FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » International Relations/Alliances

Author Topic: International Relations/Alliances
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there has been several Interrnational Relations in the past, but they're all jumbled up in my mind. Can someone clarify who/why/when these were formed, as I do not feel like researching it myself:

League of Nations
NATO
Warsaw Pact
United Nations

[ May 30, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE doing other people's work for them.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The United Nations is not an alliance.

IIRC, the League of Nations was the same basic idea s the United Nations, but it never really got off the ground.

NATO and the Warsaw Pact were pretty much created to oppose each other during the cold war.

[ May 30, 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I LOVE doing other people's work for them.
Its not like its homework...just curiosity [Smile]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
The League of Nations was founded after WWI to avoid such a war ever happening again. However, Germany wasn't allowed in, and the USA decided not to join, so that put a stint in the idea of "talking instead of fighting". In fact, had Germany been allowed into the League of Nations, WWII may never have happened.

That's as much as I can remember about it, some of it may be wrong.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Warsaw Pact was a failed attempt to turn Poland into the world's capital.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
The League of Nations has a million times cooler name than the United Nations. League makes it sound like its from a comic book.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.