FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Question for Fellow Hatrack Editors :: [Resolved]

Author Topic: A Question for Fellow Hatrack Editors :: [Resolved]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Would "multi–award-winning" have an en dash or a hyphen between "multi" and "award"? Based on my perusal of Chicago 5.117 I said hyphen, but I wanted some more opinions.

Thanks!

[ June 02, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
wouldn't an en dash and hyphen be the same? You definitely don't want an em dash - that's for between separate words.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that the en dash is used to separate numerals and other non-word typographical elements.

Example: The play will run May 17endash35.

But you have a larger issue: multi-award-winning is completely silly.

Either stick to simply 'award-winning' (which often implies that more than one award has been won). Or use 'has won multiple awards.'

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
or go "multiple award-winning" because then you have a full word instead of something requiring additional punctuation.

aJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe the problem is that you're still using Chicago 14. In 7.90, part 3, of Chicago 15, it says that before an open compound, an en dash is used. For example, they give "non-self-sustaining" and "pre–Vietnam War." Any reader with two brain cells can figure out that it's "not self-sustaining," not "sustaining the non-self." Similarly, no one will think that someone won a multi-award. Go with the hyphen. Or revise it to get rid of the multiple hyphens.

[ June 02, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat me to it.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What would you use for the phrase "Grammar Geeks"?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

"What would you use for the phrase "Grammar Geeks"?"

An underscore. [Smile]

Zal, AJ, Jon, I agree that it's a clumsy formation. However, another writer asked me about it, so I'm not really able to rework it. I will suggest "multiple award-winning" to her (although is that even correct?).

Jon, you're right, I have the 14th edition. I haven't bothered to go get the 15th yet, although my manager has agreed to reimburse me for it.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What's the rest of the sentence?

And look on the bright side: at least you're not using Chicago 13 and Merriam-Webster 9 (which is what I had last summer).

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It's a bulleted list.

The item is now:

• Multiple award-winning firewall

Hmm.

I do have M-W 10th edition. My biggest problem is that I'm stuck with MS Word 98, which runs on OS 9, and I'm on OS 10.3. Talk about clunky. I'd rather have Chicago 13th edition than have to deal with this every day.

[ June 02, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually much worse in that format. As written now, I -- a casual tech reader -- immediately assume that you've clumsily attempted to say that there are multiple firewalls integrated into the product.

Go back to multi-award-winning. Or, God forbid, just win ONE award. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Yup, Tom, you're right. Actually typing it out makes it look pretty ugly. Hmm.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. I'm not so sure about "multiple award-winning." I think it might be more awkward and more likely to be misread than "multi-award-winning." And a quick Google search shows that people are about four times more likely to use "multi-award-winning" than "multiple award-winning."

So yeah, I think you should go back to "multi."

Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
How about:

• Vastly Acclaimed Firewall

I like that much better [Wink]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

[Big Grin]

• Much-Celebrated Firewall
• Industry-Darling Firewall

or even

• Suckers!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

• Award-winning firewall that won multiple awards
Hey, why are your bullets so small and svelt, whereas mine is a clunky monstrosity?

[ June 02, 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
• Supierorly Commented Upon Firewall

[The Wave]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
• test

Jon, it looks like the little ones are a special character, while the large bullets are created using the "list" function.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like

• award-winning software that didn't just win one award but actually several—multiple, if you will (as it were)—and is the darling of the industry

[ June 02, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Or this one:

• Nerd

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.