FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fahrenheit 9/11 wins Cannes Film Festival

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11 wins Cannes Film Festival
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Moore's 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Has Hollywood Buzzing

This is something that even Bowling for Columbine couldn't do. It looks like Moore will be back in the limelight again this year.

But the real question is, can a documentary influence the elction?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely not. People will only say he is lying or exagerating. I am curious to see this.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are the judges for the Canne Film Festival?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

I think they change. But I know the head judge this year was Quentin Tarantino.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Tarantino was group President this year. Other judges:

BenoƮt POELVOORDE, (Belgium)
Emmanuelle BEART, (France)
Jerry SCHATZBERG, (US)
Kathleen TURNER, (US)
Peter VON BAGH (Finland)
Tilda SWINTON, (UK)
Tsui HARK (Vietnam)

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
You see that?!? Do you get it?!?

Foreigners! Almost three-quarters of 'em are Foreigners!

Of course they hate us!* And look--they've even got the FRENCH there! It's so biased!

(* Actually, they don't hate "us." They hate "you." I'm a liberal.)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
he he he [Smile]
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just say that F-9-11 would have to be a substantially different piece of media from Moore's other pieces of...media...to be worth its salt.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Well, if it can be as good as Bowling For Columbine, it will be more than worth it's salt. That film was quite powerful - and won an Oscar to boot.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, if it won an Oscar it must be good. It's got to be at least 1/11 as good as Titanic .
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
After hearing some of the allegations that Fahrenheit 911 makes, my initial reaction is, he'd better show me some damn evidence [Smile] Bowling for Columbine had its good, thoughtful bits, and its outlandishly prejudicial and obnoxious bits. I'm concerned that the past few years have pissed Michael Moore off to the degree that his next film might be heavier on the latter.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert gave it a good review, and said it's generally more serious than his other films:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-feature/cst-ftr-cannes18.html

quote:
Michael Moore the muckraking wiseass has been replaced by a more subdued version in "Fahrenheit 9/11," his new documentary questioning the anti-terrorism credentials of the Bush regime....

But the film doesn't go for satirical humor the way Moore's "Roger & Me" and "Bowling for Columbine" did. Moore's narration is still often sarcastic, but frequently he lets his footage speak for itself....

After the first press screening on Monday, journalists noted on their way out that Moore was more serious in this film and took fewer cheap shots. But there are a few.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.