FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love sushi! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I love sushi!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I love sushi!
Yes I do!
Sushi sushi in my stew!
Give me sushi every day
I'll use my credit card to pay!

[Big Grin]

I had a GREAT sushi dinner with Sarah, an old college friend of mine, yesterday. SUSHI ROCKS!!
OH yum... I think I want some more today!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
With or without wasabi?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm.... Sushi... *drools*
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
With of course! [Cool]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
What's better sushi or sushimi?
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Sushimi.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Mmmmm...trout...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I do too! There's this great sushi restaurant just North of Dallas that has the only sushi I've ever loved. I haven't been to it in ages.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge "sushimi" is not a word.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Recipe for Sushi Rice:

• Steamed rice
  • 6 T vinegar
  • 6 T sugar
  • 1 T salt
  • 1 tsp. MSG
Cook rice. Cook sauce over heat to dissolve sugar and salt. When cool add sauce to rice which has been taken out of pot and put into another container, preferably enamel or wooden because of the acid content of the vinegar. Stir in sauce, mix lightly and fan to cool. This method gives the gloss to the rice and the vinegar flavor will penetrate the rice.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

saxon

it is a real word(if i'm spelling it right)
sushimi is raw fish
sushi isn't

[ June 09, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

sAshimi
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm Hamachi....
*drools*

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Telp, that definitely belongs in the "Orginal Potry" thread.

We got to fly first class once on a fluke. We were served sashimi. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

For sushi rice it's important to wash and then soak the rice first. You soak the rice for about an hour or so before cooking, which causes it to absorb a lot of the liquid, but make sure not to add more water before cooking. You can also skip the MSG, and I like to add a little sake or mirin (although if I use mirin, I don't use sugar).
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

ah

thankyou, skillery, that sounds right
sashimi, not sushimi

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Hat]
hasdy
Member # 5905

- posted      Profile for hasdy   Email hasdy         Edit/Delete Post 
lobster sashimi...... surprisingly deeeelicious!

(good texture..... not like prawn (ebi) sashimi which I was expecting it to be like)

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Gumby,

What skillery said.

Sushi is a broad category of food. It includes sashimi, nigirizushi, makizuski, temaki, inarizushi, and chirashi, among other things.

Sashimi is slices of raw fish. [Edit: Actually, some sashimi--octopus, for example--is cooked.]

Nigirizushi is slices of fish (raw or cooked), fish roe, or omelette on top of a little ball of rice. (Nigiri means "rice ball".)

Makizushi is rolled sushi. It can include a variety of ingredients, and is typically rolled in nori (seaweed) or rice paper. Some maki do not include rice, and I have also seen maki that are rolled in cucumber.

Temaki are handrolls. Like a maki but cone shaped and meant to be eaten with your fingers. Sometimes they are wrapped in lettuce instead of nori.

Inarizushi are little seasoned tofu pockets with rice inside. Sometimes people put other stuff in the rice, such as mushrooms, peas, corn, or dried fish flakes.

Chirashi is pressed sushi. It usually comes in a bowl or a little box. It consists of seasoned rice that is pressed a bit to give it a flat top, over which slices of fish are placed.

[ June 09, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Gosh, now I'm quite hungry. Good thing it's lunch time.
hasdy
Member # 5905

umm...yah..... what sax said! [Smile]
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Makizushi: A simple tuna roll with flying fish roe garnish.

My favorite Nigiri: I love tuna again, but I might have to go with eel here.

Finally: I like prawn sashimi. What do you not like about it, hasdy?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the hamachi appreciation. My other favorites are saba, sake (salmon), and unagi. Not a big tuna fan, though. Mmm...

*drools*

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Eel rolls are the best. One of the cool things about moving to NJ is that now I can buy sushi from a little stall inside the grocery store.

When I worked until 11 pm, I would stop at the grocery store and pick up a little container of sushi for half price. Then I would go home and sit on my back porch and listen to the frogs singing and look up at the stars and eat sushi.

As soon as I open the container, both of my dogs suddenly appear next to me. They look up at me pleadingly and drool.

They want wasabi. I give them each a dab of green paste, and they lick it off my fingers. It makes their noses run a little, but they love it anyway. (They also are fond of the pickled ginger slices. I think they enjoy the olfactory overload.)

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

oooo.. the hot sake is calling my name!!
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves sushi*

*loves wasabi*

*loves unagi above all others*

saxon might say i have a wasabi problem...Yozhik might enjoy an afternoon at a sushi bar with me.

[ June 09, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Why might I say that?
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if the entire bottom of the roll isn't green, then what's the point?

My wife does the thing when you mix the wasabi into the soy sauce, but I do the paint the sushi with wasabi, dip [briefly -- don't want it all to come off, but you need some soy sauce saturation] and stuff [the mouth]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Recipe for Barazushi (the filling for inari sushi, my favorite):

Carrot-type:
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 2 T sugar
  • 3 T water
  • 1 T shoyu (soy sauce)
String bean-type:
  • 15 string beans
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 T water
  • 1/4 t salt
Mushroom or shiitake-type:
  • 8 medium dried shiitake (soaked in water for about 1 hour) or fresh mushrooms (dried is preferred)
  • 4 T water
  • 1 T shoyu
  • 3 T sugar
Barazushi can be made by adding carrots, string beans, mushrooms, etc. to sushi rice.
CARROTS:

Cut carrots into small thin pieces. Add remaining ingredients and cook at high heat until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring constantly.

STRING BEANS:

Cut string beans diagonally into very thin strips. Add remaining ingredients and cook at high heat until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring constantly.

MUSHROOMS or SHIITAKE:

Cut soaked shiitake into small and very thin pieces. Add the remaining ingredients and cook in moderate heat for 10 minutes. Then increase heat and cook, while stirring constantly, until all the liquid has evaporated.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i think what you said was that i was "one of those people," saxy.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Recipe for Inari Sushi:

• barazushi
  • 4 pieces aburage (fried bean curd pockets from asian market)
  • 4 T water
  • 3 T sugar
  • 1/3 t salt
  • 1/3 t shoyu
Pour hot water over aburage, drain, cut in half, and take out the inner soft white part and cook 10 minutes in the water, sugar, salt, shoyu mixture.
Cool. Stuff aburage with the barazushi.

saxon75
Member # 4589

Well, you are one of those people, celia. Wasabi is meant to be a seasoning, not a test.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sushi sushi in my stew!
This didn't bother anyone else?

Anyway, my sweetie loves sashimi. I generally can't stand it, but like Katsu OK so we can go to most sushi places.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hasdy
Member # 5905

zalmoxis - ...... prawn nigiri is good..... but prawn sashimi .... is not so good. When it's served as nigiri, it's usually steamed, but sashimi is usually raw..... and the texture is just too soft and slimey.

But of course that's just my opinion.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Rainbow role on it's way!! yahoooo!!!
*drools disgustingly*

skillery
Member # 6209

Rainbow roll? What the heck is that?

Do they wrap one of those bumper stickers around a California roll?

saxon75
Member # 4589

A rainbow roll is typically a California roll that has sashimi (usually salmon, yellowtail, tuna, and avocado) draped over the top.
skillery
Member # 6209

Anyone ever had barazushi with the itty bitty fishes scattered throughout...with the little eyes looking up at you? Ugh!
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody assumes my reason for not liking sushi is the raw fish. Actually, that doesn't bother me much.

I can't get seaweed into my mouth. My gag reflex is too strong. So I think I might like sashimi, because if I understand correctly, it doesn't have seaweed. But the sushi place we occasionally go to has detailed description of all the seaweed bearing sushi, but only vague names for sashimi, and I don't want to dish out money for stuff with no idea if I like the ingredients or not.

I would enjoy going out for sashimi with somebody knowledgeable enough to steer me toward stuff I would like.

I don't much care for wasabi, but again, it's not the spiciness (sp?). It's this herby aftertaste I don't quite like. I generally like spicy food. I once had a wasabi sorbet with shrimp, and that was fantastic.

(Say, it it possible to mix cultures and get sashimi with, say, coctail sauce?)

[ June 09, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*finishes off last of her California roll*

Mmmmmmmm. But hold the wasabi and pickled ginger. bleh!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Ic, most nigirizushi also does not use seaweed. I have to say, though, that I find your aversion to nori a little amusing. When I was a kid, my little brother and I would eat it like candy.
skillery
Member # 6209

More like jerky, ne?

Pickled ginger: mmmm!

saxon75
Member # 4589

No, not really. More like potato chips if I have to be the most accurate. We didn't eat the sushi nori, which is a little tougher and more flexible. Whenever my mom would get a box of teriyaki nori strips--which are more crispy and crumbly--they'd be gone in a day or two.
rivka
Member # 4859

We like the nori-covered rice crackers. *drools*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me hungry.

Mmmmmm, I love sushi, sashimi and all those variations. I would eat it every day if it weren't so darned expensive.

I eat it with wasabi and pickled ginger, and usually finish every last stray piece of pickled ginger that everyone else leaves behind.

I love ginger in any form. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Yeah we like those, too. The package always says "arare," but we always call them "osembe."

Edit: That was to rivka. I think pickled ginger tastes like soap.

[ June 09, 2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Some people have no taste, saxy. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend tried to teach me to roll my own makizushi. I put too much rice in and it fell apart, but it still tasted good! (I don't eat seafood, though, so mine just had vegetables inside.)
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

saxy, agreed on the pickled ginger! As I said above, bleh! As far as the rice crackers I get, they're assorted, some with seaweed and some not. I get them whenever TJs or Erewhon has the kosher ones. They haven't for a while . . . [Frown]

Ela! [Eek!] When did you taste saxy?

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I like pickled ginger or not. I like ginger in general, though. Especially ginger dressing on salad.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.