FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I beseech thee! (Help out my friend's PhD psych dissertation)

Author Topic: I beseech thee! (Help out my friend's PhD psych dissertation)
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a friend. He has an experiment online for his (social) psych dissertation. It takes 10-15 minutes. He would like lots of people to take it.

Any takers?

http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/~rutchick/experiment.html

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried, but it's not working correctly. I read down to the bees, and after I pushed continue it took me to a blank page. I pushed continue again, and I was in the 2 part of the questions.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

That's correct behavior, the survey software is working properly. Also, if you read his intro instructions, it says you may have to click on continue twice.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah...ok. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Took it. Will we get to know the results and/or read the paper at some point?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
On my mac running MS Explorer, I only got image Icons for the "what best represents the group" page. Hope that is useful while not skewing future responses.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

It'll probably skew it, but if enough people take it, that shouldn't matter.

As to seeing the results; if you do, it may not be for a eyar or more. I assume his dissertation will get published somewhere (don't all dissertations get published?), and if I can get a copy, I'll see if I can provide it to everyone here. That said, I honestly don't know if you'll get anything but his thanks.

-Bok

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's where you're supposed to be.

That's how it was for me, and I continued on. between each section was the blank page where I had to hit "continue" twice before continuing

Farmgirl
edit: this was directed to Space Opera, because I hadn't refreshed my page to see all the replies in between

[ June 04, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

pooka, did you get actual images, or image icon placeholders (like bad or missing images icons)

If you got actual images, I believe that is as intended (I got them).

-Bok

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried but gave up cause it is taking so long for the page to totally load. Considering I'm wearing my UCSB sweatshirt from my brother today though I thought I'd try.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Maybe Hatrack is bringing the psych server down to a crawl? I bet it doesn't usually get a lot of traffic.

-Bok

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the little placeholder multichromatic polygons. I recognized them from my own busted-@$$ website. I'll try later on my Windows machine.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I got through it okay -- but I really didn't like the survey much. I kept thinking "not enough information!" The descriptive paragraphs about each 'group' weren't really enough to form an opinion enough to answer the other questions.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I think the point of the test is to get results based on people's biases/instincts, not a fully formed rationalization. If he gave you complete info, that would tilt everyone the same way, I bet.

-Bok

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if said friend can get me into a phd program. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Eh.
quote:
Now, you?ll be learning about a second group.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Phanto, what is the problem? He explains in the instructions that there are 3 groups you will answer questions about.

mack, First he needs to get a PhD [Smile]

-Bok

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That survey is not meant for people with short attention spans.

Also...how is he going to account for his demographic?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

The color thing is part of his control process, I believe.

-Bok

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bok,
I tend to be asked not to participate in psych experiments. Is this one that my knowledge of the field isn't going to screw up? If so, I'll do it, but I don't want to give a bad data point.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

How much social psych do you know? This is pretty esoteric, and he doesn't hide anything about what he's doing, really.

-Bok

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate the mousetrap thing. It's very poorly reproduced on the screen, all fuzzy.

Plus, it's just making me feel dumb.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm sorry. I'm a bad data point. [Frown]
Bokonon
Member # 480

yeah, the pictures thing I had trouble with.

-Bok

Bokonon
Member # 480

mack, how are you a bad data point?

-Bok

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok,
I'm pretty much an expert. I don't know what exactly he's getting at, but one of my main concentrations is group dynamics. Oh, and I've read the Journal of Social and Personality Psychology cover to cover back to the early 80s. I think I'll refrain, but tell him that I wish him my best.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I got bored and frustrated and closet out the window. >_<
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* So did I. I wanted to rewrite the questions to make them more clear.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I just talked to my friend (he called me randomly), and he says that if you have questions/concerns/suggestions, to PLEASE email him (his email address is on the first page). If he gets consist info back, he may revise the test.

But part of the reason for the lack of complete information is to avoid biasing the subjects.

-Bok

katharina
Member # 827

I don't mean missing information. I mean the structure of the questions.

I'm sorry. Blame the English majors. More specifically, print out the questions and take it to whatever tech writing program you have at the school and pay some senior forty bucks to go over it and rewrite the questions.

This isn't questioning anyone's intelligence or literacy, just so you know. But the questions are a bit confusing, and it could be helpful to have someone who is not familiar with the jargon and language of the field to rewrite the questions for a general audience.

[ June 04, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

kat, I think the question are more deliberately worded than you think.

-Bok

EDIT: But in any case, email my friend what you just wrote, he wants to know that sort of stuff.

[ June 04, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

katharina
Member # 827

Okay.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.