FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Confidential is 'Confidential'--Question About Therapy

Author Topic: How Confidential is 'Confidential'--Question About Therapy
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you on Hatrack know, I have been recently diagnosed with depression and was seeing a therapist at school. However, I am currently back home with my parents, and seeking a new therapist. My mother made an appointment for me to start therapy with a woman in town--a social worker.

So here's my question for those who know: How confidenial is a meeting with a social worker? There are some things about my personal personal life I don't want my mother to know. So, if I tell her some things--such as sucidal thoughts--is the social worker legally bound to tell my mother?

Thanks!

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to ask mack for sure on this. But I am pretty sure that if you express suicidal or homicidal thoughts with intention or a plan, they have every right to contact your parents or the authorities. This goes for most medical professional, including doctors, but I am not sure about social workers and such.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything except things that express a danger to yourself or others (suicidal or homicidal).

The thing is, you're of age, so you'd have to discuss the rules with your therapist. However, if you are actively suicidal or homicidal, it is her responsibility to take action and keep you (and/or others) safe and most likely will require a break in confidentiality.

But ANY therapist is supposed to address all of this with you on the first session.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.