FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Evolution of Troy

Author Topic: The Evolution of Troy
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit it: I saw Troy on friday for the sole pupose of looking up Brad and Orlando's skirts and seeing whatever skin I could.

For about the first half hour or so (dark theater, couldn't see watch) I thought that would be the only reason it would be worth it, and that was too bad, becasue I wanted the futre EG director to be good, and because epics are cool. When they're done well. But at first I was not impressed with Eric Bana's acting at all. I thought I'd have to endure him being all Trojan and heroic agianst Brad being all Greek and heroic. Brad's a good actor, depspite the injustice of him being devastatingly handsome as well. Him and unimpressive Eric being passion-filled was not going to do it for me. I thought.

Then the plot started. Eric got WAYYYYYYYYY better. (I don't know what the problem was in the beginning. Jetlag?)

I forgot about the boy toys. I'm a 17 year old single girl. Do you realize what that means? TROY IS AMAZING!!!!!

Achilles was real. I belived in him. I belived in Hector. I really, really,really believed in Priam. I believed in everyone. I cried at the end.

That is what I call an epic. I am ecstatic. Not only because now I have another wonderful movie to put on my list, but because my worries about the EG adaptation are pretty much assuaged. The torments of war, the unwilling hero-- it works.

Side note: Does anyone know if the Trojan costumes (long skirt-ish thing, wierd vest, all aquamarine) are historically accurate? Seriously, that was the one thing that bugged me throughout the whole amazing, miraculous movie.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy was an amazing film. I loved almost every minute of it. I got chills, I got goosebumps, I loved it. It should be required viewing for anyone who wishes to serve in any military.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy was a great movie, very well made BUT - so far from Homer's Illiad, was not happy about that, since I read Homer, the filmmakers left out important parts of the story - for example, the very begining - three godess showing themselves to Paris and him chosing Aphrodite who promised him the most beautiful woman on the face of the world - Helen of Sparta. Also - Achiles was supposed to be dead by the time Greeks played the "horse" trick on Tojans. Oh well, not accurate movie, but EXCELLENT one to watch and enjoy.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Tzadik, I also read Homero, and I watched Troia last saturday (yes, even in this brazilian backwater called Rio de Janeiro!) I guess the filmmaker opted to erase any "mythical" or "magical" influences. Thus, no Cassandra and no Godesses with golden fruits.

I completelly understand it.
And yes...loved the movie.

Did any of you know that Brad Pit's legs are not his, on close shots? They used an actor with more muscular legs to do close shots, since Brad thought his own legs were...well...skinny ones :-)))))

(Hmmm...just for references...my girlfriend told me that, ok?) [Wink]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny...

I was under the impression that most women weren't interested in seeing up men's skirts--nothing attractive there.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.