FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls and Gaming (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Girls and Gaming
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would *love* to play a game like that. It would be incredibly interesting. Well, could be, anyway.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sims is at least a little like that, although (sadly) the kids, properly speaking, don't grow into adults.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Sims is kind of like that except that I wish there was more depth to their characters.

That, and my Sims take forever to make friends. They're just so antisocial.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja Squirrel --

Diablo?

I can, and have, played Diablo. But I can only play it with the sound turned off. I just HATE the battle sounds on that game when you're doing combat. Makes me feel --- evil or something.

I wish Sims had real dialogue

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Several of my Sims have clear personalities, though not all. (Bella, you wicked woman!) If you listen closely you can make out some of the "words" which sound as though they match the attitude the Sim is portraying. Of course, I have been called a Boogensnot too many times to count...just who do those Sims think they're talking to out here, anyway?

Since I got Hot Date it has been much harder to get Sims to marry; that's not all bad, as it was too easy before, but now it is very difficult. Also, I don't seem to be able to get "just friends" to move in together, which has wreaked havoc on the sorority and fraternity houses.

[ May 28, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I really got to get a new copy of Livin' large because I am starting to miss that game..
(Has also made a lot of gay sims male and female)

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a game addict. I love Civ's and the like and all kind of card/logic crap, but my GAME is now and always will be DIABLO!!!!! It is my all time fav and if Blizzard doesn't put out a third version I will not be responsible for what happens to them. They have to hurry before my baby comes and I have no more time to play! I don't think I can click the mouse and breast feed. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like spending my parents money, so buying video games are pretty much out of the question. None of my friends are very interested in games, so I can't borrow anything from them. Simply because of my pride, I refuse to go up to casual friends and ask if I can borrow their games. So no, I don't game that often but if I could, I can imagine it developing into a hobby.

I just started playing gun bound recently and love it- it's pretty much the only thing I can afford to play (free). RPG games are my favorite: I've played Harvest Moon, a bit of Zelda and Final Fantasy at my friends house and a lot of old games that I had in one cd such as the HUGO trilogies, Dave Dude, Sam and Max, Pizza Tycoon, Monkey Island, and tentacles. As a kid, I played nintendo a lot. Later, I got a gameboy and started playing Wario and of course, Pokemon.

I like playing group games too, like GLAD (I am always the druid- I make trees. *snort*) and Super Smash Brothers.

My brother doesn't let me touch his games but while he is away, I use to sneak to his computer and tried my hand at Doom, Diablo and more recently, Counter-Strike. [Razz] Out of sheer terror of what he will do to me if he finds out, I tend to stay away from his computer and never played more than a couple of times.

I am aware that this is a bad, bad thing but since I can't afford games, I download most of the ones I play. More recent games, are very difficult for me to get a hold of so I usually don't even bother. I usually download old classics or abandonware games which I think are nearly, if not just as good and addictive as recent games.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toes
Member # 4603

- posted      Profile for Toes   Email Toes         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaming has been a huge part of my life since I was probably about 6. I would always force my older brother to let me tag along when he got a new game, and then I would sneak onto it when he was gone. It's not like I wasn't allowed, but he refused to let me play when I asked. He told me to go do girly things. Now that I'm 18 he encourages me to play, and we get the LAN hooked up every once in a while so we can take out some sibling agressions.
I've played mostly FPS's but I like just about everything. Through the years:
Nintendo
Wolfenstein 3D
Duke Nukem
Jedi Knight
Sims
Tomb Raider
Quake 3
Diablo 2 and LoD
Counter-Strike
Halo
GTA (Vice City Especially)
CoH
...And far too many others to count.

My favorite of all is Counter-Strike. I love the tactics involved, teamwork, cooperation, and commaraderie. My only wish about changes in the game would be that there are female skins. That goes for a lot of games I like as well.

I adore Halo, but wish I had it on PC instead of Xbox. I'm much more familiar with keyboard controls than the xbox controller.

I suppose by now I am quite adept at picking up any game. I've never had any major problems with reflexes or anything. It seems I'm mostly attracted to games where you can work with a group of other people and interact. The only difficulty I've had is finding other females my age who enjoy playing, and also feeling accepted into games without harassment.
Rock on Lady Gamers!

[ May 28, 2004, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Toes ]

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
dawnmaria,

Yes, you can. I got really good at one-handed typing and mouse control when my daughter was at the breast.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny Gardener,
Thank You! I see a ray of hope! My husband and I are like very large children. We like cartoons and before I got preggers and couldn't keep my eyes open past 10:30, we liked to play games late into the night. I wonder how old the kid needs to be before we get them into Diablo. We need a necromancer in our party! He/She can be of some help! [Big Grin]

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
My gaming resume began with good ol' Atari, but my dad didn't want to spring for new games, so I got really good at the games that came with the system.

When I was eight, my folks bought this great stand-alone game called Electronic Detective, which was a murder mystery game that pre-dated the PC.

In late elementary school, I loved the original Oreagon Trail. I also had an uncle who had coleco vision, which I played Hamberger TIme on any chance I could get!

In early high school, I had a neighbor who had this great puzzle/text game called Wish Bringer. We played it for hours.

Of course, once I graduated high school, Super Mario Bros. III was all the rage!

My X and I used to play/map Wizardry games on his MAC SE until dawn.

There was a period of time where I could do nothing with my waking hours but play Myst and Riven from beginning to end.

Now, I own a PS2 and seem to play one game at a time until I just can't play them anymore. Presently, it's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. I also enjoy my quick game fixes online, with games like Bounce Out, Collapse, Avalanch, Text Twist, and the like.

I not a big fan of first person shooter games (Hit Man, Medal of Honor, etc.) or puzzle/logic games that are impossible to figure out (Monkey Island, etc.).

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
What do I want out of a game?

Non-linear, completely immersive story line and interesting characters/baddies. I like atmosphere over graphics, though good graphics are a plus. By atmosphere, I mean whatever the situation warrants. Like the dark, grainy atmosphere of the Thief games. Or, the cheeky, campy feel of the NOLF games. Or, the building tension created when the music starts to drive right before you hit a baddie in Half-life.

I don't want button-mashing, as I like to be able to feel good about the skills I develop through the game. I like rewards when they're warranted (after spanking a baddie), I like progressively gaining better and better weaponry, and I like it when my bad guys are slightly cooler than me at any given time. I'd rather two hard guys then a billion easy ones, as a challenge is better than a bloodbath. However, whatever the situation, I want to be able to BUY INTO IT. So, if it makes sense that there would be a billion way less cooler than me guys than me around, that's what I want to run into. I enjoy plot twists and turns, but they aren't necessary.

I'm not a fan of adventure games, because I hate how linear they are and I hate trying to figure out what someone else thinks is a logical progression of steps. I've never played Sims, so I have no opinion on those types of games. I'm not a huge fan of RTS's, but I'm not a huge fan of Chess, either. My preferred gaming is FPS and the like, third-person action, and RPGs.

(Notable exceptions to Adventure games and RTS's: the Zork games, because they're funny and/or they pretend they're not completely and utterly linear (plus, good atmosphere), and Dungeon Keeper, due to cheek and the twist that you were now the bad guy. Plus, slapping lazy imps. Loved that.)

Do you need more stuff like that, Geoff? That's just off the top of my head, but I can really think about it if you want me to.

edit: OH! And screw all y'all that say Quick Save and Quick Load is for sissies. I WANT QUICK SAVE. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[ May 28, 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Geoff, you damned ingrate - I put some good stuff in there.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed, but here's a quick list of what I like.

1. RPG's that aren't heavily fantasy-oriented, like Mother 2 (Earthbound). It's fantasy, but there are no knights or fairies or whatever.

2. Stealth games like Metal Gear Solid and the others, and especially the Tenchu games.

3. The only shooting game I really love is Siphon Filter 2, probably because it's way more involved than just shooting. Goldeneye made me dizzy, as do many other first-person view shooters where you can only see the gun. (I know other people said that already.)

4. Harvest Moon and similar sims.

5. Most driving games like Gran Turismo and Mario Kart Double Dash...it doesn't have to be realistic for me to like it. Drift mode is a huge plus.

I used to like GTA3 but the gratuitous language, violence, and sex turned me off completely and I'm never going back. Similarly, games like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame used to be my faves but the heavy occultic references eventually turned me away.

(Logic games (except for Tetris and Dr. Mario) are best played on a board or with paper and pencil. Sorry.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, having looked at what I want and what is out there (curse you Jebus), I want Fable. Which means I want an X-Box.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie is right that atmosphere is more important than graphics. I've played some games with cool graphics that were utterly boring..

...and then at home much of the time we play ADOM, which is basically a DOS-window type of game, dos-type graphics, but it has so many different possibilities that we never tire of playing it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....

Diablo 1 and 2, Warcraft, Starcraft, Final Fantasy 2, Battlefield 1942, Splintercell, civ 2 and 3, pharaoh, James Bond games, Halo, unreal, fallout 1 and 2, tetris, zelda games,

*will add more as she thinks of 'em*

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Zork with pictures. Find the loot, take the loot home, solve the puzzles. Wishbringer was another good one for the same reason. When I was little, my favorites were Mickey's Space Adventure and Where in (the World, the US, Time, wherever) is Carmen Sandiego. I like feeling like I've learned something.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

For the record, I don't want to ever have felt I've learned something. Make my game so that I actually lose learned information while I play it.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
AvidReader, you are the first person since I was in the fourth grade that I have heard mention Mickey's Space Adventure, including people that I remember seeing play it. I was starting to think that maybe I made the whole thing up.

Was anyone else a big fan of Oregon Trail back in the day?

[Edit: Um, by that question I'm attempting to corroborate my observation that many girls when I was a kid enjoyed Oregon Trail, not to say that I'm a girl. Although it's probably too late to say that now, and saying it just makes it more likely that somebody will make fun of me. OK, fine. Do your worst.]

[ June 04, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Oregon Trail - spent hours playing it.

This thread is starting to make me think I would enjoy Civ II.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I liked Civ II better than Civ III. I think 3 kinda showed More is Less.

I hear there's a Civ IV in the works. I hope it's good.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I hated Oregon Trail - was forced to spend hours playing it.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I loved Oregon Trail - spent hours playing it.

This thread is starting to make me think I would enjoy Civ II.

Civ 2 is AWESOME! I don't know that I prefer it to 3, and I enjoy both. But yah. . I think Civ2 is better overall. I think you'r love it Kat.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
celia how were you "forced" to spend hours playing it?

You know this thread has actually made me consider buying a game for my own use rather than Steve's. Or digging out one of his old ones like Civilization and trying it. I always look at computer games normally as a possible present for him, not as something that I would ever buy for myself.

Though I have this generally huge guilt complex for spending money on something that is exclusively for my pleasure.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Magson: Really? Hhmm... I should be doing other things right now (a la the Superior Entertainment thread), but it does sound like fun. I wonder if I can get an old copy off of eBay? *goes to look*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, I don't know if this is what Celia was referring to, but in my elementary school Oregon trail was a required activity.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I found a Civ II on eBay for the buy-it-now price of $1.25. Could that be for real?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I used to think Oregon Trail was just something people in the PNW were forced to play. I think I was in my early twenties when I ran into an East Coaster that mentioned they played it and I was stunned.

I mean, other people know how to search for berries and get dysentary? I felt like I'd lost my identity.

(btw - Oregon Trail is based on the Columbia River Gorge, where I grew up. I LIVED berries and dysentary, baby.)

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
? It was?! hmm, the joys of being homeschooled. Though Carmen SanDiego was supposed to be educational too cause you had to look stuff up in the mini encyclopedia. Problem was we lost their one that the level advancement was coded to the page numbers.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmen Sandiego games were FUN! Not as much fun as the PBS show, admittedly, but close.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ralphie, thank you very much [Smile] Sorry, I've been dealing with horrors at work, and my own gaming thread has been a bit too intimidating to open [Smile]

So far, I've never worked on a game in which we had to develop an "atmosphere" from the ground up. We've always tried to imitate an atmosphere from a TV show or movie (since that's what the game was based on). But I'm trying to pitch some new properties right now — I should give that some thought ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Now that I think of it, I enjoyed Oregon Trail until I realized I was never going to get to finish it. Computer period always ended well before you could get anywhere.
celia60
Member # 2039

Yeah, what dkw said. We randomly got either Oregon Trial or Carmen Sandiego.

Except that it wasn't random so much as we got to pick, in alphabetical order. Which was a lot like saying, screw you celia! You never get to pick!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.