FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack is good for your health (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack is good for your health
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge no one on Hatrack has ever died. It's possible that someone came here for a while, but left before they died so none of us heard about it. However, no one activley posting has ever died right? So Hatrack must keep you alive, thus it's my plan to continue to post here forever, since the statistics show that doing so means I will live forever! [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Three cheers for Hatrack!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*knocks on wood*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I could go home... work is done.. but Hatrack is too fun! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the sign of the full-on Hatrack addiction. In time, that impulse will fade, but its fun for now.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
It could very well happen.

I post here and there...and never really correspond with anyone.

If I died you'd never know.

How sad for me. [Angst]

Who wants to become my close e-mail pal? I'm scared I might go, and you'd never know.

I want you to know if I go!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
o_0
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Unbelievable!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, just in case, we should institute the buddy system. Or a phone tree! Remember those PTA phone trees where everyone calls someone else in case of an emergency like the power reactor melting down? We need one of those.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I really do need just one buddy.

Just one.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah -- how am I gonna call you to tell you I'm dead if I'm dead?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Ooooo..good point.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Farmgirl, that's why you have kids. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

yeah -- that works for me.

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
In case of an emergency like the power reactor melting down
Annie darling, I don't think you ever lived anywhere that would have a possible power plant meltdown threat. [Razz]

[Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Or just marry another Hatracker.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That works.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

That's not the point, Hobbesy. You've gotta be prepared for any eventuality.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yeah. Like, what if somebody built a nuclear plant near you, and then it blew up and killed you, and nobody survived to tell Hatrack?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh OK, I get it now. Sorry about that, guess I never took the PTA as seriously as they deserved! [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you tell if someone died...or if they just stopped posting. I guess if someone was a long time poster you would be surprised if they just stopped posting without saying goodbye...but you would not know for sure unless you had some RL connections to them (such as phone #). If I bit it the people over at terrygoodkind.com would know, as a few of them have my #....and being an admin would make it rather odd if I disappeared, but at other boards people would never know. Though I figure I prob have good 60 or 70 years left in me if I am lucky...so I doubt you will have to see my demise. [Smile]

Of course it is possible that posting here makes life so exciting all the posters have become immortal to avoid having to leave the board. I guess only time will tell.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah. Like, what if somebody built a nuclear plant near you, and then it blew up and killed you, and nobody survived to tell Hatrack?
The only way I see to prepare for this is to acquire specially trained, radiation-resistant, messenger cockroaches!

Assuming I get some, if there's a nuclear mishap in the Chicago area, you might end up hearing a cockroach scratching at your door. Might be best to see if it has something to say before stepping on it.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Tammy, we're keeping close tabs on you from now on!!

You guys are getting really creepy! [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that, but biking to work every day has done me a bit of good.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only way I see to prepare for this is to acquire specially trained, radiation-resistant, messenger cockroaches!
some sort of deadman's switch might work...if you don't deactivate it every day it sends out messages saying that you are dead. Of course it would need to be set up in an offsite server...but it could be done. [Razz]

Though the roach idea would prob be more fun.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Narnia [Kiss] *sometimes I think I type in invisible font*

I'm just going to get one of my IT friends to write some sort of program so that my computer will send Hatrack a short, yet sweet, generic little note indicating that I have indeed passed away.

If I fail to log on to Hatrack during one weeks time, the program will be triggered, my computer will automatically generate a new topic and post my message.

I feel better now that I've figured that one out.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want Hatrack people to know if I'm dead. I'm hoping that if I ever disappear that instead of assuming I'm dead, people will invent scandelous rumors about me. Something along the lines of "space opera has become a reclusive billionaire who only speaks with aliens now."

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I thought you were already.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
If I fail to log on to Hatrack during one weeks time, the program will be triggered, my computer will automatically generate a new topic and post my message.

Hope your hard drive never dies and leaves you computerless for a week -- we will get message saying you're dead!

<GRIN>
oh wait -- said program will be on the same computer...

FG

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I should have mentioned aliens on OTHER planets, not the weirdos I meet here. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ah, of course. Well then, carry on.
Annie
Member # 295

Dude, too bad Sacajawea didn't have an IT friend. No one knows if she died at 20 or 86.

I have to dress up like Sacajawea for a parade on Saturday, by the way. If I don't post, it's because I fell off my bareback horse and I'm probably dead.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

We want pictures of that Annie!

(the parade -- not of you falling off)

FG

Tammy
Member # 4119

But if you did happen to fall off, those would be fun to look at as well.

[Big Grin]

Annie
Member # 295

I'll make sure to remind Captain Clark to bring the videocamera.
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Tammy!
I just noticed you said hi in the "Last Post" thread, but since I really hope that thread dies very soon, I'll say thanks here.

Since we live so close, I'll be happy to be your buddy [Smile] Unfortunately, I don't post often enough to be missed myself, but I do lurk, so if I don't see your name popping up every once in a while, I'll be sure to check up on you. Winston's only a couple of hours from Durham (of course you have to deal with I-85 Greensboro traffic to get there).

BTW, I had a near death experience a few days ago and now I know why I survived--its all thanks to Hatrack! [Big Grin]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Hey Shepherdess - Sounds good! That traffic doesn't bother me a bit.

quote:
BTW, I had a near death experience a few days ago and now I know why I survived--its all thanks to Hatrack!
I'm sure all at Hatrack are happy to know they were collectively responsible for your survival! What happened?
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
I'm just going to get one of my IT friends to write some sort of program so that my computer will send Hatrack a short, yet sweet, generic little note indicating that I have indeed passed away.

This will only work if the electricity continues to stay up. It's probable that any radioactive mishap that fries you will also fry your power lines and/or computer.

That's the downside of high-tech solutions.

Me, I'm reading up on the care, feeding and training of cockroaches. [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

[Angst] I don't like those bugs at all.

To what extent are you going to train them? After training them, will you consider marketing them within the forum?

If, that's a big if, I decide to purchase one of these bugs from you for the above mentioned purpose, will any extra training on my part be required?

I would like to have the bug watching from afar, ready to burst into action if it does indeed see something happen to me. I don't want any unnecessary interaction between the object and my family.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake, I think it will take more than training. I believe some sort of directed breeding program, if not actual genetic engineering, will be required. I speak as one who knows. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*figures there's an interesting story about trying to train cockroaches behind ak's post.*
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure all at Hatrack are happy to know they were collectively responsible for your survival! What happened?
Tammy, I might have been exaggerating just a tad when I said that. I did see a lot of white, but it turned out just to be the airbags in my car [Wink] I already mentioned this in another thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

I was on my way home from church on Sunday evening when I was in a car accident with a driver (who was on his way home from the bar). He lost control of his car, came over the median, and hit me. I saw him coming, and I remember thinking that I would probably wake up in the hospital. Thankfully, my worst injury was actually caused by the airbag. I have a distinctive Toyota symbol burned into my arm from the steering wheel cover coming off when the airbag deployed.

If he had hit just a few inches further back, it would have been right in the middle of the driver side door. As it was, the front wheel of the car took the brunt of the damage, breaking the axle and bending the frame. I am so very, very fortunate. It's things like this that give me a new appreciation of the fleeting nature of our lives.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Well - thank goodness you're okay!

You're going to have to order yourself a little roach so that we can keep tabs on you as well!

Shepherdess
Member # 6115

That trained cockroach idea sounds like a plan!
I've done some genetic engineering myself, albeit on a much smaller scale than roaches (we're talking E. coli here).

The closest I've come to doing any genetic engineering on a cockroach was when I inadvertently microwaved one at the lab. I was heating a mug of water for some tea, and when I opened the door, the water was boiling and a cockroach came running out as if nothing had happened! I should have caught that thing--he would have been a good specimen to start with for your breeding program, AK.

Isn't it comforting to know that the cockroaches will still be here even if we've blown ourselves up in a nuclear holocaust?

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to help raise those roaches!

Actually, though, Hatrack IS good for you. According to Tracy Cross, the author of some of my G/T textbooks, the internet is a powerful way for gifted people to reach out to each other. In all my classes, I've been reading about how important it is for gifted kids (and I'm extrapolating to adults) to be with their mind-peers. It's hard to find people whose brains work in the quirky ways we Hatrackers are accustomed to. So, here's to Hatrack! You are good for my mental and social health!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Yeah, I am so freaking spoiled now, at being able to drop a silly reference to almost anything and have it be picked right up. I can't imagine this level of joy and self-indulgence of my peculiar quirks with any other group of friends. We are very very lucky. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone found other ways, besides Hatrack, to make friends that are just as cool as jatraqueros?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Okay, anyone who wants their own particular strain named for them, and mailed, just list the qualities you need. I'm working on the little dishwashing roaches, the carpet cleaning roaches, the wall scrubbing roaches, and even the ones who recatalog your library and file it in library of congress order (dewey decimal should be available soon). The ones who take out the trash, or rather recycle it into useful biproducts and sock it away in convenient places, are proving tough to come up with. [Smile]
B166ER
Member # 6380

- posted      Profile for B166ER   Email B166ER         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is a bit out there I'm sure, and off topic and all that, but I don't care what roaches are trained or made to do, all they should do is die. I hate roaches so much, so so much. *shudders*
Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.