FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Post fun facts here! (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Post fun facts here!
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to be above average is to obey every traffic law to the letter. No one is an above average driver.

[ May 15, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: SoberTillNoon ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Hence the irony of that fact. Strangely, you and I are probably thinking that we are more skilled than other motorists and are IN FACT above average drivers, though.

*37 Helen's agree that you cannot spend too much money on a good pair of shoes. Geez, I miss Kids In The Hall

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has taken feather pillows to dry cleaners to be cleaned and get new ticking (covering).

Polar bears are left-handed ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Sears Tower Trivia

1,454 Feet Tall

The Sears Tower is 1,454 feet high (that's about a quarter of a mile), and you can add another 253 feet for the twin antenna towers.

1,600 feet per minute
Sears Tower elevators operate as fast as 1,600 feet per minute.

106 Cabs
Two domed entrances, one with skylights, were added to the Sears Tower in 1984 and 1985. A 106-cab elevator system (including 16 double decker elevators) divides the Tower into three separate zones, with skylobbies in between.

114 Piles
The Sear Tower's heavy weight - more than 440 million pounds - is also supported by 114 piles sunk deep into the earth so that they stand firmly on hard, solid bedrock.

2 City Blocks
The Sears Tower covers two city blocks and has 101 acres of office and commerical space.

222,500 Tons
The combined weight of the building is 222,500 tons.

25,000 Entries
More than 25,000 people enter the Sears Tower every day.

Architects
The Sears Tower was designed by the architects "Skidmore, Owings & Merrill," the same firm that designed the John Hancock Center.

Exercise?
There are 2,232 steps from ground level to the roof. Unfortunately for those interested in a little legwork, people aren't normally allowed to use the stairwells.

Floor Space
4.5 million gross square feet of floor space.

HOW much?!?
The cost of building Sears Tower was in excess of $150 million.

Its Own City
The Sears Tower is a city unto itself, containing 43,000 miles of telephone cable, 2,000 miles of electrical wire, 25,000 miles of plumbing, and enough concrete to build an eight-lane highway five miles long. It even has its own zip code.

Lots of Windows
The Tower's framework consists of 76,000 tons of steel, has more than 16,000 bronze-tinted windows, and has 28 acres of black duranodic aluminum skin.

Nice View
On clear day, visibility from the Skydeck is more than 50 miles and four states: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Phone Wire
The Sears Tower contains enough phone wire to wrap around the earth 1.75 times, and enough electrical wiring to run a power line from Chicago to Los Angeles.

Sears Tower Skydeck
More than 1.5 million tourists visit the Sears Tower Skydeck each year.

Tallest in the World?
The Sears Tower ranked as the world's tallest building from its completion in 1973 until 1997, when twin towers in Malaysia beat it out by a few feet, WITH THE INCORPORATION OF SPIRES. The Sears Tower still boasts the highest top floor of any building in the world.

The Lobby and Calder
The famous sculpture Alexander Calder has several pieces of art in the lobby of the Sears Tower. He is well-known for his extremely large mobiles and red iron statues, one of the latter of which adorns the Federal Building Plaza.

The Tower is Tubes!
The Sears Tower is an example of the revolutionary bundled-tube structural design. Tube buildings gain most of their structural support from a rigid network of beams and columns in their outer walls. The rigid outer walls act like the walls of a hollow tube. The Sears Tower is actually a bundle of nine tubes, and is considered one of the most efficient structures designed to withstand wind. This is a great design for a skyscraper in Chicago, the "Windy City," where the average wind speed is 16 miles per hour. As the building climbs upward, the tubes begin to drop off, reducing the wind forces on the building.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only way to be above average is to obey every traffic law to the letter. No one is an above average driver.
This would only be true if a) following every traffic law to the letter made one a better driver and b) the average driver followed every traffic law to the letter in every situation except one. Otherwise someone could be above-average by following all the traffic laws to the letter in every situation except one.

Of course, I dispute a) as well.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Most importantly, being above average is just that, above the mathematical average. To obey all traffic laws and be an excellent driver in a manner of skill would make a driver near perfect. In terms of a bell curve model, I believe the humor of the above factoid makes much more sense.

Ergo: You do not need to be a perfect driver to be "above average", you just need to be better than 50% of the drivers out there.

Vis-a-vis: Since 70% of drivers believe themselves to be "above average", this becomes mathematically impossible since we might arbitrarily establish that the top 25% or 30% of drivers on a bell curve to be considered above average.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds
*A duck's quack does not echo

Both of these were on the show Mythbusters and shown to be false. Goldfish were trained to go through a maze. And the sound waves in a duck's quack were shown to resemble the echo a lot, but the echo was definitely there.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Mythbusters also disproved that Hotel Keyguards are corrupted by magnets adn credit cards. I personally have proven this to BE true. therefore, mythbusters sucks.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
When something's strange in the neighborhood, who are you going to call?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mythbusters?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
82% of all statistics are made up by people encountering "Post fun facts here" threads.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. I dont think that last one is valid.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have one of the Bathroom Readers books? Fun facts galore!

Liz

PS I SO want a chillow.

Edit to say that I actually could use a whole chilloutfit. Can anyone both sew and figure out the chillow technology?

[ May 16, 2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most importantly, being above average is just that, above the mathematical average. To obey all traffic laws and be an excellent driver in a manner of skill would make a driver near perfect. In terms of a bell curve model, I believe the humor of the above factoid makes much more sense.

Ergo: You do not need to be a perfect driver to be "above average", you just need to be better than 50% of the drivers out there.

Vis-a-vis: Since 70% of drivers believe themselves to be "above average", this becomes mathematically impossible since we might arbitrarily establish that the top 25% or 30% of drivers on a bell curve to be considered above average.

70% of drivers can be above average, let me show you how:

you don't need to be better than 50% to be above average, that would be above the median. You would just have to be above the average skill amount. For example lets say there are only 4 people, and their driving skills are rated on a 1 to 10 scale. Their skill levels are: 1, 8, 9, and 10. Makeing an average of 7, which 75% of the people are above. and keeping into account the people under the age of legel driving, and over the age of experianced driving, and people who do not know how to drive(including people from other countries), making it highly possible that the people who consider themselves above average drivers really are above average.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

does it really matter?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Average can mean any of: mean, median, mode.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Quick refresher for those who have forgotten their statistics, please: What is the mode?

I know mean is the sum of the values divided by the number of value (used for GPAs, it's what most people think of as the average).

Median is simply the value for which there are an equal number of higher and lower values in a set of values (or the average of the two middle values when needed). I'm not sure of all the details for special situations, such as when what would be the median value is present multiple times but not evenly spread about the middle.

I have no idea what mode is, however. I used to know, but apparantly I've never had to make use of it before in a non-academic setting.

On a side note, the idea of an average driver may be impossible on it's face, since there are so many factors contrubiting to what makes someone a good driver. Any attempt to reduce it to a single value is doomed to failure.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a fun fact that I learned the other day.

You know how there are some American Beer companies that have been around for over 100 years? I always wondered how they survived the prohibition. But now I know!

Coors, for example, survived by selling malted milk to Mars candy. Malted milk is pretty much just malt (pre-fermented beer) mixed with cream. Mars' first candy bar was the Milky Way, named for the Coors malted milk.

So it seems that the prohibition is responsible for a lot of the malted milk products that we eat now. When you eat Whoppers, you are eating creamy pre-beer.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've heard that Coors didn't fire a single employee during prohibition - that's amazing.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The mode is the value that occurs the most times. There was no mode in the data set example that MEC provided above, but if we expand his set to 1,2,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 there is one -- and still 70% of the sample is above it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. Today, the first thing the corporate suits would do would be to lay off half of their employees, and *then* try to figure out how to stay in buisness.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, dahling!
rivka
Member # 4859

O_o

Um, you're welcome, sweetie.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know?

-The strongest muscle in your body is your toungue.
Bill Nye told me that one.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Really? How much can you lift with your tongue?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey man I don't know, but the toungue works by itself, where as other muscles depend on one another, and your bones in order to work at all. Besides, isn't the toungue your most exersized muscle? You use it every day to eat, talk, kiss, etc.

[ May 17, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Altįriėl of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, but it just isn't so. Straight Dope

Anyway, the tongue is not one muscle -- it's three.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Oh well, whatever.
I also found this though:

Your brain weighs about three pounds, but over two pounds of that is water

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Frogs don't drink.

According to my infallible Snapple cap.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I do believe that to be true.
Snapple is never wrong.

MEC
Member # 2968

drink alcohol...or liquids?

[ May 17, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Didn't specify.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
- There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

- You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

- Americans on the average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

- The flea can jump 350 times its body length. That is like a human jumping the length of a football field.

- A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

- Every time you lick a stamp you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.

- You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.

- Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.

- In ancient Egypt, Priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

- A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

- The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

- The lifespan of a tastebud is ten days.

- On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.

- Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

- On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

- If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

- If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

You got those from the same site I got my "brain" fact, now didn't you?
[Wink]

Polio
Member # 6479

No! I'll give you my website if you give me yours...
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

You guys should share [Cool]
Polio
Member # 6479

OK... her first.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how many of those facts are total crap, you really shouldn't.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I love strange laws

Like the fact that its still legal to shoot someone with a bow and arrow if caught climbing over Chester (England) city walls between midnight and six in the morning.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Alaska law says that you can't look at a moose from an airplane

In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal

In Illinois, the law is that a car must be driven with the steering wheel

In Memphis, Tennessee, a woman is not to drive a car unless a man warns approaching motorists or pedestrians by walking in front of the car that is being driven

In Tennessee, it is against the law to drive a car while sleeping

In Utah, birds have the right of way on any public highway.

In Virginia, the Code of 1930 has a statute which prohibits corrupt practices or bribery by any person other than political candidates

In Washington State, you can't carry a concealed weapon that is over 6 feet in length.

The law states that more than 3000 sheep cannot be herded down Hollywood Blvd. at any one time.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee,
The mode is the most frequently used number, basically. Sometimes, there is no mode.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The law states that more than 3000 sheep cannot be herded down Hollywood Blvd. at any one time.
Rats!
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That's why I buy self-adhesive stamps - I have to save my calorie intake for M&Ms. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

No, rivka, sheep. As far as I know, there are no rules currently governing the movement of rats.

*slaps knee*

MEC
Member # 2968

quote:

A calorie or a Calorie(also known as kilocalorie)?
Polio
Member # 6479

A calorie.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fact in the world--has anyone said this yet?

Myoclonic twitch = when you're sort of half asleep and dreaming, and in the dream you step down or move your hand, and you try to do it in real life too, and it jerks you back all the way awake

Oh, how I love knowing that.

*happy dance*

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that all the time while sleeping... Now I feel better.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I learned the other day, that if you're forced, somehow, to sneeze with your eyes ope, your eyes pop out of their sockets. My chemistry teacher said that it was true.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Its not possible to sneeze with your eyes open! I've tried many times.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.