FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BYU closes all Travel Study programs

Author Topic: BYU closes all Travel Study programs
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
story on BYU Newsnet (no registering required)

This doesn't directly effect me. I didn't have the funds to go to Alexandria next fall, but I'd hoped that I could come up with enough to go in two years. I have several friends in my Arabic class who planned on going next fall. A semester abroad is *required* for a Middle Eastern Studies major, so what are they going to do?

*is in a bad mood*

edit:
quote:
Carri Jenkins said terrorism and crime throughout the world are the main reasons for the closure.
so...they close programs to New Zealand and Europe?

[ June 13, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
The American exchange program at my university is having trouble attracting applicants in the US to swap places with our students for four months. They're worried about terrorism. Our tutors are having to spend hours on the phone reassuring terrified American parents that their baby will be fine.

I live in York, UK. It's a quiet little city in the north of England with a medieval cathedral and two cinemas. It's probably about as high on a terrorist's danger list as Nowhereville, Iowa. Stop panicking, people!

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
That's silly. I thought they'd have a hard time convincing people to go to the U.S.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone is a bit panicked. We've had Japanese students at our house and the organization that runs the English immersion program has said that they are having the same problem with Japanese students coming here.

But here is the deal: You are still more likely to be killed by a simple car accident than be a terrorist act, even in Israel.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] How terrible! What exactly does this mean? The link you have isn't working (and I think it's the Newsnet webpage itself because I tried to get at it directly from byu.edu also). All programs? Not Nauvoo, right? Is it temporary? I kinda wanted to do a study abroad before I left BYU... [Frown]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember kids, more people die each year from falling coconuts than shark bites.*

*from the Baltimore Aquarium, Spring 2003

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But chicks dig shark bite scars more than fallen coconut scars. I think. Though I've been told my opinions are not representative of all of hatrack.

That's too bad about the study abroad programs. It reminds me about some funny jokes we had about post graduate fellowships in stalking. You know. Study A Broad.

(Edit: I had though in both paragraphs)

[ June 14, 2004, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But here is the deal: You are still more likely to be killed by a simple car accident than be a terrorist act, even in Israel.
That is so true, Ami.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Last spring and summer, I edited a lot of stuff for BYU Travel Study. They had already had to cut a lot of tours and other programs because people were simply too scared to travel, and they were having trouble getting enough people for the programs that hadn't been cut. Even the tours in the U.S. and Canada were kind of suffering.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the Church will do with the BYU Jerusalem Center. It is a remarkable building and the Church's only presence in Israel/Palestine. It was built on land near Hebrew University on Mount Scopus. It was part of a section of Land abandoned in 1948 and no-one could determine ownership of the land so the church has create a Palestinian scholarship fund in exchange for use of the land. If the Church closes the center, I wonder what will become of the building and the scholarship fund.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarthPaul
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for DarthPaul           Edit/Delete Post 
Study abroad programs are not closing. Tours for senior citizens are. (Such misunderstandings are what may come of trusting BYU's student newspaper for details.)

See this article:
quote:

School leaders at the LDS Church-owned university are careful to note that the cancellation of Travel Study is not the first step toward ending or scaling back study-abroad programs or international church missionary service.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Like said earlier, you have a better chance of dying in a car wreck this week than dying at the hands of some guy seeking his 72 virgins in Heaven. With that note, however, I would not visit countries with heavy Muslim populations (with the possible exeption of Turkey which has a culture that is not so fanatical).
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
michael, why is that? Do you have a particular disdain to being hit by cars in Instanbul (Not Constantinople)?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Say what?
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, alhamdu lillaah for bad newswriting.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.