FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A List of Everythings

Author Topic: A List of Everythings
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
A list of everything that is simply common sense and everybody should do but doesn't, compiled by yours truly: the denizens of Hatrack. I'll start.

1) Squeeze the toothpast from the BOTTOM.
2) Toilet seat goes DOWN.
3) Don't forget to FLUSH.
4) Look around, are you in a bathroom? If you are, WASH your hands before you leave it.

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
5) Never trust anyone who says "Trust me."
6) Never pass up free chocolate (unless your unsure of where it came from).
7) Read every post of Bob Scopatz for the humor.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
8) Smile as often as you can, especially if you don't feel like it. You'll feel alot better, and so will everyone else.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I contest the "toilet seat is down" as a needlessly sexist institution... It's not like women remember to put it up after they are done so we guys don't have to lift it to urinate. That's how wee hours of the morning, barely awake accidents can happen.

Just saying... [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Bok, that is EXACTLY how Porter always put it early on in our marriage. Scary. Of course, he grew up in a family of all boys.

Edit: Having toddlers finally convinced him that leaving the toilet seat down might just be a good idea.

[ May 21, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
When in the accelertation lane of an on ramp, ACCELERATE!

Do not drive in someone's blind spot if it can at all be helped.

If you hit wet or icy roads, or in a tight corner, DO NOT BRAKE!

Only point a firearm (loaded, unloaded, whatever) at something you want broken.

[ May 21, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
My take on the toilet seat issue - it shouldn't be one! We've always kept the entire lid closed, hence whether you're male or female you're lifting a seat. We don't do it out of fairness; I just think it looks better than walking into the bathroom and being greeted by an open toilet.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good thing for guys to have the toilet seat down as well, say you're up in the middle of the night and you need to use the restroom...you sit down *SPLASH* you're down in the toilet now aren't you? It's for your own protection.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Boys don't "poo". Contrary to popular belief, we are delicate creatures.

*nods knowingly*

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When in the accelertation lane of an on ramp, ACCELERATE!
If you're in the right lane next to the acceleration lane and can move into the left, DO SO!
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just think it looks better than walking into the bathroom and being greeted by an open toilet.
I'm not sure how I would feel about being greeted by my toilet whether it was open or not.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of driving "shoulds", a few words about merging:

1) When lanes are merging, merge as soon as possible. Preferably BEFORE the very last second possible, so as to avoid causing the rest of us to have to jam on our brakes becasue you want to get to the front of the line by cutting the rest of us off.

2) And read the merge sign to realize that there is a differecne between a merge LEFT ( |\ ) and a merge RIGHT ( /| ).

I swear that the failure of people to do these two things account for at least 50% of trafic jams in the greater DC metro area! [Grumble]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who live in Utah: Turn signals. They exist. Use them.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of merges!

Make sure the lane you are in actually MERGES before you slam on your breaks and cause people behind you to get rear ended!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My take on the toilet seat issue - it shouldn't be one! We've always kept the entire lid closed, hence whether you're male or female you're lifting a seat. We don't do it out of fairness; I just think it looks better than walking into the bathroom and being greeted by an open toilet.

I have to agree with space opera on this one! Oh, and if you truly want to be greeted, you could look for a toilet lid cover like the one my M-I-L had: it had Santa on it, with lid down it said "Ho Ho Ho" but with lid up his hands were over his eyes and it said "Oh Oh Oh." [ROFL]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a good thing for guys to have the toilet seat down as well, say you're up in the middle of the night and you need to use the restroom...you sit down *SPLASH* you're down in the toilet now aren't you? It's for your own protection.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that. We're smart enough to put the seat down before we sit down. I think I did that once when I was 5. I don't think I've done it since.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . wee hours of the morning . . . .
Apt phrasing, Bok. *snicker*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
wouldn't that be the wee-wee hours of the morning?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For those who live in Utah: Turn signals. They exist. Use them.
Virginia police cars, Viginia drivers, people who drive Cadillacs, South Carolina drivers, and anyone else that I missed.

Including my mother.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I second zgators suggestion - I hate it when people drive in the middle or outside lane when there's nothing inside of them.

I also agree with space opera - put seat and lid down - flush and after washing hands - depart and shut toilet door as you're leaving.

. Somethings not a bargain if you weren't going to buy it in the first place.

[ May 21, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Read the road code. Seriously. Learn when you're meant to give way. How do people get their licences not knowing this? [Roll Eyes]

When you use the last of something (butter, juice, milk for example) PLEASE throw the container in the rubbish instead of putting it back in the fridge. I mean how hard is this, really? And if you don't throw it out, it's not in a see-through container, and it's not something I use often ; if I don't get more when I go to the grocery shop because I didn't know we had run out, don't blame ME! [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
tt&t - is this a problem in your household perchance?
Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe. What makes you say that? [Razz]

Yes. ::sigh:: [Wink]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If you hate stupid shows don't watch them.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I contest the "toilet seat is down" as a needlessly sexist institution... It's not like women remember to put it up after they are done so we guys don't have to lift it to urinate. That's how wee hours of the morning, barely awake accidents can happen.

Please. I have covered this before. The only reason toilets even HAVE a moveable seat is because men kept peeing on them and no woman would want to sit on the seat after that.

Men, why don't you try peeing with the seat down? Can you do it without hitting the seat? If so, then great, leave it down. If not, then you'll understand why it moves in the first place. The seat moves up and down for YOUR benefit, so that your wives won't keep griping about sitting on a pee-pee seat. If you put it up to pee because your aim is so bad that you would have hit it, then be kind enough to put it down when you're done. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for dudes to grasp.

Not to mention that the inside of a toilet is even uglier with the seat up.

[ May 21, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Double dipping. I mean, seriously, you spend hours (okay, minutes) making guacamole or houmous and it just takes one nasty little person to dip their half chewed cracker back into your delicious dip and suddenly no-one wants it any more! (very small rant)

Also people who borrow your books and bend the spines of your paperbacks in half so you get white creases. I can't bear cruelty to books.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

PSI, relax, turn up the "feigned indignance" detector [Smile]

-Bok

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also people who borrow your books and bend the spines of your paperbacks in half so you get white creases. I can't bear cruelty to books.
Paperbacks are supposed to look worn and well read. Kind of like a vintage clothing thing. With hard cover books I can buy this.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Some "everythings" you need to remember in this computer era:

When starting a document, save it first !
Then save it regularly.
And keep older versions too. You never know when you're going to screw up !
Always make a safety copy of your important documents / projects.
And if it's really important, make a backup of the backup.

I think I'm going to make a copy of this post, just in case everything currently on the forum is wiped out and I need to remind you people again these basics. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the toilet seat. I think it is not only ok, but neccesary for guys to leave the toilet seat up. My justification? A woman who will sit her naked butt on something without looking at it first will eventually back your car through the garage door.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, if you care that much about the book, don't loan it out.

This is why I have two copies of Cat's Cradle, The Martian Chronicles, Hart's Hope, ect. I can still spread the joy of reading those books without fear of what someone's going to do to my nice little signed edition that I love so much.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wussy Actor: [ROFL]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Things to remember:

1. If she drives a Camaro, she's not a virgin.
2. It's better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
3. Cops could care less if you "pay their salary."
4. When you screw up, honestly admit it and do it quick... it'll take the steam out of most angry bosses.
5. Never say you don't like a particular food until you've tried it. And make sure to try the foods you don't like every five years or so. Your tastebuds grow up as you do.
6. If you call quitting time "beer thirty" you might have a problem.
7. Married six times? Heck, mebbe it's you!
8. and last but not least, always wear sunscreen...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
8. and last but not least, always wear sunscreen...
I never do this. I get one or two sunburns a year, but that's it. If I have so smother goop all over me to go outside, I'd rather just stay inside.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.