FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prom Night: Ideas wanted.

Author Topic: Prom Night: Ideas wanted.
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 1AM and today is officially the day of my senior prom- we plan to go to the japanese garden, but it may rain, and we may just decide we won't want to do that- any crazy or cool ideas for activities or anything? before or after the dance? Thanks bunches.

~Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always try this.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Well that's absolutely frightening, my date's name is Sarah..
Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
You're doomed...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor poor Pepek...

(And Geoff, you beat me to it, I was going to make a wise crack about that, hehe)

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a girl named Rainelle in your group, if not, you may survive. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm this suddenly reminds me that my date sorta went for one of my friends at senior prom. Luckily he mostly flirted shamelessly with both of us so it was somewhat easier to ignore and I wasn't terribly interested in him.

So yeah umm just don't go for anyone else!

Other things you might not want to do. Racing your car, that always seems to happen.

If you're near a park and it doesn't rain that usually goes over well. Personally I would love to do something like bumpercars in a prom dress. That would be a great story.

If you can't go to the japanese garden a lot of people went to stuff like a japenese steak house where they make your food right in front of you.

Mostly just have fun.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm probably too late to help but I always wanted to go bowling in a prom dress.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I really think it was fun walking downtown in my prom dress, though I whined about it. How did I know that something about my prom nihgt would show up in this thread. Hope you have fun.

Sarah

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erick the Great
Member # 6527

- posted      Profile for Erick the Great           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...good old prom. I remember my prom night. Everything was so wonderfull. I (and my date) had so much fun.

Here's my prom story.

A few weeks before it happened, I asked this girl to go with me. Let's call her "J". J and I were pretty good friends. She was pretty, smart, funny and eventually I asked her to go with me. She turned me down. I was crushed, heartbroken. It really was painful. She said "I just wouldn't feel comfortable" I just stopped talking to her. I was so ashamed.

I ended up taking "R". She is a girl I know from Church. I asked her to go (as friends) and we had a blast and (even now) I have actually grown to really like her (I want her to be my girlfriend) Any way at the prom:

I see J standing there. Looks like she's alone.

Me(with my wonderful beautiful date): Hi J!

J: Uhhh...hey Erick!
(She looks suprised)

Me: Hey isn't it cool! I'm talking to people who I would normally never talk to.

[ May 29, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Erick the Great ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, god, I love you people, but these are such Mormon prom ideas.

Dude, just hit up an afterparty. Relax with a beer, enjoy a night with your girlfriend -- whether that's sex or just a long, romantic talk, just enjoy yourself. This'll be among the last few times you see your friends -- make the time count.

Even if all you do is end up at a Japanese restaurant or marvelling at your sudden talking to different people.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get lost on the way there and end up on the interstate. That's fun. I know.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Bowling shoes go well with most prom dresses.
Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dude, just hit up an afterparty. Relax with a beer
That's what prom night should be about. Underage drinking.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

If you say so. I submit prom night, such as it is in whatever part of the country you're in, should be about enjoying yourself -- and, in most cases, spending your last few nights together in some sort of climax to your relationship (no pun intended). The guy doesn't need to have sex or drink to consumnate his relationship with his girlfriend, of course, though I'd imagine both parties involved would want a finale more fitting for the depth and breadth of their love/lust/friendship than bowling.

Of course, I'm recommending what I didn't practice -- but I'd definitely suggest making this night something special. Take her driving all night, as Hobbes suggested. Take her for a walk down a beach (or lake or river, if you're inland). Take her somewhere special as befits the presumably dying burst of your relationship as you both go on to different futures and different lovers. Taking her bowling seems rather indicative of your appreciation of her presence.

But then, I'm assuming quite a bit. I'm assuming he's with a longterm girlfriend, and that he cares for her, if she exists at all. I'm assuming he believes their relationship deserves a climax, rather than a slow fade. And I'm assuming he's responsible enough to drink and not drive, to not overdose, to use as much protection as possible to protect her from any potential mistakes.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Though I should also point out, I don't see any particular harm in kicking back with a Corona (crappy-beer jokes aside). If the man's old enough to vote and drive and marry and go to war, I submit he's old enough to have a drink and make love to his girlfriend. The only causes for concern I see is if his sexual education's been stunted enough for him to make idiotic mistakes concerning protection from sexual diseases or pregnancy, or if he's lived under a stigma against sex for so long he's too wrapped up in his own concerns to care about her emotions or future. As far as the drinking aspect goes, I'd hope he's mature enough by now to handle his liquor without starting unnecessary fights or endangering lives.

These are pretty low standards. I'm confident most adults are intelligent enough to live up to them given proper education, despite the current political atmosphere's attempts to disprove my faith in the average American.

Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually refering to an activity to be done by a large group of friends

Drinking is stupid, especially underage. There is no point. Alcohol has its uses and its occasions, but is extremely over-rated.

And just so you know, Eddie, I seem to take your comment.. hmm which was it?.. "Taking her bowling seems rather indicative of your appreciation of her presence." as a personal attack. its not what you do that makes it special, but who its with. Maybe someday you'll realize something of this.

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
And just so you know, Eddie, I seem to take your comment.. hmm which was it?.. "Taking her bowling seems rather indicative of your appreciation of her presence." as a personal attack. its not what you do that makes it special, but who its with. Maybe someday you'll realize something of this.
No need to take that as a personal attack -- it certainly wasn't written as one.

I submit it's not what you do that makes an event special, but how you do it. If you take her bowling, which is your regular Friday-night date or whatever, it'll seem exactly that to her -- a whatever date. If you find some way to make the experience special for her, even if it is simply bowling, then you're already following my advice, aren't you?

That movie Ghost is a good example of this principle. One can easily assume Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze made clay on a regular basis, with little to no sexual intent behind the process. But that one night when he slid behind her and intertwined his fingers with hers, the two made one of the best love scenes in the history of Hollywood -- not because the clay was anything special, but because the two found a way to bring a climax (no pun intended) to their relationship. A high which I assume most couples would want to experience before the flames of their young love sputter to an end as they will, for most, within a few weeks.

If you found a way to make your woman feel wonderful through bowling, more power to you. It's your clay. But I strongly advise Pepek against making this yet another ho-hum date, given that it's popular tradition in America to make prom night the now-overused term "climax" of the high school relationship.

After all, JT Stryker treated his date as though it were a casual get-together, and look how furious Hatrack became at his dismissive attitude toward his abandonment of his date. Would that have happened if prom weren't considered such a special occasion, a finale to the development earned throughout a high school career?

I'm not one to take prom seriously, but I understand that many people do. If Pepek's taking someone he genuinely cares for to this deal, I strongly suggest he make the night special -- it may well be the last chance the man has to spend time with her, whoever she may be.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only causes for concern I see is if his sexual education's been stunted enough for him to make idiotic mistakes concerning protection from sexual diseases or pregnancy, or if he's lived under a stigma against sex for so long he's too wrapped up in his own concerns to care about her emotions or future.
Because the only possible reason people are careless about sex is a stunted education? And the only reason a guy can be sexually selfish is because he's been taught some stigma about sex?

I don't buy it at all. The people I know who've suffered the traditional consequences from unprotected sex definitely knew better - in fact, that was their lament on the subject. "I knew better. What was I thinking?" And I'd suspect that people who think sex is no big deal might be less inclined to take a girl's emotions and future into account.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The guy doesn't need to have sex or drink to consumnate his relationship with his girlfriend,
I thought that was the definition of consumate.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sometimes used that way (as wedding jargon), but consummate really just means "fulfill." It's also interesting because it acts as its own participle. Very similar to "perfect" in fact.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm feeling a serious disinterest in marrying Richard Berg due to the non-spectacularness of that post.

Weird.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Wellll- You might all wish to know how it went, eh?

Well, being that I was expelled.. I'm not exactly allowed to go to my own prom.. where on the other hand I am allowed to hang out with friends or whatever before and after the dance- which I find to be much more important then the dance itself.. but anyway- We ended up finding this awesome arcade with a ton of the old-school games, Dig-Dug, Centipede, a very awesome old-school version of Asteroids, and a ton of other oldies I never knew existed.. anyway, we didn't stay as long as I wished we could've.. it was a ton of fun- and anyway- while my date went to the dance to just hang with firends for a while- I went and bought candles and batteries for the cd player with speakers I had- and we had our own little prom dance by the waterfront.. it was very special and much better then the dance could've been- we ended up staying so late that the MAX (A train type thing) stopped making it's rounds and we had to take a taxi home- but all in all I enjoyed myself very much- and i'm sorry to say, but there are wayyyy too many Sarah's out there..

~Sir Montague

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggested bowling because I went to prom with a group of *friends*, and bowling wasn't something we normally did, especially in formals. Prom Night is about having fun, not about getting it on because you're moving on and breaking up anyway.

Pepek, you rock. That's exactly how a Prom night should have gone.

[ May 30, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Relax with a beer
WOOOOHH!! YEA! BEER! ALL RIGHT!!!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Why were you expelled?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think you're going to get away without explaining that!

For the record, there was nothing in the OP suggesting that high romance was even appropriate, so I didn't bother addressing it. If this time of year is signalling the end of a long relationship then by all means break out the merlot and Marvin Gaye. Or if you're my roommate and girlfriend, brace yourself for the Water Creatures movie marathon on Sci-Fi. Whatever does it for ya.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Well... this might explain a little of why I was expelled..

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=023409#000009

*whistles innocently*

~Sir Montague

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.