FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Longest Day...

Author Topic: The Longest Day...
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Fourteen hours. Three-hundred plus customers. Five new trainees. One computer crash. No break.

On the bright side, it could have been much worse...

And now -- [Sleep]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
you're studliness leaves wakes of fear rippling through future challenges, godric.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep is good. Yes indeedee. [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't there regulations that say you should have gotten a break? People that are employed at the company I work at have been getting 500 dollar settlements from a class action suit because of this.
Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many longer days ahead for most of us.

My longest day? Twenty four-plus hours. I wrote a new program to control a herd of robot vehicles that deliver huge rolls of newsprint to the printing presses of a large newspaper company in New York. The program wasn't perfect, and I had to stay and baby-sit the robots until all the kinks were worked out. You cannot stop the presses, and the presses cannot run out of paper. The union boys have murder in their hearts for anyone who upsets the fine balance. The good news is that beyond twenty four hours, you stop counting the hours because your mind is gone, and to be murdered becomes a comforting thought.

There are folks who pull 24-hour stints all the time, sometimes with lives on the line. It’s just a part of life that makes you appreciate down-time, when it finally comes, even more.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
At one of my earliest jobs, 31hours straight. Machinery broke down nearing my quitting time, and I was pressganged as a replacement machine. It took awhile before anybody asked how many hours I'd been working.

[ June 06, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was about 25 1/2, but at least there was a lunch break in there somewhere. At 3:30 on a Friday afternoon [Mad] , I started getting errors that datafiles for one of my databases was missing. Of course, the company wasn't taking regular backups, but were at least exporting the data nightly. Long story short, we were able to recover, but not until 10:30 Saturday morning.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys are cool -- or maybe just work-a-holics. [Smile]

And yes, I could have taken a break, but I didn't voluntarily because my crew had less than a week's experience combined and I didn't really need one. My boss is giving me a nice bonus as well, as I also had to work all day (13 hours) Sunday.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I hate to burst your bubble(s), but the longest day is still two weeks ahead of us.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*rim-shot*
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.