FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is wrong on SO many levels!

Author Topic: This is wrong on SO many levels!
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Video News story

quote:
Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane said Anderson made ''a split-second mistake'' when she shot Justin Lyle Thomas, but charges against the trooper were not warranted.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Can you not read?"

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll shoot you again! I'll shoot you again!

[ May 17, 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't get it!

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Watch your mouth!
I love that one particularly since she dropped the F bomb several times herself.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Although she clearly didn't handle the situation well I will offer, in her defence, that the guy was clearly resisting arrest and it looked like he was physically resisting her as well (even after she shot him!). Clearly not the smartest guy, even if he was drunk.

However she was brandishing that gun around a bit too much for liking, and shouting/screaming at him. Not a good combination of traits that I would think are good to have for police officers. I don't thinik she should have necessarily been charged with anything...but fired(?), most definitly. Let back on duty? Never.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame him for being nervous and panicky O_o
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can we do this nice and easy?
just after having basically screamed her lungs out and tackled the guy onto her car..

I dunno.. she should've had to take the sobriety test herself..

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I don't like police brutality: every police officer on the scene who even watched the RodneyKing beating shoulda been fired-to-never-be-rehired. From the few moments I've seen of COPS, most of those arresting officers should be tossed out of the force and into a jail.
I don't even like unnecessary rudeness in a police officer.

But precisely what were the options here?
Let him reach his vehicle, and possibly grab a gun?
Tackle him and go hand-to-hand, and hope he doesn't grab the officer's gun during the struggle?
Let a drunk speed away, driving recklessly to lose pursuit, and hope he doesn't kill somebody with his truck?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the problem was just with the shooting - you're assessment is probably right there. But she utterly failed to control that situation. Screaming and profanity does not equal a convincing show of authority. Even without the shooting, I'd say she comes off fairly incompetent.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Right from the first moment she was not only screaming, but *shrieking*. Maybe if she didn't act so crazy she wouldn't have needed to *shoot* anyone!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
The woman was abusive on the get-go. Cussing at him first. Rude. Antagonistic. Drunk or sober, I'd have a problem with her attitude as a whole. And not because she's black or female.
Lets put this in another scnario.

Greyhound bus driver ok? You don't get on the bus fast enough to suit the driver:
quote:
"This ain't your birthday"
You get on before the driver takes your ticket (note, some drivers have you board THEN take your ticket, some take your ticket as you board)
quote:
"You don't get on MY bus without giving me your ticket."
Young mother with a baby. Not even a toddler yet.
quote:
"That baby starts crying and I'll put you off the bus. I ain't having no crying babies on MY bus"
Same attatude as what I see coming from that cop. Over compensation is a bad thing. And thats what I'm seeing in that video. MAYBE, had she spoken to the guy with a little less antagonism in her voice, things might have gone smoother.

***And the quotes above were actually from a bus driver.

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
BW, I think those quotes can go in the transportation horror stories thread, too.

Sheesh!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he won't drive drunk anymore. She was antagonistic, but from their conversation you could tell that he did not pull over right when she first told him to, that is not a good idea. Also, when a cop tells you to put your hands behind your back, you should do it. If he had gotten back into his car drunk, and killed someone, people would then ask the cop why she did not stop him.

She could have delt with it differently, but many cops have the same attitude. If he was not drunk, I would have more sympathy for him...but if a cop has to shoot a drunk to keep him from killing someone else, I am fine with that.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey that's fine, but nobody, even if drunk, deserves to be threatened like that with a lethal weapon. I would have slapped the hell out of that lady if I was there. She's crazy, and I hope she get's locked up.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.