FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Please Help Me Spend My Money Wisely.

Author Topic: Please Help Me Spend My Money Wisely.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. After 28 months with no income, my social security disability income was approved this week. I should be getting a modestly huge check within a month or two, and have a small but reasonable monthly income within 6 months.

My current computer is a Gateway Solo 2500 manufactured in 1987, running Windows 98. The keyboard only about half works. I have Wal-Mart dial-up internet service for $9.94 a month. I live in very rural and hilly East Central Ohio (zip 43824) between Coshocton and New Philadelphia. My home is in a little valley. To get wireless from Coshocton, I’d have to build an 80 foot tower a quarter mile up the hill. If it makes any difference, when I had a cell phone before, I could get signals from New Philadelphia at my home, so maybe I could access wireless there.

I want a new notebook computer. I want to use it for internet research, graphics and publishing, web site development, perhaps a web store, watching DVDs, music, and genealogy. I need a touchpad and a wireless mouse. I’d like a large-ish screen, but a weight under 10 lbs, so I can occasionally take it to church or the library, were there are WiFi Hotspots. I want a printer and scanner. I am allowed to earn up to $800 a month without affecting my disability income.

At home I have one telephone line, and a DirecTV round satellite dish with one receiver box, which are controlled by the spouse.

I want access to BYU-TV, and I want to see it on my computer screen, not on an additional TV. If I could, I’d like to use my computer as an additional TV for use with the satellite dish, but it’s not really necessary. I know I’d have to get an oval dish and another receiver box.

And I need a new cell phone, without the camera and other frills, just maybe caller-ID and voicemail for when I’m not in the service area, a few hundred daytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend nationwide long distance and no roaming charges.

I am at a loss as to where to start…computer, phone, internet access, TV. Any help, advice, suggestions, etc, would be very welcome.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, what do you consider your budget? In particular, you have a LOT of flexibility when it comes to how much you spend on the laptop.

Additionally, what kind of ISPs are available in your rural area? Can you even get cable or DSL, or would you have to contract with DirectTV for satellite Internet if you went that route?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think maybe I can get DSL from SBC for $29.95. The $99.99 for Direcway is way out of line. The computer itself? When I go to Gateway and Dell to check them out, they end up around $2200, depending on what additions I make. I think I can afford that, considering that the only possibility I have for making any extra money would be if I had a better computer.

Some of the Amish people here have laptops and cell phones. They have internet access without land line phones, satellites, or cable.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Either one is a good machine. You might want to look at Apple, too. The've got some great graphics and web publishing tools available.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
DSL requires a minimum distance to work. If you live in the country I would suggest you research the availability (nearness) of your local phone company.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, for the uses you've listed, an iBook or Powerbook would be a good fit.

This is where I got my iBook, they always have some great deals (and no sales tax outside Vermont!):

http://www.smalldog.com/wag14376/

http://www.smalldog.com/wag14386/

http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x/Powerbooks+Ibooks/G3+Powerbook/G4+Powerbook/Powerbook/wag102/wag10002/

http://www.smalldog.com/wag14390/

[ May 29, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

What kind of distance? We can't even pay our bills in person because there's no phone company office near here. There are phone company buildings 6, 15, and 18 miles away.

Apples are very nice. But I switched to PC a long time ago and think I should stick to it. Part of my disability is random intermittent short-term memory loss. I still remember how to run a PC, but it might be hard to relearn to use a Mac.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link that talks about distance and the efficacy of dsl.

[ May 29, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't buy a Gateway. Seriously. You may as well set fire to a wad of $100 bills.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Well, altough this particular Gateway is still working after some rough treatment, I hesitate to get another one. Its monitor doesn't display photos correctly. The CD drive alternates whether it will read audio CDs or CD-ROMs. And the keyboard keys work intermittently.

I might consider spending extra for one of the ruggedized models.

What do you have, Tom? And what do you recommend?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Dell is my preference - been getting a new one every two years since '96 or so (because I could pass mine down to someone else, not because they were broken).

They have a wide spread of options for power/price/portability.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.