FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » National Gas Boycott Day (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: National Gas Boycott Day
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I would never, in a million years think of postin an e-mail forward to Hatrack. That being said, here's an e-mail I just got. Couldn't hurt!
quote:
SUBJECT: LET'S FIGHT THE GAS HIKES!
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE
OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS
OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE
OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR
BEHIND" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE
DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS
MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD
OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL
IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT
AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING
COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON
EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING
MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE
DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERY- ONE
YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT
THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They talked on the morning news about this HOAX. So I went and bought gas on purpose.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't get me wrong. I highly doubt that the oil industry will suddenly erupt into huge army of undead zombies and revolt against their evil master just because a bunch of people don't buy gas one day. Anytime generic "studies" are quoted, they generally shouldn't be believed. Nevertheless, I think it would certainly send a message that we actually DO care about gas prices. Of course, I care less than most, since I drive a honda scooter.

BTW, it's going down tomorrow. Not today.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
So we should all buy gas either today or on Thursday, right?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... how can a call to boycott be a "hoax"? I don't think that's possible.

So no gas tomorrow. We weren't going to buy any tomorrow, anyhow, but we'd happily support such a boycott.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hmm.. the e-mail I got like that said today (May 18th) and the news reports on the radio this morning said it was today (in e-mails they received...)

Farmgirl

edit: found This Link

[ May 18, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
These emails pop up every few years, when gas prices jump. I don't think a one day fuel strike will bother the oil companies at all. They'll just have REALLY good day-after-strike revenue. [Smile]

I wish instead of forwarding this email around, they'd spend that time reading up on alternative fuel sources.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
So causeing the oil company to lose money is going to make them lower their prices to recover the money they lose on one, specially organized, day? Makes purfect economic sence! Count me in!

Yeah FG, I think I got this forward years ago, the last time gas prices were elevated. It made about as much sence that time as it does this time. [Roll Eyes]

Pal

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

So what has the media been saying about it, Farmgirl? I mean, given that we've had plenty of other examples that the mainstream media is pretty much in GWB's pocket, it's in their best interests to downplay or ridicule any public unrest about oil prices, right?
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that would work the way it's intended ... there is something similar on snopes.com.

I usually check snopes.com when I get an email that is intended to be forwarded, then I reply to the sender and give them the link. I have gotten a really great (humorous) email that addresses most of the types of emails you get like that. I can't find it right now, but if I come across it, I'll post it here.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the mainstream media that's been trumpeting the prisoner abuse scandal, Ayelar?
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray to public transportation!
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Basically the news radio just said that there was a widespread e-mail saying thus..and.such and that it is bogus and that it has no effect, etc. etc. and to ignore it.

Farmgirl

PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
"... the mainstream media is pretty much in GWB's pocket, it's in their best interests to downplay or ridicule any public unrest about oil prices, right?"

LOL!
You can spin anything and everything against Bush, can't you? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think a true boycott would have to extend over a long period of time to have any real effect. Obviously, with gas prices, not everyone purchases gas every day. And many people HAVE to purchase gas in order to operate their business for that day. So I don't see how it could ever be effective.

Let's say I was a pizza delivery guy (which I'm not) If I don't purchase gas to do my job, I'm hurting myself a lot more than I'm hurting the oil companies.

FG

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I just knew someone would post this here... [Roll Eyes]

My cousin sent me this email, too, and I checked it out with snopes.com.

They basically say that a one-day boycott has no effect, because people just make up for it by buying the day before or the day after.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Not effective, sure, but a hoax or a scam? That's like saying that anyone who tells you to vote in November is pulling your leg, because there's no such thing as an election.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

point taken, Ayelar. You are right that they should not be using the words "hoax" or "scam", but probably should just be pointing out it's ineffectiveness.

I think generally they have begun using the word "hoax" in association with e-mails that you "don't need to worry about" kind of thing when they report on them.

FG

Ayelar
Member # 183

FG, that's why I think it's remarkable that they're using that term for this email. Why is the media, as you say, telling people to "not worry about" or ignore this email? Why not point out that, yes, we all have a reason to be upset about the gas prices, and since this isn't the most effective way to enact change, we might look at resources x, y, and z for better solutions? Wouldn't that be more responsible journalism than just telling people to ignore it?
Ela
Member # 1365

Snopes states that it is "False" that "Participating in a one-day "gas out" on May 19 will help bring the retail price of gasoline down." That's all they are saying.

According to snopes, efforts like this have been tried in the past and were ineffective.

They do seem to suggest that cutting back gasoline usage for a greater number of days might be effective, but I think it would be difficult to get enough people to participate in that sort of thing.

Anyone want to start a new email campaign? [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Better to start a campaign to push public transportation, bicycles, walking, and fuel-efficient cars. The poster can show the inside of Saddam's palace with the tagline: "Paid for by SUV drivers."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

"...Why not point out that, yes, we all have a reason to be upset about the gas prices, and since this isn't the most effective way to enact change, we might look at resources x, y, and z for better solutions? Wouldn't that be more responsible journalism than just telling people to ignore it?"

becasue that is not journalism. Journalism is about facts. What you state above is your opinion.

Fact: There is an email going around about a proposed gas boycot.
Fact#2: It will be ineffective.
Fact#3: This has been circulated before and has become one of those email forward scams that people think are based upon actual studies but are not.

The obvious conclusion is "Given the above, why worry about it?" (my opinion)

Ela
Member # 1365

Chris, I agree with your solution.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out these high prices...
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It would have a slight impact if people were told not to USE gas on that one day of the week. The effect would be small, but it would be there, as your weekly gas consumption would then be a little less. Even if every american did not by gas on one day it would not hurt the industry, since they do their calculations of sales by week. Since you would either buy some the day before and the day after, you would not mess things up at all. It prob would screw with the convenience stores and such though...the very people who have no control over prices.

If you really want gas prices to go down you need to convince the environmentalists to let people build more refineries.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How about National Carpool Week?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it would help to just cut back gas usage in general. Do all that stuff from Earthday in grade school, you know public transportation, carpooling, walking, bike rideing, etc. Even if cutting back that way doesn't cause prices to lower at all, people who did it would still save on gas, and from the two semesters of Economics classes I have taken, it seems like a prolonged cut back in gas use by lots of people might lower prices, but I'm nothing close to an expert.

But I think everyone going out to fill up their tanks today, then buying tomarrow, will not really help much. Still, I don't even drive, so I'll just shut up now.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas prices jump 20%.

Decrease gas Useage 30% on an ongoing basis.

Then the Oil suppliers will think, "hmm. Gas is more profitable when it was cheaper."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] peterh
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
ITA with reducing gas usage overall. WE do pretty well, not as well asd I like. I am working to walk farther, take the bus more often.

BTW, most commercial dish soaps are made with petroleum. There's another place to cut back- use one labled petroleum free.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would send a more powerful message if we used no energy. Turned off all the lights, rode bikes when we could. Just pretend we are in a black out for 24 hours: not buy gas, and try not to drive and settle for public transport. No computers, cars, electricity at home, and as little electricity at work as possible. If 300,000,000 did that, then I could see getting higher up's attention.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Ela wrote:
quote:
My cousin sent me this email, too,
Heh [Roll Eyes]

[ May 18, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: narrativium ]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, guys, you do realize the vast majority of gasoline and fossil fuels used in this country is used by businesses, not by consumers? You know, the businesses that ship things by truck cross-country every day, the businesses that have huge factories to produce things, blah blah blah...

I'm telling you right now, there is NO WAY any business in our lovely capitalist society would ever, ever take a profitiability hit to send some ineffective message to oil companies.

Plus, what FG said. This makes economic sense HOW, exactly?

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I stopped to get my morning coffee at the local Kwik Shop on my way to work this morning. I never mentioned the gas boycott thing (and had already purchased gas yesterday becuase I NEEDED it, and because usually if they raise prices mid-week, it is on Wednesday, so I usually fill on Tuesday if I can).

Anyway, the store clerk and I are very friendly because I come in so often. She proceeds to tell me they had a very very hectic "night" because of all the people who were "hurrying to fill up before the gas boycott day". While I was there, the pumps were pretty empty -- 2 or 3 cars instead of the usual full load.

But again, this proves the point that it didn't really accomplish anything -- everyone just bought their gas a day early. I feel sorry for the poor clerks who had to weather the "run" on the pumps prior to it becoming the 19th.

Farmgirl

Bokonon
Member # 480

Alexa, I can think of something else that would be even more successful, as a tactic; support politicians and companies who are working on efficiency of our usage of fossil fuels, and those researching newer, more renewable sources of energy.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I heard a morning show talking about it this morning. Most of the hosts were all gung-ho for the gas boycott saying that they had filled up the night before.

They didn't mention the fact that the main guy drives a Hummer that he's very proud of.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
ITS NOT LIKE I WORRY ABOUT IT, BUT I'M SURE MY MOTHER WILL BUY GAS TODAY, WE'LL ATTEND A CONCERT TOMOROW AND SHE WANTS TO HAVE AS MUCH GAS AS POSSIBLE SINCE ITS GOING TO BE FAR FAR AWAY.

Sorry about the Caps Lock dudes..

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
People complain about gas prices too much. If you are buying it, it's worth the higher price to you.

And if you REALLY want to encourage lower prices, cut down on the gas you USE. Not buying gas on one day is meaningless, because you'll just buy more the next day to fulfill needs that have remained constant. But, if you use less gas, you will buy less gas, and gas demand will drop.

Personally, I'm glad gas prices are up. It's bad for my wallet now, but our nation is way too dependent on gas. Maybe this will make these hybrid cars a more popular solution - or perhaps even encourage people to stop driving themselves altogether.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
support politicians and companies who are working on efficiency of our usage of fossil fuels, and those researching newer, more renewable sources of energy.
Well said. I think that is the best idea on this post.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
The copy I got said it was originally from the CEO of Kraft Foods or something similar.

Weird.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

A little perspective from a forward I got the other day:

Compared with Gasoline: Think a gallon of gas is expensive? This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.
Diet Snapple 16oz $1.29 .......... $10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...........$9.52 per gallon
Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ...... $10.17 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ........... $10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ............ $33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 .... $178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ........ $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ........ . $25.42 per gallon
Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 .........$84.48 per gallon
And this is the REAL KICKER...
Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon?! $21.19 for WATER - and the buyers don't even know the source.
So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, or God forbid Pepto Bismal or Nyquil. Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

And from our for friends here on Hatrack, what is the current price of gasoline in Europe? I don't like paying more for gas either, but isn't all this whining about it, and making a political topic in the election, making us Americans look shallow and, well, whiney?

[ May 19, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: PaladinVirtue ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm for reducing our reliance on fossil fuel out of geopolitical and environmental and civilization sustainability angles, not the OMG-now-I-can't-afford-a-supero-latte-or-whatever-starbucks-is-calling-it-today angle [Smile]

-Bok

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but that's a horrible way of putting things into perspective, yes those prices are much higher but none of them (excluding water) is anywhere as important as oil is to our economy. Any of the drinks you can do without. Niquil...when's the last time you used a whole gallon? You maybe use a bottle a year. Brake fluid you don't change often, pepto? Two or three a year at most? Whiteout: have you used a whole gallon in your lifetime? People buy bottle water, but they can just as easily go to a drinking fountain, you can't go to a drinking fountain for gas. There is nothing in human civilization that you can use to put the cost of gasoline into perspective than comparing it to itself. It's simple economics, supply, demand, and need. Plus, other than water none of those are naturally occuring substances.
Reducing our need on gasoline would be wonderful, I'm all for it, I love hybrid cars, though I think the most creative way of doing it is modifying a diesel car to be able to use biofuel (which can be made from used cooking oil). A friend of mine had her car converted to be able to use biodiesel by her father and brother, and they make the biodiesel by getting used cooking oil from restraunts and a rather simple process (that I can't remember) that ends up wasteless (because the waste can be used to heat the process for the next batch), and then her car can still run on normal diesel as well, it just has two gas tanks, one of diesel, one for biodiesel. Of course, there wouldn't work for all people because if everybody did it, we wouldn't have enough used cooking oil to go around, but I thought it was a rather awesome idea.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing could be more pointless and futile than a "gas boycott." So you buy gas the day before or the day after. Net effect of not buying gas on one day is zero. Does anybody really think that the oil companies are stupid enough to think that we might be able to get by without using their product? The threat of a boycott is a totally empty threat.

The oil companies will feel no impact whatsover by a gas boycott. Managers of local gas stations might be inconvenienced--but they will probably make it up with the heavier than normal business the following day.

Now, if we could devise alternate sources of energy so we do not need to buy gas at all any more, or if we buy a hybrid gas-electric car, like the Toyota Prius, which gets 60 miles per gallon, that could make a real difference by drastically reducing our nation's total oil consumption, and then prices would have to come down.

One thing, I have been driving less since the gas prices rose past $1.60 a gallon. Instead of jumping in the car and going to the store any time I want to make a $2.00 purchase, I wait, and do all my shopping in one trip on one day. When looking for a new job, I make sure it is closer to home, so the commute will take less time and less gas each day.

[ May 19, 2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Net effect of gas boycott: zero.
Net effect of getting people to think about the problem and possibly get involved in more helpful ways: immeasurable.

That's mainly why I'm not going to buy gas today. If the gas boycott results in the media paying more attention to the problem not as an inevitable, but as an issue people are trying their best to do something about, then it was a success.

BTW, I fight high gas prices by driving a vehicle that gets 70+ mpg and voting for those who don't take the environment for granted.

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody noticed last time when I posted a graph showing that oil would have to reach $59 to be a historical high after inflation. Wonder if anyone will notice this one.

Long story short, according to an article I caught in the Economist, China is now the #2 oil consumer. Their growth rate is phenomenal, as we all know. And their domestic inventory is two weeks. I don't care how liberal OPEC gets on the supply end, economics dictate a price crunch.

Furthermore, remember that oil markets worldwide are always priced in dollars. The dollar has slid a few dozen percent in less than a year. This effect alone is an order of magnitude greater than the price wars on the California roadways.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*just filled up at the pump today*
$26 [Razz] This doesn't actually do anything you know....

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably fill up the car only once every two months. I work at home, and my wife tends to do most of the driving. If it weren't for Hatrack, I wouldn't even be aware that gas prices are high. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
But there are too many who don't care or won't sacrifice their comfort for one day
You mean the comfort of going today rather than yesterday or tomorrow?

I salute patriots like you Stargate. Keep up the good work.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, I fight high gas prices by driving a vehicle that gets 70+ mpg and voting for those who don't take the environment for granted.
Thats quite a car...clearly a hybrid...what kind?

As for voting, polititions who don't take the environment for granted don't exist. Even those who claim they are pro environment drive SUVs and have private planes.

Personally, I drive an SUV...which is bad I know, but I move around a lot and need the room to fit my stuff in. I figure it balances out as I don't drive around town all that much, as I use the bus service a lot.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.