FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Summer in London!

Author Topic: Summer in London!
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
On May 24th, I'm leaving to study in London for two and a half months.

[Party]

So excited! Anyone here have any particular suggestions for things I should do/see in the UK and in continental Europe?

Also, I'm going to be keeping a blog while I'm overseas -- drop by and say hi! [Smile]

Kasie in London

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the Texas Embassy and be nostalgic for me. I think it's around Piccadilly Circus. (I was only in London for two days, and that's the only really non-tourist place I got to go.)
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Get drunk in a pub and participate in a soccer riot.

Ah, the joys of living vicariously...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone here have any particular suggestions for things I should do/see in the UK and in continental Europe?
France. All of it. [Smile]

I can't recommend anything in the UK, having never been there, but if you get the chance to hop across the chunnel, spend some time in Brittany, especially the Quimper area and the Vannes area. It's God's private garden, I believe.

[ May 13, 2004, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Drop by Oxford on a weekend - Sunday June 6th is good - I know I'll be there then - and I'll show you round.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
London's such a great city and it's wonderful in summer 'cause it's sunny and everyone's in a good mood! It really does rival New York. Since I'm a historian, London is great for me because it's existed for two thousand years and you can still see how it's grown. I did some work experience at the Museum of London, so I know more about it than most.

Okay, so things to do - Definitely go on the London Eye, a giant ferris wheel, from the top of which you can see almost the whole of London, but go on a fine day, not when it’s cloudy.
Go to as many plays as you can, there's some of the best theatre in the world - Oh, and make sure you do go to the Globe, it's wonderful. Oxford and Regent’s Street have amazing shopping and there’s a brilliant nightlife if that's what your into.

As for what else to do, I'd visit Scotland (Edinburgh or Glasgow are cool), maybe go over to Wales (Pembrokeshire is gorgeous in the summer), try to get to Ireland, and visit some of the smaller cities, like Oxford or York, which is so beautiful, I moved there.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for you! I'm a puddle of jealousy [Smile]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh!
I'm going to London for a week and a half in June!
[Big Grin]
(edit: and a day trip into Paris! [Big Grin] )

[ May 13, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stopping off briefly in London on June 21st and 22nd. We should have a Hatrack party or something.

I will also be in Italy and Germany for a few weeks before that, if anyone wants to buy me a gelato or a...um...well-crafted, efficient, no-nonsense something.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
DO NOT GO SEE ROMEO AND JULIET AT THE GLOBE!

It sucks.

Are all Hatrackers planning to come to Europe when I'm in the US?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kasie!

You're going to be back in time for KamaCon, aren't you??

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama - Which sucks, R&J or the Globe?
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
oh wait... I think it was Hamlet that sucked.

Yup.

Sorry.

(At the Globe, not in general)

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Farmgirl,

Yup. I'm back in the country August 8th.

At least, that's the plan now. If I do decide to stay and travel, I can only stay in the EU another 15 days without a visa.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Christy and I saw Hamlet at the Globe a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Different casts, I suppose....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Prague!!!! Go to Prague! Where's Lissande...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
London... hmm.

Liberty I think is a great place to go see in terms of a posh posh department store in a tudor facade. Plus - how many department stores have 5000 pound wardrobes in their ground floor?!

The Tate British (Art Gallery) is great in terms of portraits and some landscapes. I didn't enjoy the Tate Modern that much... except for the installation art in the lobby which was brilliant!

And of course the Underground. Ride it as much as you can. [Big Grin]

Hamleys and Harrods are always fun, and I second the recommendation of the London Eye.

If you get across to Paris, go to Montmatre and go to the Dali museum. Well worth it.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the countryside much more than I loved London (although I'm sure it was the opposite for Tom). I think one of my favorite places was Old Sarum.

Here's our honeymoon journal, where we visited England and Ireland.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ushi
Member # 6538

- posted      Profile for ushi   Email ushi         Edit/Delete Post 
Best way to see London is to travel round on buses, not the tube. That way you get to see all the little side streets that hide secret treasures, and find out where everything is geographically.

Three places that rock: Charing Cross Road - they have the BEST bookshops there.

Patiserrie Valerie - the BEST cakes this side of Paris

The Photographers Gallery/ Portrait Gallery - the first one is in Covent Garden, free, and you go in there for coffee and sweets and look at the exhibitions. The second one is a leedle expensive but the restaurant is on the top floor, and has a huge window that shows all of London from the rooftop - juss like Mary Poppins' London.

I live in Pimlico (Central London), on the river, and if you wanted someone to hang out with, we could meet up, no?

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very jealous, Kasie. I'll probably be going to England again end of this year, but I'm really envious of the all the copious amounts of TIME you'll be spending there.

I'm lucky if I can eek out three weeks. Two and a half months sounds heaven.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Ushi, remind me where Patisserie Valerie is - a friend of mine took me there a few years ago and I wanted to take my boyfriend but couldn't remember where it was!!! I know it's in the Bond Street area but that's all I know.

All the recommendations here are pretty sharp - the London Eye is fab on a clear day, and the Charing Cross Road does indeed have the best bookshops.

I'm a fan of Covent Garden, especially the street entertainers and the joys of people-watching. The Globe totally rocks - I really enjoyed both Hamlet and Antony and Cleopatra when I saw them there - get the £5 standing tickets and get as close to the stage as you can - the atmosphere is amazing. Hyde Park is nice, but never ever buy food there - it's insanely expensive. If you rollerblade, that's the place to do it. There's free jazz at the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank on weekend lunchtimes, and that's quite fun.

And as I say, come to Oxford on a Sunday - June 6th and 13th are both good times for me - and any other British Jatraqueros, please feel free to do the same. E-mail me at amira.tharani@balliol.ox.ac.uk and we can sort something out. Dante, we must meet up this time - let me know if you will be in London or Oxford.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love Britain. I was there this past summer for a week, and it was an incredible amount of fun. I intended to travel around more than I did, but there was so much to see and do in London that I didn't make it out very much.

Ironically, you'll probably find that in the summer there are almost as many Americans in London as there are Britons.

Recommendations:
The Imperial War Museum--I spent an entire day there, and still didn't come close to seeing it all. I suspect that you may not be as interested in war as I am, but I highly recommend that you at least take a look.
The National Gallery--Another place where I spent almost all day. If you like art at all then you'll be enthralled.
Westminster Abbey--Practically all of British history lies in state at Westminster Abbey. It's also amazingly beautiful.
The Tower of London--it's expensive (13-20 pounds)but worth it. The crown jewels are there, and the Beefeaters (who are all retired Sergeant Majors in the British Army and Royal Marines) give absolutely first rate tours. The Beefeater tour is probably one of the best tours you'll ever get anywhere.

These recommendations are pretty conventional stuff, but they deserve high billing.

I found London to be like a mix of Washington D.C. (with government and military attractions) and New York City (with arts, shopping and entertainment). It's a really great place. However, be warned that London is also a very expensive place. You'll pay out the nose for everything.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ushi
Member # 6538

- posted      Profile for ushi   Email ushi         Edit/Delete Post 
Amira, Patisserie Valerie is Old Compton Street in Soho - but nearer to Charing Cross Road than Bond Street. As in adjacent to it.

Walking through Holborn and Bank (the *city* city) on the weekend is very cool because it is empty (as in no people, no traffic) and the amazing architecture really stands out.

There is a pub in Wapping (three stops from Bank) that is on the river and still has the gallows from which they hung pirates. The pub is called The Prospect of Whitby and is down a little cobbled street that holds old warehouses converted into flats.

If you can, one night - if it is raining - you must go for a walk. It doesn't matter where, but myself and several friends maintain that London is a different city altogether at night, in the rain. It's almost like strange tall people come in and change everything around like in Dark City.

Anyone wanting to hang out in London, eat delicious cakes and discuss pretty words this summer is very welcome to email me at ushi_udon@yahoo.com

[ May 16, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: ushi ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Wow...you guys have got me so excited.

*scribbles madly*

...maybe I'll just print out the thread.

Bookshops... [Big Grin]

cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going for the weekend on May 28th - but as I only live North of Manchester - I guess its not as exciting as you guys coming over - but I'm still excited.

I'd suggest going to The Globe Theatre - I can't remember what I saw - it was 5 years ago - but it was awesome - the atmosphere's amazing.

I'm going on the London Eye when we go and I'm really excited about that. We're also going on a River Thames sightseeing cruise.

You've also got to go on an Opentop Red Doubledecker Bus if you want to do the really touristy thing. Not when its raining though.

If you like galleries I'd recommend The Queens Gallery at Buckingham Palace

Also if you're into the monarchy you can tour the State Rooms in Buckingham Palace itself between 09:30 - 16:30 (last admission 16:15) every day 31 July - 26 September.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have two and a half months (I had two days last year), you'll have enough time to see everything.

Don't just stay in London, though. Take train trips around England too. You don't need a car in England to go everywhere.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
The National Gallery and Westminster Abbey have already been mentioned, so I'll leave it at that for those places - except to say that when you go to Westminster Abbey, be sure to see the Chapter House if it is open.

I'd like to add a couple of places to see:

Hampton Court Palace, down in Kingston-upon-Thames. Cardinal Wolsey built it for himself and then gave in to Henry VIII when Henry was upset with him. If they still have the tours led by retired history professors, take the tour - you'll get all the history and all the gossip.

If you have any interest in theatre at all, take the tour of the National Theatre. Granted, it's been years since I was there, but when I took the tour they took us everywhere in the place, even into one of the theatres while run-thrus were going on.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

Hey Cochick - how far north of Manchester are you? I travel to Manchester for work a lot and I don't really know anyone there, so would love to have someone to hang out with...
amira tharani
Member # 182

*bump*
So let's have a London "shinda" sometime... when are people going to be around?

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, when something this good happens to someone who doesn't share a lot of values with me, I wonder if I really am going about this whole life thing wrong.

Have fun, Kasie!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

- posted      Profile for namaki   Email namaki         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to Paris, I would suggest the Thai restaurant "L'Elephant Bleu" in the Rue de la Roquette (expensive, but worth it). And the "da lat" underneath "le president" is the absolute best chinese restaurant in the whole city... Le President is the tourist version and 5 times more expensive, but it is owned by the same people, and the items on the menu are identical. Not expensive.

If you like interesting performances, there is a tiny hovel near "Les Buttes Chaumont" called "L'Atelier du Plateau". They usually combine music, circus, dance and theatre - often pretty experimental. My favorite show there was called "Mur-murs" and the whole show (acting, acrobatics and rap) was on the walls, which had been covered in mountain climbing equipment (don't know what you call those little scaling things).

If you are interested in seeing some modern day circus (no animals), check out "place chapiteau" at "la villette" in the 20th arrondissement. Also, the science museum up there is a blast.

Best italian restaurant I know about:
Pastapapa, in a tiny street, rue Daunou, near the Opera Garnier.

Don't miss:
Shakespear & Co (used bookstore) near St Michel
Abbey Books (canadian bookstore, new and used) also near St Michel.
SanFransisco & Co (used books) near Odeon (I think it is in Rue Monsieur Le Prince).
If you need something new (still books), I would suggest Brentano's, Avenue de l'Opera, or W.H. Smith (place de la Concorde, more or less). Between the two of them, they usually have as much of anything in the English language as you will get in France.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask [Big Grin]

And if you come anywhere near Tromsø, there is an extra matress here for you! There are less sights here than in London and Paris, though, and eating gelato would be hazardous in these temperatures.

Most of all: Have fun!!!!!!!

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
namaki, do you know of any good gaming stores in Paris? (like CCGs)
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

- posted      Profile for namaki   Email namaki         Edit/Delete Post 
I am unfamiliar with CCG [Frown]
Sorry...

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

That's ok, I found it on the 'net. [Smile]

But I leave in a week ( [Eek!] ), so if anyone has suggestions (London or Paris), I'd appreciate it. [Smile]

Kasie H
Member # 2120

*bump*

So I've been in London about a week now....and aaah it's amazing!

I'm in a flat with three other girls on Great Portland Street -- right near Oxford Circus (the intersection of Oxford & Regeant Sts.). We're within in walking distance of Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, and (best of all) Soho. The nightlife here is great and the sheer number of things to do is absolutely astounding! Yesterday I walked down to Trafalgar Square and went in the National Portrait Gallery, which is like the Royal History of Britain In Pictures. I could've spent hours more in there.

We also took a bus tour of London with one of the blue badge guides who was absolutely wonderful. I'm so excited I have so much time here, I can't imagine coming here for less than a week and having to see it all. I'd come home disappointed there was so much I couldn't see!

Anyway, I've put up some pictures and things on my blog...you should all come by, and comment! [Big Grin]

http://london.kasie.net

I obviously won't be spending much time on Hatrack while I'm here, but hopefully I can pop by once in awhile. Someone has kindly provided free broadband wireless internet in my flat (though it's rather intermittant), but so far that's been a huge plus.

Cheers! [Big Grin]

[ May 30, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Kasie H
Member # 2120

PS:

quote:
Man, when something this good happens to someone who doesn't share a lot of values with me, I wonder if I really am going about this whole life thing wrong.
I really don't know how to take this.

[Razz] [Wink]

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
See the stone circle.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises eyebrow* Yeah pooka...that was...interesting.

Kasie, I really love your blog! I just looked at all your pictures and it made me itch to get there. I have big dreams concerning the British Isles (Ireland in particular), and your journal and pictures are great motivation to GET there. [Smile] I'm glad you're having this experience. Keep posting pictures!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

You've absolutely struck gold on the location there! What an amazing place to stay!

So when are you coming up to Oxford?

Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

I was in Oxford the other week, visiting friends. I'd never been before and was really impressed, it's just gorgeous!
amira tharani
Member # 182

Well, if you're down again in the next two months, let me know.
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
On Tuesday (8th), I will arrive in London from Gatwick at about 9:00 and leave for Stansted at about 2:30. If anyone wants to meet up to have lunch or visit a museum or watch me nap on a bench or something, let me know.

I will also be in London from the afternoon of the 21st to the morning of the 23rd.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

More pictures!

http://london.kasie.net

amira -- at the last second I did end up going to Oxford (as you can see by the pictures), but I didn't have time to post it here [Frown] Which college are you in?

I'm hoping to go up one more time before the end of term, I absolutely loved it. We watched a debate at the Union -- "This House believes that Britain has become a Yankee poodle." Very interesting.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs* What lovely pictures of Oxford Kasie.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

Kasie, I couldn't post a comment on your blog 'cause it wasn't working, but anyway I'm at Balliol. If you are intending to come again I'll give you my mobile number and we can meet up. Alternatively you can find my work number at www.oxford-access.org
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was over there last year, there were plenty of pay-as-you-go internet cafes. The biggest one, was not too far from you. It's down at Picadilly Circus in a Burger King, of all places.

If you get the chance to head up to Stratford-upon-Avon, do so. And if you can catch a play while you're there, even better. I haven't been disappointed by anything I've seen up there. I was amazed last summer when I saw 2 different plays and a couple of actors had pretty key roles in both.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.