FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » virus help, please!!!

Author Topic: virus help, please!!!
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
my computer has a virus of some sort, it disconnects me one minute after i get on the internet and otherwise leaves me alone. I tried wiping the computer, but it's still there, and I am out of ideas-and going crazy from internet deprivation. Does anyone know what I can do? Are my hopes for internet in vain?

PS, to the people I just tried IMing, sorry if you said something and i didn't respond, Nannie's computer doesn't seem to like AIM Express.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of connection do you have, and do you get a message when your connection dies?
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be result of the Sasser worm, which exploits a flaw in Microsoft's LSASS service (the thing that's crashing and causing your computer to shutdown.) (Although the other people i've heard hit by this have their computers shut down after a little bit automatically. If this is the case, fix it like this.

4 simple steps:

1) Start Menu > Run... > "shutdown -a" (to stop shutdown sequence)
2) The Virus has been identified and here is the removal tool: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp
3) ...
4) You win! Keep your computer current with Microsoft Windows Update in the future to avoid this happening again. Also, enable the Windows firewall. (Or get your own software firewall.)

Edit: clarification

[ May 19, 2004, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.