FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter no-spoiler review Thread

Author Topic: Harry Potter no-spoiler review Thread
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still thinking "I want to go to see Hogwarts, to see where they filmed it, it's such a beautiful building and landscape." and then kicking myself: It's not real. (That makes me cry)

Maybe not, but it feels like it is. Alfonso Cuoron did what Chris Columbus, for whatever reason, couldn't. Compared to 3, Harry Potters 1 and 2 look like fascile, half-hearted cartoons. Half of Columbus' ignorence was definately ordinary lack of Englandness. Cuoron is not English, of course, but he managed to capture some of the quirky Englishness that is so intrinsicly a part of Harry Potter.

People have been saying it's not funny; it's actually funnier than ever. Have a sense of humour and you'll laugh.

All the old actors are back, better than before, notably Fred and George Weasly (The Phelps brothers), who definately need more screentime. The new actors, playing Trelawny, Lupin, Pettigrew, Fudge, Black, Dumbledore etc. are fabulous. Each is so... there, so natural. My personal favourite was Lupin (David Thewlis), he was exactly how Lupin should be. I want a teacher like that.

There is more grime, more detail, more hidden mystery, more things that capture your imagination and send it flying across the planet. Hogwarts and the Magical World has become a place of real dreams, where life is both idyllic and horrible.

This isn't to say the movie is perfect; it has moments where you are taken aback at what you see. There are things that could and should have been explained (the time was there, the scenes in which explanation should have come were there) but perhaps the scenes were cut; the movie is almost two and a half hours long.

I want the extended edition [Wink] .

But, unlike Columbus' Harry Potters, there is nothing wrong throughout, there is nothing that doesn't quite click that stays there, bothering you all the way through.

Most importantly, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban does the books justice. It isn't the books, but it does them justice.

I hope the only way to go from here is up, because there is still so very much to do.

8.5/10 (I give Harry Potter 1 and 2 a 5/10)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sobenz
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Sobenz   Email Sobenz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with pretty much everything you said. The only real flaw I can think of, is that there really isn't a lot of explanation for people who haven't read the book. A lot of backhistory is left out. The biggest, IMO, is the Marauder's Map and the history behind Wormtail, Moony, Padfoot, and Prongs. Rather than explaining who the four are, the movie just leaves you thinking "Wha...?"

And it makes the ending so much better when you know...

But besides that, it was good.

Are you sure it was 2 and a half hours? It didn't seem quite that long to me. I've also read it was only "just over" 2 hours...

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review, Teshi! I would add my own review, but you said everything I wanted to say and did a better job of it to boot.

quote:
I'm still thinking "I want to go to see Hogwarts, to see where they filmed it, it's such a beautiful building and landscape." and then kicking myself: It's not real. (That makes me cry)
Hogwarts isn't real, I know. What a shame! But the landscape, the beautiful Scottish Highlands where they filmed the Hogwarts scenes, is all very, very real. I got a chance to visit the Highlands in March, and this movie reminded me why I want to go back.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Without giving any spoilers, because as you can see, this is a spoilers-free Thread...

I agree. There was a tiny line that would have made all the difference, and they didn't say it. It could have been as small as three words, and it would have left you gaping, but they chose not to say it.

Why... I don't know.

Edited to add: I know Yorkshire- less dramatic, but similar. I love that land, but there's something about a huge beautiful castle there that makes it just so heartbreakingly wonderful.

[ June 04, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the flying scenes... The look of the building they used. It looked like some gorgeous gothic cathedral.
Saw it today and loved it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was filmed in Scotland. [Smile] I LOVED the landscapes and the realism.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.