hurt like hell by the end of the night. While I have an extrordanarily practical nature every now and again I wish I could indulge in that aspect of myself. But most of the time I don't have time nor would it be appropriate in my working environment.

AJ

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

You do realize that we're in complete agreement, right, Banna? She's a smart girl and understands the pros and cons of going. Well she regret it, will she have fun, etc.

I'm just dithering along in this conversation because I like talking to you [Razz]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Grumble] @#$%# Canajuns [Grumble]

[Wink]
AJ

SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have told her countless times to go. But what is one more? Got to prom, or else.... :: shakes fist menacingly ::
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Sober, she doesn't have to go if she doesn't want to. If she is happier not going then respect her decision. As stated previously it ISN'T the end of the world if she doesn't go!

AJ

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who arranges After Prom events for a living, if your school is having an After Prom, go to it at least.

I have seen way to many drunk kids pull up to the event after its over, just to make sure that they had more fun getting drunk than the other kids had doing Sumo, or Karaoke, or winning TV's and new Cars.

One drunk night is pretty much like every drunk night. But an After Prom only comes around once or twice in your lifetime. I mean, how often do you get a chance to throw yourself on a velcro wall?

If your school doesn't do an After Prom, or it is a lame affair consisting of pizza and old movies on VHS, give them my card for next year.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My take on actually going though is that it is one of the few nights you actually get to dress up like a princess and be radiant and know that you are beautiful, even if your feet hurt like hell by the end of the night.
Aside from the feet part, that was my experience with Junior Prom. It's one of the two days of my life I actually looked beautiful.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a gay boy with you. We make excellent dates!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
^ so very true.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*dances the night away at Prom with all the lovely ladies*
[Party]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*dances the night away at Prom with all the lovely ladies* [Party]

Those Graemlins are hot!!
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm really smokin' now!

*tears it up on the dancefloor*

*swings Raia around and dips her to the floor*

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As someone who didn't go to Prom because the opportunity was not available to me having been homeschooled, I will tell you that the first six months of college all of the girls are going to re-hash and compare their prom experiences frequently. After that no one cares. It may have bothered me not because I didn't go to one, but because I didn't have the Choice of whether I could go or not.
I can't recall one single discussion rehashing proms in my first six months of college or at any other time during college, to tell you the truth.

I didn't go to my high school prom either. It wasn't because we didn't have one, because we did. I didn't have a date and I don't think people really went without dates in my school. I never really bothered to find out because, to tell you the truth, I really didn't care that much.

At this point in my life, not having gone to a prom is a blip in the horizon, having no significance to my life.

And it definitely won't be a topic of discussion in Israel, either, I can guarantee you that.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I went, but it was so boring we left after about half an hour. We went out for éclairs and then went back to his house. His parents weren’t home yet, and we later learned that they’d met up with my parents taking pictures at the grand march and gone out for pie together. Yep, you read that right, we beat our parents home on prom night. [Laugh]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Take a gay boy with you. We make excellent dates!
Yes indeed, this is a true statement. [Big Grin] My date to my senior prom was a gay boy, and we had a complete blast! It was my favorite of my high school dances (granted I only went to three).

I don't have anything to add to this prom debate, Raia. Though I'm one of the people that falls into the "do it because you get to dress up like a princess" category. [Smile] I do think you will have a fun night if you go, but only if you go because you want to and not because of all the pressure. But then, you know that, and many people have already said that. I'm shutting up now... [Wink]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I wish I'd seen all this before I let them talk me into it today... well, I didn't really have a choice. Let me quote blacwolve at the lunch table: "Oh, you do have a choice! It's either go to prom, or get decapitated." Yeah, um, real tough decision there.

I mean, I probably won't regret going... it should be fun, with all my friends. But it will probably be awkward, since they all have dates, and I don't even have a dress yet, let alone someone to go with. I just kind of got sick of the whole idea behind prom a few weeks ago, so I wasn't going to go, since it was a lot of pressure, and stress, and tension where it wasn't necessary. But oh well. I should shut up about that, just get a dress somewhere (which I told my lunch groupies that they're paying for, since they're making me go), and shelve my pride... let them drag me there. It's not like I've ever been assertive about anything, why should this matter?

I'll post after prom, and tell you all if it was a total disaster. [Razz]

Thanks for all the advice everyone... if I had a choice here, I would consider it all carefully before giving in to my friends! As it is, I read it all thoroughly. And incidentally, I would absolutely love to wear that dress that Mrs. M chose for me in her 'Rackademy Awards fashion thread, but alas, I don't have that one!

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'll pitch in ten dollars to the buy raia a dress fund. I'm sorry that we convinced you to go, but I really don't think I was planning on going untill you had my date ask me.
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, I have a dress... can't really back out now, can I? [Razz]

It's dark red (a sort of wine color), and it's really pretty. I'm starting to feel a little better about this now.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yay yay yay yay yay [The Wave]
I can't wait well I guess i can, I tried a hair style today, it was awful.

Raia
Member # 4700

*bump* [Wall Bash]

Four days until prom, and I've asked three people -- one is taken, and the parents of the other two won't let them go!

I am SO close to giving up.

tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Raia)))))

A date isn't necessary, you know. [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

We leave for prom in about 2 hours, well the dinner portion, so Wish us luck in getting raia there (just kidding she is coming date or no date)
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, holy crap, grown men say they can't go because mommy says no?

The Midwest depresses me.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I think these so called grown men were 15.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're going to prom, Raia. I convinced Toretha to go last year and she was gorgeous. Fyfe also decided to go this year and let me do her hair and stuff and it was fun. Also, I took a 14-year-old to prom last year. Your prospective dates' parents must be real pansies. :-P
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.