FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shrek 2 & the Transsexual Agenda

Author Topic: Shrek 2 & the Transsexual Agenda
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
<queue ominous music>
Parents Beware: 'Shrek 2' Features Transgenderism And Crossdressing Themes

quote:
TVC's report, "A Gender Identity Disorder Goes Mainstream," explains the transgender agenda and the effort to deconstruct the biological reality of male and female. DreamWorks is helping in this effort by promoting cross dressing and transgenderism in this animated film.
[Roll Eyes]

OH, and [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I thought it was just a really, really ugly stepsister.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Untreated OCD is a terrible tragedy. I remember when I was worried what message "Larry the Cucumber" was really sending. And don't get me started on "Bananas in Pajamas".

P.S. I'm not kidding, I really had these thoughts.

[ June 10, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: skrika03 ]

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

Wonder what they think of Milton Berle, Bugs Bunny, and other cross-dressers from a different (and presumably less decadent) decade?

Edit to add: Not to mention "Some Like it Hot" with its hysterical ending.

[ June 10, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
Member # 6609

- posted      Profile for Theresa   Email Theresa         Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S A CARTOON!!!! GET OVER IT! Geesh. People can be so uptight. It's funny to see a wolf in women's pj's, or Pinocchio wearing a Thong...or was it a G-string.

Anyway, it's just humor and cartoon characters. It is really that bad, or would people prefer to have their children see the transvestite hookers on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood? Eesh. We are the most uptight society. Live a little and LAUGH!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all part of Dreamworks' plan to take over the world [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Theresa, I'm pretty sure KarlEd is mocking the people who are concerned. And while I reason they are suffering from a mental disorder, the fact that they have a legitimate looking platform from which to display this is both humorous and worrisome.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a thong.

Oh, and [Roll Eyes] at the article.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Isn't it nice, Karl, when the opposition does such a good job of arguing against themselves? [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. You know, if the transsexual agenda combined its forces with the gay agenda, they could take over the country! No, the world!

Where's my bomb shelter?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you'll soon be able to get one in South Carolina fairly cheaply.

[ June 10, 2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An earlier scene in the movie features a wolf dressed in grandma's clothing and reading a book when Prince Charming encounters him. Later, one of the characters refers to the wolf's gender confusion.

Which just goes to show that fairy tales were of the devil all along [Roll Eyes]

Or maybe they think fairy tales perpetuate a different sort of "fairy" even though most of them actually perpetuate the helpless female on a pedestal role that they want females to stay in [Big Grin]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"In another scene in the movie, Shrek and Donkey need to be rescued from a dungeon where they are chained against the wall." and yet there is no objection from the author.

The Coalition must believe that Bondage&Domination is just good ol' TraditionalValues.

[ June 10, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Larry the Cucumber is my hero! There's NOTHING wrong with him whatsoever. He is the epitome of amazingness. *Cue music* "Lean and mean, green machine, looking great, fashion plate, out of sight, dynamite Larry-boy!"
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember Bob the Builder: A Crash Course in Sexual Innuendo? I'd link, but I'm pretty sure that would violate some portion of the user agreement.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And while I reason they are suffering from a mental disorder, the fact that they have a legitimate looking platform from which to display this is both humorous and worrisome.
You really think that because these people express concern over moral issues that you disagree with they are suffering from a mental disorder? And you think we should somehow restrict their right to say it from such a "legitimate-looking platform"? Wow. Sounds like conservative bashing of the gay agenda.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Where did she say we should restrict what they're saying?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
She didn't. She did call their use of free speech "worrisome," however. I should have phrased it better.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

and i think she was refering to her first post, which is to say she was refering to her former self as having this type of reaction and it being a mental disorder and it possibly being the same for these people who seem to be overreacting to the film.

or do you think their concerns about this particular movie are valid?

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The article was way over the top for me, but I don't think there's anything wrong with warning people about taking their children to a movie that involves transgender issues and cross-dressing. Like I said, the article went way overboard, and it's main focus didn't seem to be "consider the effects before you take your kids" so much as "watch out!", but in general I don't have a problem with that warning. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
But all new cartoon movies are like this these days - written with two audiences - mainly at the children but throw in a few jokes only the adults who have to sit through it can understand.

I remember it was done first in one of the muppet movies and there was a great hue and cry about sexual innuendo in cartoons.

I can think of numerous examples of this when I've laughed at stuff knowing that the kids I'm watching it with don't understand - Toy Story, Hercules, Shrek, Bugs Life, The Lion King, Monsters Inc, to name the ones I can think of. They all include some sort of adult joke that isn't appropriate for kids in someone or others opinions.

For heavens sake - why does everything have to be so PC these days - they even singing Baa Baa Woolly Sheep in nurseries these days.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how this article was PC. The article was anti-transgendered, and that is very anti-PC.

[ June 10, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think Shrek 2 had almost no (entertainment) value to kids.

It was still good for me though [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

I see what you mean - Mr P-H - my train of thought got sidetracked towards the end of the post - PC is one of my bugbears.

I personally think that if the wolf dressed as grandma (as per traditional Red Riding Hood stories) and there had been no comment they probably wouldn't have even picked up on it. They only did because the gender comment was made. What are we talking here a second or two in a 1-2 hour movie - How many kids would remember and actually understand this anyway? So what's the issue.

I understand what Hobbes said about the warning being OK but if parents were really that concerned about content they should go see it without the kids first and ensure they're happy with them watching it. I do know parents who've done this.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
What about cross-dressing in classic children's books, like 'Wind in the Willows'? Mr. Toad spends some time dressed up as a washer woman in that one.
That's been corrupting little minds since 1908.

Please... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

I really enjoyed Shrek 2.

However, I fully support those who want to warn other parents about its content. There are a lot of families who don't permit their children to see things like that because it promotes a morality contrary to that which they teach in the home.

They're not writing these things to be mean to transsexuals; they're not doing it to harass those who created the movie. They're doing it to express their disapproval of a social trend. I'm defending their right to do this from whatever platform they like - be it "legitimate" or not.

Theresa
Member # 6609

- posted      Profile for Theresa   Email Theresa         Edit/Delete Post 
As for warnings...the film was rated PG...Not G. Which means, Parental Guidance is suggested. There are ratings for this very reason. Now, if the MPAA, who wanted to give South Park: The Movie an NC-17 rating for a destinct reason, gives an animated film like SHREK a PG rating, don't you think that's a hint that there is some content in the movie that may be questionable for smaller children? Maybe it's the film person in me talking, but there is a reason for the rating system. Just like there is now a TV ratings system. So parents can CHOOSE what they want their children to see. If you aren't sure,read reviews, synopsis, screen it before hand, or ask someone who has seen it. Take some responsibility and use what tools are available to you to make appropriate the appropriate choice for you.

[ June 10, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Theresa ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

applauds Theresa

Too many people treat PG's the same as U's (those are UK ratings - not sure about US) - just because it doesn't say 12 or whatever doesn't mean its automatically suitable for everyone under 12.

celia60
Member # 2039

quote:
I'm defending their right to do this from whatever platform they like - be it "legitimate" or not.
and again, I say, nobody said they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

we're perfectly entitled to think this is silly and over the top. maybe it's hard to read what's actually posted from way up there on that horse.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the best stories through the ages have cross-dressing in them. Achilles dressed as a woman to avoid the draft. Shakespeare had it in 12th Night and As You Like It (although women dressing as men has always been deemed less threatening). In fact, all his women characters were played by boys (except maybe Juliet [Smile] ).

Dagonee
P.S., and the bartender was clearly a bearded lady, not a transvestite.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler! Spolier!!

Do you all remember the scene in the dungeon? They were making fun of Pinocchio for wearing women's underwear and he was lying about it.

So, if it embarrased Pinocchio and the others were teasing him, does this show in any way that they were supporting cross dressing? Seems to me that they were holding it in derision.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
If crossdressing is used for humor, it is clearly not trying to promote any transsexual agenda. If anything, it does their agenda harm by making a joke of it.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is really that bad, or would people prefer to have their children see the transvestite hookers on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood?
*giggles*

*actually DID see a transvestite on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood, outside a naughty lengerie shop, no less*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I think Shrek 2 had almost no (entertainment) value to kids.

What they understand, they find funny. I've wondered if my children, when they were younger had any clue about what was really being implied by certain dialogs & characters. I wonder that now that they're older.

I was discussing the first Shrek with my husband's ex-wife. She said that she allows my step-son to watch it now, he's five, however, when he gets older, she's not going to let him watch it. Adult themes. Hellofaloto sense that makes.

[Confused]

The way I justify it...it's more sterile than most of the craziness they come across while channel surfing.

I cringe at some of the junk on cable that I'm sure my kids wouldn't understand yet. I've tried not to strongly sensor them, I don't want them to be ignorant and out of touch with reality. I just don't want them to be warped and jaded couch potatoes at the age of 10.

I'd prefer they form their own opinions and interpretations.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TVC's report, "A Gender Identity Disorder Goes Mainstream," explains the transgender agenda and the effort to deconstruct the biological reality of male and female.
I guess hermaphrodites are not a reality! It is good to live in a world where all people are born either with a completely developed male sex genitalia or completely developed female genitalia. Yeah, there is no continuum in sexual development! Sheesh.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
If the kids understand the jokes, then they aren't seeing/hearing about it for the first time. If they don't already know about something, they won't even know there was a joke. At least, until their friends tell them anyway.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
P.S., and the bartender was clearly a bearded lady, not a transvestite.
This is what I thought it was - a really, really unfortunately-ugly stepsister.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You know why the people of the Traditional Values Coalition are always seeing "agendas" everywhere? It's because they are so obssessed with their own agenda - forcing their beliefs on everyone else - that they can't conceive of the idea that not everyone has an agenda.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Wow - google ads make Hatrack interesting.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.