FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Reporter Expelled from Brazil

Author Topic: American Reporter Expelled from Brazil
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda fun...NY Times correspondant, Larry Rohter wrote an article where he says Brazilian President Lula is a heavy drinker, and that his habit is a nacional concern. (05/09/2004)

The truth is: nobody (not even the opposition) ever heard about Lula's drinking habits ever being a hindrance to him. In truth, he was never regarded as a heavy drinker.

There was a nacional uproar over here. Wel...now, Larry Rohter, whose wife and kids are brazilian, is being expelled from Brazil. Politics and press alike think that Lula was "a little" to tough on Rohter. I guess his article was bad press but...well...the guy is living here for more than 20 years!

Go to NY Times website and check the whole story.
What do you think about it?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that kind of censorship common in Brazil? Or is that why people think it is unfair? Or was the journalist just making it all up and being punished for libel with deportation?
I feel kinda bad for his family b/c they'll have to leave too I imagine.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
That kind of censorship is not common over here at all (before this case I would say it's non-existant). I guess the problem was that there were a huge outcry, and even rabid critics of President Lula became very enraged about the article.
It even had a photograph taken from President Lula's appearance at last year's Oktoberfest drinking a mug of beer.

Just heard on TV that the Journalist may still remain in Brazil if the NY Times apologizes (it seems that they will, since the ombundsman already aknowledged that it was a faulty article).

Oh, yes...and it seems that the journalist would still be allowed to live here, since his wife and kids are brazilian. He would just not be allowed to work as a journalist, as his working visa would be revoked.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

http://oglobo.globo.com/fotos/charge.jpg

Today's humorous charge in "O Globo", one of Brazil's leading newspaper.

See the translation over here:

"Still in Rio's branch of the New York Times"

Bush: "Stop the press! Now that Larry was expelled, we can equal Lula to Fidel Castro and Chavez (Venezuela's President). Thanks, Lula! Thanks, Gushiken! (Lula's Prime advisor, who had the idea of expelling the journalist)"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.