FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it worse to kill your own civilians or someone else's?

Author Topic: Is it worse to kill your own civilians or someone else's?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm perplexed at the way people talk about governments "killing their own people" as if it is worse than killing a different nation's people. I mean, the way governments work is that they have jurisdiction to pass laws over their own people but not over the people of other nations, no? Thus, shouldn't it be more reasonable for them to think they can kill their own people, the people whom they supposedly have jurisdiction over, than the people of some other country, who supposedly are under the jurisdiction of other governments?

But, when talking about human rights violators around the world, I hear people say things like "the worst is that they killed their own people!" as if their actions would be more acceptable had they been killing some other people from some other country. Why would this ever be the case?

[ May 13, 2004, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean but I think that the point is that as a leader you are supposed to protect the people you lead not kill them.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. While obviously one shouldn't go around killing people regardless of their nationality, a government has a special responsibility toward the people it governs, the same way parents have a special responsibility toward their family. It's shocking to hear about a murder, but much more shocking to hear that a mother has drowned her own child. Why? Because authority comes with responsibility.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.