FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A thread that's not about my marriege. I'm growing a beard!

Author Topic: A thread that's not about my marriege. I'm growing a beard!
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than my face being really itchy, things seem to be progressing nicely with growth.

The grizzley Admas look is coming back baby! Well, maybe not but I feel like being hairy for a while.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever notice how girls always do something drastic to their hair after an emotionally wrenching break-up?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Aaron shaved his head after his last break up.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
What like not shaving their legs for six months? [Big Grin]
Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

prrrrrickly!

Edit: Though I guess after 6 mo they wouldn't be so prickly anymore....

[ May 24, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
After each of my breakups, I bought a new (different) vehicle.

1st guy -- run out and dump the Datsun, get a Jeep.

2nd guy -- dump the Jeep, got a Nissan truck.

We're talking like within two weeks of the break-up.

Yeah, more expensive than just re-doing my hair.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

One of Porter's ex's bought a car right after their break-up. He broke up with her because he was twitterpated with me. ^_^

Edit: I was on the other side of the planet at the time. Long story. Will tell y'all someday.

[ May 24, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
twitterpated...nice word
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Beverly - so, what. You calling me a girl. Look guys I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'm lonely and yes, girls suck, but I'm not ready to switch teams yet. And certainly not such a drastic move as to get my boys removed. well, not yet at least. [Razz]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

seriously though, I did expect to hear some comments like you all have made. And quite honestly I think the whole new look thing is due to the fact that so much is changing right now in my life. hmmm... go figure. I'm as predictable as the next person.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Beatnix, I don't think beverly was calling you a girl. She was saying that you are doing something similar to what many girls do after a break-up.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
And I was saying it's not just girls that do it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew a beard for two weeks and then I couldn't stand the hairyness of it all. Maybe if it weren't a full beard I would have been happier with it. As it is, I like things unhairy on my chin.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

mph -

1st comment = sad attempt at joke.

2nd comment - my agreeing with beverly. I'm just a big girl trying to get out of this man's body [Wink]

(ok, so that was another attempt at humor, my body isn't manly at all)

Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, beat. Now maybe if you start wearing tie-dye and growling a lot CBS will give you a million dollars. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I think a well trimmed beard can look very manly. But I have an irrational dislike for guys sporting a mustache. (Meaning a mustache with no accompanying beard.) I think men with lone mustaches look like rodents.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Beatnix,

No one's making fun of you for being predictable - not yet, anyway. [Wink]

FWIW, I've done some appearance changes along your lines during major times of life-change - especially relationship-loss times. In my case, it was either shaving or growing the beard.

In my case, I have a positive association with the practice. I didn't do these things right away. They seemed to coincide with a psychological and emotional shift to move on (the actual moving on was a longer process though).

One epiphany I'll share. About 6 months after the most gut-wrenching breakup I've ever experienced I woke up and realized something.

I was alone and felt miserable.

But then I realized that even that feeling was several steps up from the way I felt for most of the time during the final months of the relationship that fell apart. It's just that the steady state of misery in the relationship built up in a way that I just grew accustomed to it, unable to recognize how truly horrible I felt.

Don't know if this is at all helpful or relevant - take it for what it's worth and what it's not.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I've tried to grow one a couple of times before and always seem to bail at around two weeks. But not this time!
beverly
Member # 6246

I've been dropping hints for Porter to grow a beard again, just for me. But he doesn't feel as rebellious as he used to. I think he has very good reasons for not growing one out right now, but I sure would find it sexy.
cochick
Member # 6167

Sorry beatnix - I always read your SN as beatrix for some reason.

I love stubbly guys - I have a theory why but refuse to disclose it here.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

sndrake - I actually do feel I've made a bit of a turn. Although I almost pathetically want her still, I for the first time, am actually ready to move forward and apart from her. So once again, I am a predictable fellow.

hmmm... new look = new outlook.

Odd how my thread that wasn't about my marriage, well, still is.

beverly
Member # 6246

Go Beatnix! There's nothing wrong with being predictable, contrary to popular belief. Also, not surprising that this thread would turn to that subject. I do not fault you at all for that. Whenever something major is happening in my life, I find I need to talk about it a lot and have a difficult time keeping my mind on other subjects.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

cochick - I had a few friends with theories about facial hair. None of them were appropriate for a family forum though. Their theories were very "enhancing" *wink, wink. nudge, nudge*
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Facial hair is usually a good thing. [Smile]

You should let us see pics beatnix, so we can encourage your growth of facial hair.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

actually i was wondering about that. How do I get on the hatrack photo site? New computer and roadrunner = good picture fun.
cochick
Member # 6167

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Beatnix!

Actually it's not that honest.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it in an email to Toni: hatrack@foobonic.com
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm really surprised to see so many women on here who LIKE facial hair on guys.

I LOVE for my men to have beards and/mustaches, or even stubble. But so many of my co-worker women (and men) have convinced me that I'm the only woman that feels that way. Most of the guys won't grow beards "because my wife doesn't like it" and most of the women think they're yucky.

I think they are all insane for saying that. I would love it if most all men had beards (there are just a very select few that DON'T look good with facial hair)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Email photos to Ralphie at dandadodge@comcast.net to get photos up. The site is www.foobonic.com

Edit: not sure if the other email is working

[ May 24, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
The best is the first week, especially if he has sort of long hair that's a little tossled. Facial hair is so sexy, but I understand why some women don't like facial hair, hasn't anyone else ever gotten chafed from stubble? I get a rash on my chin if I kiss a guy with stubble.
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

RRRRawer. I used to be distinctly in the camp of not liking facial hair on guys *at all*. I hated hairy men in general. Me and my hs friends would talk about "oranges and kiwis". We would go on and on about how grodie hairy men were. Porter converted me! [Big Grin] I still find most hairy men gross, but in moderation it is nice, and on Porter, *very* nice.
cochick
Member # 6167

Why do I get the feeling that on Porter anything would be *very* nice in Beverley's opinion?
beverly
Member # 6246

Are you insinuating that I am biased? [Wink]
cochick
Member # 6167

I definitely think its partially to do with the idea of liking a bit of rough.

Which strangely goes completely in opposition to my earlier comment about Orlando Bloom and liking baby-faced guys.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Farmgirl's post. Except for the stubble. Bleh! No stubble! But facial hair on a guy is a wondrous -- and underappreciated -- thing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Stubble less than a week old is too sharp, but once the beard softens, reeaowrrr! My husband had a huge beard when we met, but he's not had one recently.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I was saying it's not just girls that do it.
I agree Katharina. I just got dumped and I just got my head shaved today.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Wish I could grow a beard. Alas, my facial hair is thing, wirey and patchy. If I don't shave it just looks like I haven't washed my face lately. Of course, that doesn't mean I *do* shave. I'm far too lazy (and single) to bother with something like that.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I once dated a Native American (Navajo) and he didn't/couldn't have any facial or much body hair (read that as "chest hair") I guess that race has different genes because I don't think he could have grown a beard if he tried.

Which brings me to why I don't understand why they shave male models. In every catalog, like modeling men's clothing, etc., the models are all clean-shaven, not only their faces, but their chests as well. Why do marketers think that is sexier than a guy with a little masculine chest hair?

Farmgirl
*who realizes she's getting away from Beatnix original topic of his beard. Sorry beatnix*

beatnix19
Member # 5836

Man, my face is really itchy. This is why I never get past week two. I get annoyed with the itch and shave. Hmmm... I am curious as to how full It will be. I'm not a super fuzzy guy but it does come in pretty evenly. No big gaps or anything like that. I've always worn a goat and that gets nice and bushy so I'm hopeful!
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Derail away, no big deal. I mean it's not like my beard topic is a hugely important issue!

I think the shaved thing is because it defines the muscle much more without body hair. And I mean, have you ever seen an average man in a fashion magazine? It's not just the hair they are neglecting.

closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay the course, brother. It shouldn't take much longer than 2 weeks for the itch to go away. I was planning to shave my beard this summer, but I'm afraid that I've hit the point of no return. I've already had too much sun on the face.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Give it time, BtL. One of my brothers used to have that problem. Now (a few years later) his beard (when he has one) is starting to look respectable.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.