FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kitchen Gadgets

Author Topic: Kitchen Gadgets
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so despite my fairly low opinion of gift registries, I've pretty much been ordered to set one up by various wedding guests. Naturally, I was draw to William Sonoma.

Does anyone know of a web site that has reviews on how well the various kitchen gadgets work? I'm talking about things like Onion Dicers, Tomato Mills, and Garlic Mincers. Or, even better, has anyone used any of these gadgets that can report on how well they work?

I'm normally very skeptical of these gadgets, but William Sonoma has a pretty good reputation for carrying useful things.

Thanks,

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I could dice 2-3 onions with a chef's knife in less time than it would take to clean the onion dicer.

No opinion on the others.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Kitchen-Aids are very nice.

Expensive, but nice.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used most of those gadgets... I'll be happy to review them for you. Which ones do you want to know about?

Now, I will put a disclaimer on this- I teach cooking for a living so I really don't believe in having things in my kitchen that are for only one use. So I'd rather buy an excellent knife set than several types of choppers.

Onion Chopper - don't waste your money on this one. It is good quality, but the cleaning doesn't make it worth the effort to get everything out unless you are cutting several onions, and even then a food processor (small version) is more versitile.
Tomato Press I thought I would love this but it's just a glorified food mill. It's does separate but it only comes with one size of strainer making it frustrating if you need it for more than separating tomatoes. The acrylic tends to crack after a few years making it less durable. This food mill is more expensive, but I have it at home and love it. It comes with three strainer disks that are interchangeable and it doesn't take up counter space or uncessary kitchen space. It's also stainless steel- unbreakable.

Garlic Mincer (I have the garlic genius) it's nice and it works well. You still have to peel the garlic clove so it's not completely perfect.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kitchen Aid is on the list. [Smile] Probably not gonna happen, but it goes on the list just in case someone's feeling generous.

Onion Chopper's out then. DO food processor's make those nice little cubes?

I'll put the food mill on. I'm specifically interested in making good tomato sauces, but I'm sure I'll branch out.

Garlic Genius is the one I was thinking of - it's going on, too.

Someone's already promised us a good knife set - we were ordered not to put it on the list.

Thanks for the input. I love cooking, but I'm not the best chopper in the world.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try to sweet-talk Bob for his Kitchen-Aid, since it's one model below mine, but I think we're gonna keep it for back-up.

[Razz]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Do you have any of the attachments for yours? Which ones are worth getting?

Dagonee

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that one, food processors do not make nice little cubes with the swivel blade, but if you upgrade to a larger one like this:

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?gids=sku4191573&pKey=celtfpri&root=shop&src=catceltfpri%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fcatcelti%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fcatcshop%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fpipcctli%7Cgsku482

they will since you get an assortment of blades(but they are much more costly)- so it's a tradeoff in cost- I LOVE my food procesoor- use it for many wonderful things. I've used it instead of a mixer for many things

Have fun registering- I can't wait to ask for all my dream kitchen utensils [Smile]

This is the I want... they donate part of the cost to the Susan G. Komen foundation (ok, I'm really not that altruistic, I just love pink)

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?gids=sku4602819&pKey=celtmxai&root=shop&src=catceltmxai%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fcatcelti%7Cp1%7Crshop%2Fpipceltfpri%7Cgsku4191573%7Ck%7Cpceltfpri%

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Food processors can make cubes?? How is that possible for a rotating blade??
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

not perfect cubes, but with an onion it does a nice small dice- you couldn't do it for celery or carrots but the rotating "slice" blade that sits on top lets you feed in the onion and it slices off a thickness giving you a nice diced effect.

edit 1: (I think... it is possible that I'm very wrong and in that case I take no responsibility for selling you a $150 food processor [Smile] )

edit 2: Maybe it's the shredding disk.. no that wouldn't work.

No, they don't make perfect cubes. If you want perfect cubes buy the onion chopper.

[ May 19, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You should register for that cool Pampered Chef stuff, like the ergonomic pepper mill, the cordless oven thermometer, and the super slippery cookie sheet liners.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This is probably the kind of thing that made some people think I was a woman, isn't it.

I'll have to check out Pampered Chef.

Dagonee

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Other things i like from Williams Sonoma
swivel peeler Best vegetable peeler I've ever owned. It's lasted for a good period of time too.

Non Stick Pan Liners buy them, try them and you'll never have to grease, parchemt paper or scrape clean another cookie sheet. You can let your cookies cool on them or remove immediately, they are wonderful!

meatloaf pan with insert My mom has this- and you can use it for more than just meatloaf (also nice for quick breads)- whatever you cook you can pop it out and it's all pretty instead of serving from the pan.

garlic peeler I haven't tried this one, but I want to now.

Poultry Shears If you ever debone raw chicken these are great.

Spatula for Fish/Asparagus I really want this [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag wrote: "This is probably the kind of thing that made some people think I was a woman, isn't it.I'll have to check out Pampered Chef."

Um, Dag, I think you should read this. ha ha.(I am getting a very large kick out of the timing of this week's "Onion.")

quote:
"Catholic Church Condemns Metrosexuality
VATICAN CITY—Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said Monday that metrosexuality, the trend of heterosexual men co-opting the aesthetics of homosexual men, is strictly prohibited under Catholic doctrine. "The truly faithful will avoid the temptation to adopt this hip urban lifestyle," Navarro-Valls said. "The devout Catholic must remain on the path toward salvation, no matter how good he'd look in an Armani pullover, and no matter how much he might covet his neighbor's set of Williams-Sonoma lobster forks." Karl Weis, director of the New York-based activist group Freedom From Religion, responded to the ban by stating that "metrosexuality is so 2003." "

www.theonion.com
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[ROFL]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ooh! More good ideas, Coccinelle.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
ha ha. I am still laughing!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Only slightly off topic,, but if you are really looking for good kitchen items for real use rather than random odd devices that may or may not work i would suggets checking out the Essential page from AltonBrown.com, he's the guy who hosts Food Networks 'Good Eats'. link: Alton Brown Essentials (popups need to be allowed to gain full effect, the popups are not ads)
Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my Kitchen Aid! It is so much better a mixer. Cake batter comes out with 1/3 more volume, fluffy and perfect.

I also like Krups appliances a lot. Their can opener is too cool! It cuts sideways into the band around the top of the can, rather than down from above, making a top with no sharp edges.

(Warning for the seriously technologically challenged, my mother found it hard to operate, though I watched her and the problem seemed to be she thought it wasn't working and so would stop and try to restart it when it was working just fine, just she couldn't see the cut being made because it wasn't cutting the top as she was used to seeing.)

My Krups blender is also very good. I love that they seem to realize that you need a lot of torque in appliances like this. Torque matters more than anything else. Estimate what you need, and then double that, is the rule I would use for sizing the motors in power tools and appliances. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Torquey blenders are the best. Although shattering the previous blender at 6am was one of the stupider things I've done, it was also great in the long run, because the new 550W model is so awesome. Just stick stuff in randomly and hit the button, it eats it like a starved pig.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.