FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Smart people and reproduction. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Smart people and reproduction.
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/30/1064819910696.html?from=storyrhs

Note: Genesis 1:28 was never revoked. Anyone who reads the Bible can see that it is incredibly pro-natalistic. Up until recent times the Christian church in general held to the standard that family limitation was wrong. That only changed as Christians became more world based. So what do you think of the Danish psychology professor's statements? Should we encourage brighter people to have bigger families?

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we should also engage actively in selective breeding.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
This all goes back to my idea of having the air ducts in WalMart emit a chemical that causes sterility.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Jebus202, the official policy of the Supreme Court seems to imply this. Negaive eugenics is not what I am saying, though.

[ June 09, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: michaele8 ]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if that wouldn't lead to diminished mental capacity. There is an old saying about wasting your brain cells by indulging in too much procreation.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
The issue here isn't whether smart people should have more children - it's whether or not we give any credence to eugenics and the idea that some people are genetically superior to others.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

If you were sterile, and your wife wanted a baby, you know you would pick the brightest, healthiest sperm doner at the fertility clinic.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
not necessarily. What if the smartest person also had the most potential for insanity?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
As is generally the case [Wink]
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. Even if we could prove conclusively that intelligence was entirely due to having intelligent child-raisers (not necessarily gene-donors), the argument would carry the same strength.

(edit: this was to Professor)

[ June 09, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess that since I'm a liberal (and obviously not very bright), I ought to refrain from all the X-treme, Non-Stop Action(tm) I've been getting with my immoral ways, eh, michael?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
There are more issues at play than at first glance. Would a society of universally raised IQs be happier? Until we have robots to clean the toilets, probably not. Of course, I'm speaking more universally now, since if only Denmark adopted this policy they could easily import foreign labor as needed.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Michele, the majority of positive traits are a trade-off. For the good, there is usually bad to go along with it, and vice versa. It's not hard to imagine a me who developed his body and ignored his mind because that me didn't have the physical problems I was born with.

As for your other argument, I can only suggest that it lacks more than a superficial understanding of the Bible. Genesis 1:28, whether or not it has been repealed, has certainly been fulfilled--the earth is full to overflowing. Moreover, many passages require that people take care of their children, and for an awful lot of people that involves limiting how many they have. (I couldn't take care of any on my income.)

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend once pointed out that the commandment was to replenish, not plenish, the earth. [Razz] That means two.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

The Hebrew word male' (Strong's 04390) pretty clearly implies "fill."
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I knew it was a specious copout.

Still funny.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
He says that intelligence is hereditary, but that is only partly true. A whole lot of other factors influence intelligence, including pre-natal care/nutrition, how attentive and loving the parents are, the type of stimulation provided by the surrounding environment, nutrition, environmental hazards such as lead or other toxins, and on and on and on. It's perfectly possible for average parents to produce very bright children, and the other way around.

So I think he's working from a false premise. Besides, Denmark already has a low birth rate; if he starts trying to get the most prolific people to stop having children, it will drop like a rock. I'm not sure how possible it is to encourage people to have more children when they've already decided that two is more than enough.

And that's not even getting into the whole question of rights.

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes.

Fifteen minutes, mack.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Till?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*sets watch* From now. A whole fifteen minutes.
Frisco
Member # 3765

I assume she's telling you to read your scriptures.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

She's telling me I have to be nice to her for fifteen minutes straight.

Taalcon and I have a much more...scathing...sense of humor than Katie, so she felt ganged up on a bit.

So she's telling me to be nice.

*mutter*

katharina
Member # 827

There are other versions of that story. I'd like to point out that the scathing humor was never turned on themselves.

*taps her watch*

[ June 09, 2004, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Frisco
Member # 3765

I think this sort of thing is what skillery was commenting on in his thread.

[Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Don't worry, Frisco - there's plenty nonniceness for everyone.
mackillian
Member # 586

REALLY?!

I'm apparently IN on it and it took me awhile to figure it out. o_O

...and it WAS, Katie! I'm quite self deprecating.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone else whose sense of humor tends toward the self-deprecating, let me point out that self-directed humor feels VERY different than that coming from someone else. Even if it's the same comment!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

This is just not necessary.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
(If only Richard Berg would notice me. [Frown] )
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that the people in industrialized nations who are having two or three children may be doing as much to "fill the earth" as those who gave birth to ten a couple centuries ago. These days, I'd guess that a huge percentage of children born survive to adulthood, whereas the percentage used to be far lower.

Also, I disagree with the idea that limiting families is more "worldly." Having children right and left that you can't provide for physically or emotionally is far more against religious morals than birth control, in my opinion. In fact, I think that for those who are not secure financially or who simply can't give children the love and attention they need, not reproducing is a responsible and unselfish course of action.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

Ralphie, you have to actually post in the thread in order to get noticed. I know we've been working on that telekinesis thing but I'm still kind of rusty, go easy on me, k?
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I was reading an article earlier, and this line stuck me as something that would fit in here...

quote:
"I used a 20-pound brick of uranium as a doorstop in my office," American nuclear physicist Peter D. Zimmerman, of King's College in London, said to illustrate the point.
Not this point he's illustrating, but it fits. The actual article, which is a complete derail of this thread, is here.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know we've been working on that telekinesis thing but I'm still kind of rusty, go easy on me, k?
Telekinesis? So she's moving an object with her mind and you're supposed to feel it or something? No, wait, nevermind...I really don't want to know...
[Monkeys]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember those times you felt a tap on your shoulder, quickly turned around, and found no one there?
Remember how you useta blame the friend standing next to you but on the side opposite of the shoulder on which you were tapped?

You were wrong. It was Ralphie practicing telekinesis.

Now don't you feel silly blaming your friends? Isn't it about time you apologise?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Shigosei states,

"I'd just like to point out that the people in industrialized nations who are having two or three children may be doing as much to "fill the earth" as those who gave birth to ten a couple centuries ago. These days, I'd guess that a huge percentage of children born survive to adulthood, whereas the percentage used to be far lower.

Also, I disagree with the idea that limiting families is more "worldly." Having children right and left that you can't provide for physically or emotionally is far more against religious morals than birth control, in my opinion. In fact, I think that for those who are not secure financially or who simply can't give children the love and attention they need, not reproducing is a responsible and unselfish course of action."

1) There is NO industrialized nation in which the birthrate is between 2 and 3 children -- the average is between 1 and 2 children and that will lead to a host of economic and social problems in the future -- not to mention extinction.

2) Even in the days of the Revolutionary War the vast majority of children made it to adulthood -- you might have 2 or 3 out of 10 or 11 die of cholera or some other disease. Just like in Africa today the average birthrate may be 7 children in many places, and there may be a high mortality rate due to disease or warfare, but most children survive.

3) Why do population reductionists always paint the picture as having 2 children is some sort of Utopian ideal but 4 or more automatically equals trailer park poverty? I have not seen too much of that in Utah -- actually, most people there have more than the US average of kids and live a middle class or upper middle class lifestyle. If they can do it so can the US and Europe in general.

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
not to mention extinction.
A LOT of generations would have to go by before that would become a danger ... and I think we'd wise up well beforehand [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is NO industrialized nation in which the birthrate is between 2 and 3 children
Brazil - 2.01 children per woman
Argentina - 2.28 children per woman
South Africa - 2.24 children per woman
Egypt - 3.02 children per woman
Mexico - 2.53 children per woman
Turkey - 2.03 children per woman
Jamaica - 2.01 children per woman

There are probably more, but I didn't feel like going through the CIA world factbook any longer.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The USA is at 2.something as well, if I recall.

But maybe because of all the darned liberals we have, we're just some savage backwater nation?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, michael, take an anthropology class. Or take -some- sort of class on population dynamics.

First a reproduction rate of around 2 children for every pair of monogomous parents is clearly not going to decrease the world population. Next, the world doesn't need more people, the human popluation rises at an exponential rate. It's referred to as a "J" curve. What happens with exponential growth? There is an explosion of growth, until the population grows so large, that it's habitat can't support it. Then there is wide-spread famine and death as the population fights over the avaliable resources.

Humans have the interesting knack that they can squeeze a habitat harder, so to speak, and thus get more bang for the buck, in the short term (and possibly the long term). The problem is, if the squeezing actually makes the habitat less habitable (i.e. you're clear cutting your habitat), and thus less able to support more life.

it can go either way, but increasing the worlds population isn't going to foster anything but more people to fight over limited resources in a world thats already extremely crowded.

Will the exponential population growth outpace our ability to produce resources more efficently? Only time will tell. But i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i think most population grown is logistic, we just haven't gotten past the inflection point. come to think of it, i vaguely remember hearing something about how the rate of population growth is decreasing

here is is
quote:
The rate of Earth's population growth is slowing down. Throughout the 1960s, the world's population was growing at a rate of about 2% per year. By 1990, that rate was down to 1.5%, and by the year 2015, it's expected to drop to 1%. Family planning initiatives, an aging population, and the effects of diseases such as AIDS are some of the factors behind this rate decrease.

so i guess we've just passed the inflection point...
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

i would like to second the request for michael to take an anthropology class though, might give you some perspective; i know my first cultural anthropology class really changed how i saw the world.

teaches you nifty things like the fact that in some cultures there are more than two genders, and that the words gender and sex have very different meanings. (brought this up in reference to a parallel quasi-discussion of homosexuality)

edit: some, not nec. many

[ June 11, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: kerinin ]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
even though the rate of growth (the first derivative) is slowing down, it still means that overall it is growing. An inflection point is actually where the 2nd deriviative (rate of acceleration) changes

Life is all about calculus.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

i realized that after i posted but was too lazy to change...

thanks for the correction [Wink]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any links, but I remember reading that over and over, in culture after culture, as the standard of living goes up, the birth rate goes down.

Causes? I don't know. Perhaps it's just that the opportunity cost is higher.

quote:
I have not seen too much of that in Utah -- actually, most people there have more than the US average of kids and live a middle class or upper middle class lifestyle. If they can do it so can the US and Europe in general.
Actually, from what I can see out here, a lot of people don't do a great job of it out here. There are a *LOT* of Utahns that are in serious debt. We are near the top of the nation when it comes to bankrupcy.

My opinion is that one of the reasons is that too many people want to "do what's right" by having large families, but they don't want to give up the nice house, nice cars, nice toys, etc..

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Pod, I have read Malthus as well as the discredited book "The Population Bomb". Strange, the UN has warned about Europe's low birthrates, Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan has warned of labor shortages in the next generation for the USA, and leaders in Japan, Russia, Sweden Estonia, Spain...etc. have warned about the current rate of births being too low in their countries.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3) Why do population reductionists always paint the picture as having 2 children is some sort of Utopian ideal but 4 or more automatically equals trailer park poverty? I have not seen too much of that in Utah -- actually, most people there have more than the US average of kids and live a middle class or upper middle class lifestyle. If they can do it so can the US and Europe in general.
Micaele, I don't know where you got this idea. Certainly no one here has posted that they have a problem with larger families. In fact, my dad has three siblings, and I certainly don't consider them some sort of trailer-park family. I think that most of us are arguing against the anti-birth control ideals rather than against large families.

Also, this article states that the world population growth was essentially zero until the Industrial Revolution. I can't be certain if the lower death rate they speak of applied mostly to children or to everyone equally, but my point still stands: we don't need every couple to have ten children to keep the population stable. We need an average of a little over two per couple since most of them will survive.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering on another note...
The bible is full of commandments that most christians do not keep. What made them decide to keep this one? Its not an attack, i swear! I just never understood why they do some stuff, and not other stuff. Didnt jesus nullify the old testament or something?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

Armuth, actually I agreewith you. I believe the Bible is against homosexual relations yet divorce is condemned many more times than homosexuality. I don't support same sex marriage but I believe no-fault divorce (embraced by many devout Christians) is a greater threat to the family than two guys getting "married". There are other examples as well.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.