FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Low Carb =/

Author Topic: Low Carb =/
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Krispy Kreme donuts reported loss of sales because of the low-carb diets.

I love Krispy Kreme donuts! I say everyone should go and buy a dozen of donuts from KK to support KK.
[Party]

quote:

NEW YORK, May 20 (Reuters) - The American Bakers Association and the North American Millers' Association plan a public relations campaign for their carbohydrate-heavy products as low-carb diets surge in popularity, the Wall Street Journal said on Thursday.

With the tentative slogan, "Bread. It's Essential", the two groups, whose companies have baked goods and ingredients sales of more than $60 billion a year, will mount a $4-$5 million per year campaign aimed at doctors and schools, the Journal cited industry officials as saying.

The industry has hired the Mullen advertising agency, part of the Interpublic Group of Cos. (IPG) , for the marketing and public-relations campaign, it reported.

It said the effort would use experts to counteract those who advocate low-carbohydrate diets that prize the protein in meat and vegetables while shunning starchy foods.

Earlier in May, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD) cut its earnings forecast, the latest food company to be hurt by the low-carbohydrate diet craze.

One of the world's largest dry pasta makers, New World Pasta Co., filed for bankruptcy protection this month as the diets, including the most popular Atkins and South Beach methods, cut into sales.

© Reuters 2004. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

[ May 21, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Krispy Kreme is in trouble for other reasons. They are currently being sued by their shareholders. They have also admitted that they rode the "fad" of Krispy Kreme, with no plan for what would happen if/when the fad ever faded, which it now has.

You cannot blame the low carb diet for everything. They would have been in trouble even without it.

[ May 21, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm...I love Krispy Kremes. I will now buy even more of them b/c I'm sick to death of the low carb crap. It seems like every commercial and every product in the stores now are low carb. Is there anyone besides me who isn't on this diet?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am on no diet at all. I probably should be, though...

Even if it's only the "Don't take seconds most of the time" diet.

[ May 21, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Overexpansion has killed many businesses that rely on the food fad model.

See frozen yogurt, wraps, smoothies...

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, seriously. Low-carb aside, anyone who is trying to eat a healthy diet is going to avoid donuts! Bread is one thing, donuts are a very different thing.

-Vána

[ May 21, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I eat a very healthy vegetarian diet, but I still eat a lot of donuts too. [Evil]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think generally the novelty of Krispy Kremes has worn off. I know they were really trumped when they built one here in our city, and people flocked there for the first few months, but eventually decided the donuts weren't that much better than the other donut places in town.

People get bored easily.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a Krsipy Kreme donut shop on the same corner here for at least 35 years, and it still does a good business.

The novelty has definitely NOT worn off... [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
that would be why they are now opening stores in Canada, finding a new place where it is still a novelty

*still likes Tim Hortons, despite the fact that KK is good*

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Krispy Kreme opened a store here on Maui the last week in January. It is the only one in the state, and on every inter-island flight I have been on since, probably 50-60% of the passengers are taking dozens of donuts to other islands. I did it myself in April when I had a meeting in Honolulu. I was very popular that day. And nearly everytime I speak to folks in Honolulu, they ask me to bring donuts next time I come.

I was excited when they announced that they were opening here, because I lived in the South in the early 80's and remembered how good they were, but I'm really getting kind of tired of them.

And I'm TOTALLY sick of the low carb crap. You can't even get a decent sandwich at Subway here now that they've started selling wraps. The last couple of times I've eaten there, the bread hasn't been too fresh.

[Grumble]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Krispy Kreme donuts, but if I ate them as often as I wanted to I'd turn into a big fat blob. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Krispy Kreme is not a fad! When they're hot, they are the best things on the face of the planet.

I demand you take back your words, Porter.

<throws down gauntlet>

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Krispy will never be able to replace Tims. Timmys has somehow managed to burrow itself into our nation's consciousness, and we're all sort of proud of it.

It's crazy, but nowhere else can I get coffee with so much caffeine my eyes bleed.

mmmm...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, neither me nor any of my friends or family are on one of the low-carb diets, but I really hope they don't go away soon. With a wheat-sensitive father and several friends with sugar-sensitive disabilities, it used to be nearly impossible to find a somewhere where the whole family can eat. But now with the low-carb craze, a good many places are popping up almost overnight. And some of them almost don't taste like crap. Almost.

'Course, I still like to say to them "Hey, look what I'm eating! I think it's a real sandwhich with real juice. Well, dunnatbeatall."

Oh yeah, and Krispy Kremes is the shiznit. I just wish I could get 'em fresh here in Prescott. As it is, I have to commute to Phoenix if I want them fresh, and I'm not going to commute for donuts.

[ May 21, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what? I've never had a Krispy Kreme donut. I don't think I even knew they existed till I read this thread (although the name seems oddly familiar, so I may have seen it before).

I'm all for Tim Horton's. Not that I eat donuts very often, but even I am allowed my occasional bursts of patriotism. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
When they built the local Krispy Kreme here in Orem, I couldn't believe how long the lines were. Every so often I would consider getting some, the severe crowds and lines drove me away. It was ridiculous! But I guess there aren't any lines any more, eh? Maybe I need to go get a box....

Unfortunately, while I am a big fan of donuts, I AM on a diet. No, not a low-carb diet either. Just a basic "eat less calories and make the calories you do eat healthy and exercise lots" diet. I am sick of the low-carb fad too. I am just waiting for it to die out. I am far more concerned about trans-fatty acids, personally.

The problem with most "bread" is that it is made from white flour. I will agree, that stuff isn't too good for ya. I try to stay with whole grains as much as possible. Except for brown rice. Ick. But to say grain=evil? Bread, the staff of life? Something is seriously wrong with that. If I understand correctly, a baked potato is pretty nutritious too.

We get fads because people get bored of the same old story. Wanna lose weight? Eat less, eat healthy, and exercise. It's like the oft-repeated religious council: go to church, pray, and read your scriptures. People get tired of hearing it, but that doesn't change it's importance.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a Tim Horton's. (Never even heard of it before)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of Tim Horton's either. I've gotta say though, it would take a strong coffee to make MY eyeballs bleed.
Never had a Krispy Kreme either. When they opened here to much fan fare, several of my friends said they taste just like safe way- unimpressive.
Now when my nieghbor makes fresh doughnuts,about once a year....I am all over it.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Just how good is Tim Horton's? And isn't it an upscale division of Wendy's or something? The busiest corner in our town was just purchased by Tim Horton's. There is a huge, nearly new building there that will be torn down to build this restaurant.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a Krispy Kreme donut.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Horton's is a part of Wendy's, and a lot of the new ones come packaged as a Tim Horton's and a Wendy's in the same building in the Midwest. It's nothing fabulous, but it's not bad either, and nicely inexpensive. They do bagels, donuts, deli sandwiches, and soups.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I think fresh Krispy Kremes are really good, but I would never buy them otherwise. If they aren't still hot, I don't want 'em (unless of course they're leftover from when I bought them hot - but that's not a likely scenario).

I've never had anything from Tim Horton's, but I think I saw one on my drive from Boston back to Illinois. Are they an Eastern thing?

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in the east and have never heard of Tim Horton's. But how can anything be better than KK warm donuts?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say TH can beat KK if you want to know you've eaten something...

quote:
I've never had anything from Tim Horton's, but I think I saw one on my drive from Boston back to Illinois. Are they an Eastern thing?
They're a Canadian thing mostly, definatly not just eastern as I live an hour from the Pacific and see them everywhere (although not half as bad as Ontario)

[ May 21, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: ReikoDemosthenes ]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Timmys is not an upscale Wendys [Grumble]

I'm not sure if Wendy's bought Timmy's or if they have just teamed up, but as far as I know they started quite seperately

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Krispy Kreme have been favorites ever since I was a kid and you could go and watch the machinery manufacturing them. Do they still do that? Show you the machinery? There's the little doughnut extruder and the river of hot oil, then the little flipper overer and the coolest part which is the sugar waterfall. I could watch those things for hours. They only showed the normal "glazed" type being made. I have no idea how they inject fillings and other mysteries like that. Perhaps the filled doughnuts had privacy issues and did not want people watching that very sensitive process of their creation.

Mmmmm, anyway, selling hot Krispy Kremes on Saturday mornings in the neighborhoods for exhorbitant prices used to be the main fund raising method for us when we were in school. When you eat them hot they just melt away into your mouth, and you can eat way more hot than you ever could cold. Like six or eight even, I think is my record. Then they expand later on inside you and you feel soooooo sick. [Smile] Each Saturday we would buy the last few boxes ourselves just to be done with it, then we would be so sick of them we would swear we never wanted another KK again. By the next Saturday we were hungry for more. They are quite addictive. [Smile]

This has been part of my childhood and growing up. It's not faddish here. They've been around forever and never had a fancy image until lately when they started opening up new stores in the nice parts of town. More of a truck stop sort of place. Open 24 hours.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Back it up.

KK has MORE than just the glazed?!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

You bet they do, I remember they have a cheesecake, lime pie, and tons of filled ones.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they have the kind with custard filling and chocolate glaze?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Even I have had -- and enjoyed -- Krispy Kreme donuts. Only some of their stores are under kosher supervision, and the closest of those is not that close. Although closer than when the closest was in another state.

Very good donuts; but I still prefer Entenmann's.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Those are Boston Creme. [Smile]
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to try these, but they only sell them in Harrods (Huge Egyptian themed department store in London - I live in the UK). I have got to get back home to London and try some. Why did I move so far away? [Grumble]
They sound good...

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.