FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fungus Amungus

Author Topic: Fungus Amungus
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately my passion for gardening has been challenged by my disgust of nature’s apparent sense of humor.

Every spring we work our tails off, shoveling out fresh hardwood mulch in several large landscaped areas around our home. It provides a nice break from all of the grass. I never thought I'd say I needed a break from grass, coming from Arizona.

Every year we have several disgusting visitors pop by.

This bright beauty looks like a bunch of flowers from the road. It forms overnight, and melts into goo thru out the next day, leaving a bland blob of residue as it dies. yellow gooey blob

These lovelies only pop up in the back yard, next to the deck where we sit, relax and enjoy the summer evenings. [Mad] Stinkie and his brother.

Last summer I went on a mission to find out more about these repulsive little visitors. Since I'd never heard of stinkhorns, I began thinking someone was playing a horrible little trick on us. I don't know which was worse, their shape, the way they slowly wilted and died, or their smell. I'm not going into detail, because they’re obscene, believe me.

I was shocked when I read about them, their names, their history and the folklore surrounding them.

I found out that someone was playing a trick on us alright, nature.

This summer we've only been visited by the yellow blobs. The flashers haven't arrived as yet.

I've been swimming thru the net trying to find someway to eradicate these nasty little visitors from our lives forever.

Is it possible? I know mushrooms do not like lime. We throw lime on top of them, and they shrivel a little quicker. We’re quickly losing that battle.

I've already requested a complete removal of all hardwood mulch around the house. My husband refuses based on his love of hardwood mulch. I'd rather have stone because I can't imagine anything popping up so freely in pebbles. Apparently he doesn’t worry as much about the yellow blobs as I do and the nasty boys seem to amuse him.

Does anyone have any idea how to rid me of these pests forever?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*s reminded of Bionic Six*
Got an enormous pair of glasses?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

[Confused]

No...but I'd seriously go try to find some if they would help me out.

[ June 14, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bionic Six is some cartoon I liked when I was a kid. This guy invented a mushroom ray. The bad guys stole it and zapped mushrooms everywhere so they said that microwaves could get rid of them. So Bionic One took a pair of huge glasses and zapped them with sunlight.
It's weird that I remember things like this...

Mushrooms and fungi seem to like cold, dark damp places... Perhaps if the areas are less dark?
Stinkhorn is so obscene looking.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Perhaps if the areas are less dark?
Doesn't seem to matter. It's the dampness.

quote:
Stinkhorn is so obscene looking.
Yes, they really are. They smell worse than they look.

*goes out to shop for gigantic glasses*

Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww shoot, I was hoping for some oldskool Incubus goodness. ~_~
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.