FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Selling Son's Beloved Play Station 2 For Punishment!"

Author Topic: "Selling Son's Beloved Play Station 2 For Punishment!"
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm popping in from my self-imposed hiatus (due to moving and end-of-school craziness). I just couldn't resist sharing this. Finally, some parent somewhere is imposing consequences (Hatrack parents are excluded from that mini diatribe - I know y'all don't stand for the outrageous behavior I see parents brush off everyday).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107675670

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That auction had me laughing on many levels!

"Since when do bugels have slides?"

[Wink]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
::giggles:: That's great! I wish my younger brothers would be handled that way now and then - maybe they'd actually start behaving!

That and what on earth are 13 year olds doing with alcohol, etc? ::sighs:: [Frown]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
great punishment
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about that, too, Pixie. If I learned my 13 year old was drinking, I'd be far more concerned about it than the cost of the beer/wine! [Frown]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I only want to know one thing. What is she going to sell to recoup the other $54.50?

This is brilliant! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Did no one else experiment as a kid?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sure did, mack. And generally speaking, my parents ensured that I had to live with the consequences of my bad decisions.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, right. I'm with the consequences. I was just surprised at people being shocked at a 13 year old experimenting with alcohol.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah. Misunderstood. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I experimented (a bit - in a very nerdy and goody two shoes way) as a kid.

However my parents also allowed my little glasses of champagne (more like sips) on special occasions,and talked to me about different brands etc, so there's no way I would have drunk the 1995 Dom Perignon!

(Though why the parents where keeping it in the fridge if they were storing it I don't know)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Trumpets have tuning slides, but I don't think bugels do. Not a slide like a trombone, but a little piece of the tubing you can move to get in tune.

I still think the story's crap, but that part could be true.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about bugles myself, but people over at ATOT have looked into it, and some bugles do have slides (though the pics make it hard to figure out how it works).

bugle auction

Can anyone see if there is a slide on this bugle?

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
The auction description makes me sad. The kid's only 13, but she's already managed to make him lose all respect for her. And why not? She's stooped way down to his level for this.... you hurt me, I'll hurt you back, you little bastard!

They have 5 more wonderful years to look forward to before he can finally move out. If she interprets the weekend's events in terms of the monetary loss she's suffered, and decides that punishment means he must suffer an equal loss, then she's an idiot. Not that her grammatical choices would really lead you to believe otherwise.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, did anyone else read that she said the kid was 13 and was 6'3" tall?! [Eek!]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My middle son was 6'3" at age 13... (now he's 6'4")

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 6'3'' 13 year old.

I think these people have some real parenting issues...

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
another reason why I don't keep alcohol in my house...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that trumpets have a tuning slide, but I'm not sure that bugals do; I think so, but I'm not sure.

I think it is a good thing to sell his stuff to recoup the loss, but I wouldn't do it on e-bay. I would see it to someone he knows, so that he sees it all the time but can't have it at home.

Now that is torture...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if she's truly trying to recoup the loss, she should give him a time period to come up with the money himself rather than choosing which of his possessions to get rid of.

There's clearly an element of petty vengeance as well as ineffective parenting here. But at a visceral level, I like the idea of him losing his prized possession because of his actions.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that makes me a little suspicious of the story is the corkscrew. First of all, you don't use a corkscrew to open a bottle of champagne. Second, it is nigh impossible to reinsert a cork into a bottle of champaign once opened. Champagne corks are severely flared at the bottom, presumably to help maintain a grip in the bottle neck against the pressure from the champagne inside the bottle.

Now I wouldn't put it past some teenagers to try to open a bottle of champagne with a corkscrew, but the likely result of that is going to be a big mess and maybe a cork in the eye (if not the corkscrew itself).

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
True, Karl, not to mention the idea that this woman would have had a bottle of Dom at all. I mean, who on earth would give someone a $120 bottle of champagne if you thought the recipient would store it in the fridge?? With loser teenagers in the house, no less?

It doesn't quite add up. [Razz]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Unless they didn't undo the wire cage - that would be interestingly messy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but this just screams BS story to me. (hmm... I want to seel my PS2, how can I make it stand out above the hundreds of others?)And if it isn't than this lady has bigger problems than just her son acting up. She obviously has no idea how to raise a child if she''s more concerned about the cost of all this crap than the behavior behind it.

<-- Can't stand stupid parents when he sees the results everyday.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
It actually said there was a piece of cork stuck in the bottle.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
if my child lied, snuck around, and took things that weren't his i would probably have no problem selling his game system. it's a material posession, and a luxury.

eventually i would probably let him earn the money back by doing extra chores so he can buy a new one, but only if he proved that he learned something.

while i don't neccessarily agree with the lady's commentary, i am not disgusted by the punishment.

teenage boys are really difficult. a lot of them, anyway. especially when they are bigger than you are.

(i have five brothers and have witnessed the veritable Slaying of Dragons on a daily basis.)

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
This story seems very made up to me too.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this story is a load of crap.

However, if it was true, and as a video game-obsessed teenage boy, I think it was a very just punishment.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... It can be hard getting through to kids that age...
However, I am reminded of the worse way to punish me: Take away my music. You could beat me with sticks, I don't care... But take my music from me.
Dang, I am glad I am an adult. My former stepmother used to take my walkman from me for the slightest small infraction.
It was the worse thing... No music... Torture. [Cry]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
That was hilarious. God help if mom took away my GCN....
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
It is actually illegal to sell something that belongs to someone else without that person's permission.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens. That was ridiculous.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
unless you are a parent and you bought said thing for the minor under your care.

incidentally, my little brother has a friend who bought all his own game systems, and when his parents were getting divorced his very abusive father stole all his game systems, and the boy charged his dad with grand larceny [Smile]
served him right.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You know - Nathan gets lots of logical consequences for things . . . and some pretty smooth bribes.

This logical consequence had them rolling in the dentist's office:

Nathan handles the co-pays for any fillings he needs -this was mandated six months ago after his "I don't care" attitude towards teethbrushing.

This bribe has me rolling (becuase of his reaction):

He wants a gameboy (he's 10 1/2) for about the last four years. We do extremely little media in our home and no electronic gamnes except for our quarterly visit to the pizza parlor with Donkey Kong. I told him I'd buy him a gameboy once he memorized his multiplication tables, 0-12. Was he happy? Nope. He was rather upest. However, he's slowly memorizing them . . . [Evil]

These are the days when I love being a parent (for purely selfish reasons)

So - whaddya think of that, Mrs. M? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My teenage opinion...

I think that this, instead of being a punishment which will end the rest of bad-doings, is going to start this boy on a long, terrible decline into more rebellion. The kid obviously had issues to begin with, now he has a reason to disrespect whatever his mother says.

It's unrelated to the actual problem, and therefore the punishment does not fit the crime. She should have made her son do other chores in order to make up for the money lost, instead of selling his prized possession.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I would much rather give up my Xbox instead of being in debt with my parents. They're so bossy when I HAVE to help them. So when I owe them money, I would rather put it on my credit card instead of owe them work.

Sad that I would rather be in debt to my credit card company than my parents.... [Dont Know]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm against having kid's do chores to earn money to repay debts.

First, kids shouldn't get paid for chores. Chores are a contribution to the household each family member should make.

Second, setting the net worth of a chore seems too difficult to do fairly. Imagine if a judge ordered someone to pay $100 in restitution, but said only money made picking up trash off the streets could be used?

This kid, assuming the story is true (which I don't), needs to pay back the items he destroyed. He also needs to be punished - restitution is not punishment.

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.