FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shrek 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shrek 2
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. . . I searched and don't see a thread on it yet: What gives?

Anyway, I saw it yesterday and it was simply delightful. Every bit as good as the 1st, IMO.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Local newspaper review says it is even better than the first, possibly.

I'm anxious to see it - but haven't yet.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ganna see it today.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it yesterday. I liked it much better then the first Shrek. This time I saw it with my 5 year old and 3 year old nephew and neice. The first movie had John Lithgo and really funny parts I liked, however I was bored alot. In Shrek 2 I was entertained the whole movie.

What I did not know till the end is that Julie Andrews is the queen and Antonio Badures (sp?) is the cat.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Julie Andrews is a Fairy God Mother and Antonio Banderas is Puss in Boots.

I've only seen the trailers, I'm anxious to see it though.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like it's going to be one of the more decent movie movies coming out right now. I might go see it this weekend.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Julie Andrews is the queen [Smile]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Yeah, that's what I meant. Did I tell you I have a bad memory? It's what I meant, I just forgot because I have a bad...huh? O yeah. hmm..where was I?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? [Confused] then who's the FGM?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

quote:
No, Julie Andrews is the queen
not only do I have a bad memory, but I get easily confused.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Unicornwhisperer and I saw it yesterday. I loved it. It's hard to say whether it is better than the first since I have seen the first one so many times. I actually like Shrek the more I watch it, so we'll see if this movie grows on me the more I watch it. I do want to see it again.

However, did anyone feel like they were watching a musical at times?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already sick of the movie from all of the advertisments. In a couple of years, when I'm not sick of it anymore, I might watch it.

But then, I never got around to seeing The Grinch, so who knows?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer Saunders is the fairy godmother, Julie Andrews is the Queen, and Antonio Banderas is hilarious as Puss in Boots.

I usually hate blatant comedy, but I was rolling around on the floor during the whole movie.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it yesterday and was only mildly entertained. I read a review where they said Puss in Boots and the (mini-spoiler!) rescue scene were the funniest parts, and I'd have to agree. It took a while to get the movie going, but once it did, I was still marginally entertained. Though by the end, I was nearly in tears laughing and rolling on the floor. "Livin' la Vida Loca"? Oh, heck yes. That made my day. And did you stay for the scene in the credits? "Look at our mutant babies!" Wow, that was funny.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it.

Puss in Boots was just awesome [Smile]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else incredibly anxious for The Emperor's New Groove 2 to come out??? In my opinion, it was MUCH better than Shrek.
*still planning to see Shrek 2*

Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Emperor's New Groove 2?!?!? When is THAT out????

I LOVED Emperor's New Groove...

(and I'm hopefully going to see Shrek 2 tonight or tomorrow... [Cool] )

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know when it's out, but I heard about it before I heard about Shrek 2. I'll keep you posted.
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure it will make a great sequel, but yeah...

bewaaaaare the Grrrrroooooooovvvvve!

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even realize Shrek 2 was out yet. But like Mr. Porteiro Head, I'm already annoyed with all the ads. I think I'll still see it, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night. I was thoroughly entertained throughout most of the movie, though I do have to admit, the faerie godmother's musical-like songs were a bit annoying.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with JB and Mph...is there any product (besides coke) that *doesn't* endorse Shrek II?

*REALLY wants to see it*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see Shrek 2 tomorrow!

I actually didn't like the Emperor's New Groove. It just annoyed me for some reason. Maybe I'll like the second one better, though.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad to hear the word is good on this flick.

I did read that there was a bit more reference comedy in this one. like the overuse of CG, that kinda thing turns me off. is this true?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't really dig the Emporer's New Groove too much either. I was surprised, as everybody was comparing it to movies I absolutely loved, like Aladdin and Shrek. But, nope.

Anyway, I'm so piss-happy that Shrek 2 is out AND has received good reviews, I could...um...do something unexpected and spontaneous.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

da_goat [Kiss] fallow
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it yesterday afternoon and loved it.
Some of the adult humor was mor obvious this time like the SPOILERS cat *licking* himself, and the weed. SPOILERS I also thought this movie had alot more action and music to it. I defenatly liked the whole movie overall.

quote:
And did you stay for the scene in the credits? "Look at our mutant babies!" Wow, that was funny.
I stayed, and the first thing I thought was how the babies were born, were they eggs or live birth?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it tonight. Great movie. Did anyone else catch the Legolas reference? My friends and I were the only ones in the theater laughing at that one.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved when the people ran out of the first starbucks into the other one across the street.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome movie!
quote:
Antonio Banderas is hilarious as Puss in Boots.
I totally agree. He was purrfect!

I would have missed the scene in the credits but luckally there were so many people in the theatre that we couldn't leave. I'm so glad I saw it! I had been wondering the whole time what was up with the dragon...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*shields eyes from spoilers*

going to see it tonight. can't wait!

fallow

Sobenz
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Sobenz   Email Sobenz         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it earlier today... And I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first one, although I think that was more because Shrek was kind of out of nowhere while Shrek 2 is...more of Shrek.

Kind of like MiBII....minus the suckage...

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

shrek was sold out. I ended up seeing Mean Girls instead. it was quite good. a little confusing, but the writing craftsmanship was solid.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I usually hate blatant comedy, but I was rolling around on the floor during the whole movie.
EWWWWWWW! How could you do that with the floor all sticky from spilled sodas and gum, not to mention the goobers and JuJus that would adhere to your clothing...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from seeing Shrek 2. I actually thought it was funnier than the first one, which I also loved. Without giving away anything in the way of spoilers, there were so many hilarious references in there that it just cracked me up. And there many many funny lines.

The couple next to me were in their 20s and I think they missed about 1/2 of the references. So many old movies and Hollywood-ish things that only a true movie buff, or a person from the LA area would get. So funny.

But even discounting that "inside" stuff, there was just a lot to enjoy. This was a fun, fun movie.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, for those who don't know, Jennifer Saunders (who plays the Fairy Godmother) is the creative genius behind Absolutely Fabulous and she really does a great job in this movie.

I thought John Cleese was wasted in his role as the king. He didn't even have any good jokes, I thought, but that seems to be his fate these days. That and how they waste him as Nearly Headless Nick.

He seems to be taking odd little parts that don't use his talents much at all.

Arrrrrgh.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came back from seeing it, and it was absolutely hilarious! It was entertaining the entire time. There were so many odd jokes that I probably missed more than half of them because I was too busy laughing at the ones I did get. So... when does Shrek 3 come out?

(HP comes out next week!)

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. Couldn't stop noticing how much the animation's improved over the years -- just watch their hair move, jesus...

Poor Eddie Murphy seems to have been relegated to funny colored sidekick, more so than he was in the last movie, where he had at least some degree of character development and depth. Banderas did great, though I disliked the "innit we sahpossa hava fiesta???" bit. Nothing particularly wrong with it, just a bit out of character with the cuddly Hispanic nobility Puss had been exhibiting throughout the movie -- I mean, god, why not have him start announcing soccer plays, too?

I was totally rocking out to the new "Holding Out For A Hero." Fairly sure that makes me not slightly gay. Still, worth it.

I didn't like this movie as much as I liked the last one, though. This one's too blatantly a sequel -- a "we've already done character depth, let's put them in a wacky situation!" kind of attitude. Still, damn good. Glad I saw it. Heh, glad I paid for it. But somewhere deep inside of me mourns that Troy sank while this swam -- I really shouldn't have, but I dug the damn movie, blatant inaccuracies and all. That, and I don't want to see the epic's popularity drown in Hollywood. I'm still praying for an Odyssey sequel with Sean Bean...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We loved Shrek 2.

Better than the first.

The one part I didn't like, and the ONLY part, was the cover of "Holding Out For a Hero.' I'm sorry, but Bonnie Tyler is the only woman who can sing that song. Period.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
We took the kiddos to see it last weekend, and all of us laughed like crazies throughout the movie. I thought the character of Puss in Boots was hilarious - especially when he denied owning the catnip.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

How did the Gingerbread Man, Pig, Mice, and Pinnochio get to far far away so fast? I hate obvious, glaring gaps like that in movies - it's carelessness by the writers.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought they planted the Catnip on him. Could go either way, I guess.

Oui. The cat is the star of the show. Everything that had him in it was fantastic. Loved the subtle digs at random movies and stores.

Plot itself = boring and cliche, despite the "ogre" replacing the classic hero,

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes. And finally, "Changes"? GAH! How dare they use a crappy replacement singer for that song? They ruined it!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Cliche? That movie makes fun of so many cliches from fairy tales.

I *love* the portrayals of the real fairy tale princesses in both Shrek I and II--like Cinderella and Snow White duking it out over the wedding bouquet in I, and Sleeping Beauty holding a sleepover when she was eight and falling out of the carriage in II. It was awesome.

I liked the LOTR reference with the wedding ring. It mimicked the movie perfectly.

I adored Puss in Boots, I just wish he hadn't been in the trailers. That was something they should have saved.

Did anyone else catch on SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER that the King was a frog right off? I watched this with my younger brother and as soon as the Queen said something about walking along the lillies with him, I said "he's so a frog" and he agreed then.

Loved the music, but I didn't think "Livin la Vida Loca" was quite as good as the "Believer" from Shrek I. "I need a Hero" was, though. That rocked my socks off.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is anyone else incredibly anxious for The Emperor's New Groove 2 to come out??? In my opinion, it was MUCH better than Shrek.
*still planning to see Shrek 2*

Then you, my friend, are an idiot.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet, I called the frog way off too. [Smile]

Bob, SOOO Many great movies spoofed in this I was LMBO the entire time, I was almost amazed no one else mentioned it 'til you.

*Still laughing about the ET: BE GOOOOOOOOD reference*
And the rendering has seen a facelift too, I really loved how not only the hair was nice, but WOW on the lighting blooms, *The bright white that came from the hair in the light*

I so need to work on my 3d skills again.

[ May 30, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: raventh1 ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS I called the pregnant dragon from the beginning. When Shrek and Fiona first came back, Donkey made some comment about the dragon being moody. I immediately thought, "She's pregnant." But then I forgot about until the little mutant babies at the end. /SPOILERS

[ May 30, 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
About the crew getting there so fast after it took Shrek & Co quite a while -- I assumed the dragon brought them, although it doesn't explain why she didn't show up again until the end.

Maybe they stepped through the mirror? They're all awfully small...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome it was.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
It was simply entertaining. Better than the first, in my opinion.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.