FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Scanner Darkly

Author Topic: A Scanner Darkly
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found some interesting news today talking about the big screen adaptation of "A Scanner Darkly" by Phillip K. Dick. I just read this for the first time about a year ago and I'd say it's my favorite PKD out of what i've read so far.

I had read somewhere a little bit ago that Richard Linklater(Before Sunrise, Dazed and Confused, Waking Life) was interested in making it into a movie, which i thought was pretty exciting cause Linklater could do an awesome job with it.

Well, I just found this today. Seems filming is under way. Linklater IS the director. He also wrote the script. And Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., and Woody Harrelson are staring in it.

cool. [Cool]

[ June 15, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Though i must say. As psyched as I am about the cast, I don't think i ever saw Keanu in that role.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garick
Member # 6619

- posted      Profile for Garick   Email Garick         Edit/Delete Post 
crazy. Linklater doing Philip K. Dick.. but what's a synopsis of the story?
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well, alot of it is drawn from PKDs personal experiences with drug abuse, and experiences of friends. Here, I found the Amazon synopsis:

quote:
Mind- and reality-bending drugs factor again and again in Philip K. Dick's hugely influential SF stories. A Scanner Darkly cuts closest to the bone, drawing on Dick's own experience with illicit chemicals and on his many friends who died from drug abuse. Nevertheless, it's blackly farcical, full of comic-surreal conversations between people whose synapses are partly fried, sudden flights of paranoid logic, and bad trips like the one whose victim spends a subjective eternity having all his sins read to him, in shifts, by compound-eyed aliens. (It takes 11,000 years of this to reach the time when as a boy he discovered masturbation.) The antihero Bob Arctor is forced by his double life into warring double personalities: as futuristic narcotics agent "Fred," face blurred by a high-tech scrambler, he must spy on and entrap suspected drug dealer Bob Arctor. His disintegration under the influence of the insidious Substance D is genuine tragicomedy. For Arctor there's no way off the addict's downward escalator, but what awaits at the bottom is a kind of redemption--there are more wheels within wheels than we suspected, and his life is not entirely wasted

Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very cool. I've been trying to catch up on reading PKD's shorts, and this sounds like it's gonna be a nice project - hopefully better than Paycheck, which I heard turned out poorly.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

This was actually a full length novel.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from Tokien, Philip K. Dick is my all-time favorite author, and he might beat out even Tolkien if it weren't for for sentimental attachments.

Anyway, Dick is my favorite. And of all the Dick novels I've read (which is most of them), A Scanner Darkly is my favorite, hands down. Some of his short stories are better, but this is the best novel.

If they screw this one up, I might have to have somebody assassinated. Or at least seriously maimed.

But I'm confused. I thought I had read somewhere that this movie was, bizarrely, going to be animated. Personally, I can't imagine that, but now I want to get the straight story.

Edit: Ah, I've just found the answer. "Like a graphic novel come to life, A Scanner Darkly will utilize live action photography overlaid with an advanced animation process to create a haunting, highly stylized vision of the future."

I wonder what this will look like.

[ June 15, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow.

I just read what actor is playing each part.

I quote:"Keanu Reeves as Arctor, Winona Ryder as Donna, Robert Downey Jr. as Barris, Woody Harrelson as Luckman, and Rory Cochrane as Freck."

Keanu Reeves is Bob Arctor??? That thought is going to take some getting used to.

I don't see Ryder as Donna, either. Donna is much too hard. Ryder has always seemed kind of soft, dainty and fragile to me.

I think Harrelson can pull off the Luckman part. Luckman is a nice guy, though seriously messed up by drugs as are all the main characters. He's good-natured, kind of a peacemaker. This could work.

As for Downey, Jr. as Barris, that may be one of the genius moves of all time. Downey is NOTHING like I imagine Barris to be, but the more I think about it the more I think he might be perfect after all. Barris is a complete psycho - in fact, I get the feeling he would be a psycho even if he weren't a druggie. He's seriously paranoid and heavily into conspiracy theories. He's also a master of the bull-crap story, a total con man. At the same time, he isn't really evil, except maybe when he **SPOILERS** almost lets Luckman choke to death **SPOILERS**.

One thing I wonder: this book, although set in the 1990's (IIRC, but I could be wrong), was written just after the hippie/drug era, which Dick was deeply involved in. The whole book has that feel. All the characters seem not just like stoned people, but specifically stoned hippies. I wonder if the filmmakers are going to go with this feel, or update it. My guess would be the latter.

[ June 15, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Yeah, I said above i thought Keanu was a weird choice. It's just such a different role from what Keanu has done.

The one i was most psyched about was Robert Downey Jr., I think he's crazy enough to be perfect at this role.

I never saw Donna as being "hard". but I do agree Ryder seems a bit too soft for the part.

All in all though, I'm really excited. Mostly because of Linklater. But I'm not necessarily displeased with any of the choices.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I read Donna as being one tough chick, if I may use the rather uncouth term. Even harder, once you learn her real story.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... seems like Fight Club got some ideas from this book.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

If so, I'll have to read Fight Club.
Strider
Member # 1807

well, there's one obvious thing fight club has in common with this book. But it goes about it much differently.

*Spoilers(for fight club and Scanner)*

They both have a split personality disorder. But in Fight Club he's never aware of it till the end, and it occurs naturaly. In Scanner Darkly it doesn't start as a split personality, it starts as his undercover persona, which he eventually gets so seperated from through drug use that he develops the split personality.

And in terms of appreciation for the female character. With Marla it changes after learning the narrator's secret. With Donna it changes after learning hers.

[ June 15, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Strider
Member # 1807

But either way you should read Fight Club. It's one of my favorite movies and the book is infinitely better.
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
"This was actually a full length novel."

I haven't read nearly enough PKD... and that quote is proof.

[ June 15, 2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my favorite novels! PKD's extrapolation was so close to actual reality, there won't be much needed in the way of special effects. The blur suit should be cool.

Three main characters: Bob Arcturus, Fred (the narotics officer), and finally the character that becomes in the end. All should be played by the same actor. Who should it be?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Linklater should do a good job. He's obviously a PKD fan. In fact, some of the best dialogue in Waking Life inspired me to read Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. An interesting novel...

On a related topic, can you believe that I bought the Waking Life dvd, brand spankin' new, for something like $7.00? What a freakin' deal!

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Flow My Tears does indeed rock! Newsclowns!

It's good to know they cast someone decent.

*****SPOILER ALERT********

Now--will they cut the dog-s--t on the engine block stuff? Will we see in the end that Substance D is actually heroin?

How much will they alter the story? This should be interesting. Nice news Strider and Co. Thanks!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

The dog excrement on the engine part would be hard to film, since it is **SPOILERS** entirely a hallucination on the part of Arctor **SPOILERS**. There's probably still some good way to do it, but I think you would have to do it without making Arctor look TOO insane, because at that point we still don't know what's going on in his mind.

And why would they say that Substance D is heroin? That would be a stupid change. Actual heroin already plays a pretty big part in the story, and is clearly distinguished from Substance D.

eslaine
Member # 5433

Well, then Substance D is some sort of Opiate.

According to the ***Spoiler*** poppies in the end.

But, yeah. I see the special effects taking the line of hallucination.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

**SPOILERS** I don't think those were poppies. I'll have to look at my copy again, but I'm pretty sure about that. Poppies are big, gaudy and bright, aren't they? And red, if I remember correctly. The Substance D flowers were tiny and blue. Arctor hid one in his shoe, for pete's sake.
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
On a related topic, can you believe that I bought the Waking Life dvd, brand spankin' new, for something like $7.00? What a freakin' deal!
that is an awesome deal. I'd be jealous if I hadn't already owned the movie for 2 years. [Smile]
eslaine
Member # 5433

UofUlawguy, I envy you.

My copy was destroyed by a wayward friend in the eighties. The last I saw of it was the last two-thirds of it. The front third had been lost already.

[Mad]

Oh, well. At least he doesn't destroy any of my library anymore!

You don't think they were poppies? I guess he was just trying to say that Sub D wasn't synthetic.

I'll have to get a new copy of the novel before they change the cover to the movie poster.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.