FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unexpected Advice

Author Topic: Unexpected Advice
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I was minding my own business fueling gasoline into the car. As I held the handle to continue the flow of oil, I was approached by a stranger who said something to the effect of:

"Excuse me sir, but I was observing you pump gas, and I noticed that after getting out of your car you didn't touch a piece of metal to get rid any static electricity that you may have. This is dangerous, as the electricity can transfer from your hand into your car and cause it to ignite."

I thanked the man for his helpful advice - even though I still don't follow it.

Has anyone else received any unexpected advice from strangers?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I can't remember anything in particular at the moment. More just me asking someone exactly how to fill up my tank in the first place. [Big Grin]

Turns out I'd figured out the whole buggered thing on my own except that you have to push up the holder for the gun-looking part. Who knew? [Dont Know]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember lots of unexpected and at times unwelcome advice from strangers when I was pregnant.

When we moved recently, the telephone guy advised me to homeschool my children, which I thought was kind of strange. I was like, you're the telephone guy, not my personal educational consultant!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone Manga
Member # 6579

- posted      Profile for Stone Manga   Email Stone Manga         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a girl who was riding a bus once, and was bummed out because of guy problems. She got even more bothered because some guy on the bus seemed to be staring at her, which she tends to get because she's good-looking (go figure). She saw him writing and then start to walk towards her and thought he was giving her his phone number. When he got off the bus and she read it, however, she read something along the lines of: "Don't let some guy make you that sad when he doesn't respect you like you deserve. You deserve more, and you know it, so don't let him control you like that. Try to cheer up and enjoy yourself, there's more fish in the sea." The guy was exactly right, and my friend ended up dumping the jerk. Odd story . . .
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother was once approached by a stanger and given advice on how to refinish the paint job on his car. To demonstrate the shiny luster his methods would bestow upon my brothers vehicle, the man bent down and licked the hood of his car.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time...

I was taking a class of sorts. It was one of the last days and the instructor had us filling out a class evaluation form. I approached the instructer, signed the form, and waited for him to take it. He did. And he looked at my survey and my signature and glanced up to say "Michael, are you a writer?"

I said, "no"...

*pause*

"I'm a biophysicist."

he glanced at my signature again and said, "are you sure?"

I waffled and he signed off. class dismissed.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'd been there for the original scene, my advice would have been, "Stop pumping oil into your gas tank!"
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
^ thanks MOM for an equisite nose ^
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
being pregnant always invites advice from strangers ... and uninvited tummy touches (ewww)

when I was pregnant with my first daughter, our landlord's brother advised that if it was a girl, it should be named after me - like Carol Jr. I think not!

I am guilty of offering unexpected advice to strangers, myself. I will mention to people at Walmart that Walmart matches prices and that item is $x.xx at another store. They just need to tell the cashier. When I was a cashier, I would say to the customer, "You said this item is $x.xx at this other store? Okay." That way they could get the price matched ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but if they just go to the other store instead, they won't be throwing away their jobs.

[ June 03, 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the person who goes up to these people with unwanted advice.

I can't help it. I love talking to strangers. I always have -- much to my mother's chagrin. I just find all people fascinating and want to talk to them, so I find things to say as an excuse to go talk to them.

Then once I get to know someone really really well, I get bored and want to move on to new people I haven't met yet.... (must be why my marriages failed)

So many people in the world...so little time....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well most cars these days are designed that your foot touches something to discharge the static electricity metal as you are getting back into the drivers side when you touch the running board.

Steve pumps my gas if he is in the car with me during the winter. This is because otherwise I start fuming at all of the stupid mommies in their SUV's that are endangering their children's lives by LEAVING THEIR VEHICLE RUNNING while pumping gas. They also get back in their cars when it is very clearly posted at most gas stations that you are to be out of your vehicle and in plain sight of the gas pump at all times. Getting in and out of a vehicle while pumping gas is the best way to build up static electricity too.

Grrrr this is a pet peeve of mine. Though so far I have actually refrained from giving my unsolicited advice regarding their stupidity. I just mentally sign them up for the Darwin awards. Caus not only will they wipe themselves out they will be wiping out their progeny at one fell swooop.

I did give some unsolicited advice in a bookstore the other day, but it was well recieved. I was able to point a guy with only a vague notion of what he wanted to the exact book he needed and he was tickled pink.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason he probably did it was because there was a story on the news about it. Someone thought that a cell phone caused an explosion at a gas station and the news report said they pretty much were sure it was more likely to have been static electricty.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Business/Gas_station_fires_hunter_040517-1.html

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto the pregnancy and baby advice. I have people ask me repeatedly if my kids are wearing sunscreen, if I brought a hat, and demands that I cover them up because it's "too cold". Nevermind that babies don't actually need much more clothing than adults; I still have people tell me to put a hat and jacket on my child when the rest of the world is wearing short sleeves.

I also give advice to people at random, because it helps me find kindred spirits. If I talk to someone at random and they smile nervously and shuffle away, then no dice. If they perk up and talk right back, then we become best pals. Maybe that's why all my friends are old ladies.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife had a stranger give her advice about our son. When Kristine told her that the advice was completely against what the pediatrician had said, the woman told her pediatricians don't know what they're talking about. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
People giving me advice = talking to people and trying to be pleasent when I don't know them.

That sounds like an unsolicited social engagment to me, and despite what I'm like on the forum, I tend to take forever before I talk freely in front of people. I fit the anti-social nerd profile much better in person. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.