FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Daily News Round-Up

Author Topic: Daily News Round-Up
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
[rant]

This insanity has got to stop.

Rumsfeld Acknowledges Hiding Iraqi Prisoner

quote:
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld acknowledged on Thursday he ordered the detention of an Iraqi terrorism suspect who was held for more than seven months without notifying the International Committee of the Red Cross, but said the man was "treated humanely."

"He has been treated humanely. There's no implication of any problem. He was not at Abu Ghraib. He is not there now. He has never been there to my knowledge,"

Bush insists Iraq, al Qaeda had 'relationship'

quote:
Bush, in a brief appearance before reporters, was asked why the administration insists that Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda had a relationship "when even you have denied any connection between Saddam and September 11, and now the September 11 commission says that there was no collaborative relationship at all?"

The president answered:"The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda, because there was a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda."

He referred to meetings in Sudan between Iraqi intelligence agents and al Qaeda and said Saddam had connections with organizations considered by the United States to be terror groups -- including Abu Nidal. That group is a spinoff from the Palestinian Liberation Organization.

In the lead-up to the invasion of Iraq, Bush had made stronger statements alleging cooperation between Iraq and al Qaeda. In a October 2002 speech, he said, "Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases."

Poll Shows Iraqis Would Feel Safer Without Occupiers

quote:
The poll, conducted in May and obtained by Reuters on Thursday, found only 10 percent of Iraqis had confidence in U.S.-led forces -- down from 28 percent in January. Fifty-five percent would feel safer if those troops left Iraq immediately.

With security topping the list of concerns for Iraqis, 67 percent of those polled blamed an increase in violent attacks around the country on a loss of faith in U.S.-led forces.

The poll also indicated growing support for rebel Shi'ite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, who launched an uprising against U.S. forces in the holy city of Najaf in April.

Eighty-one percent said their opinion of Sadr, who this week told his fighters to go home, was better or much better than it was three months ago. But only 22 of the 1,093 people interviewed would pick him to lead Iraq.

Our foreign policy is a disaster. our president is reviled around the world, we've wasted billions on a war which was by no means imminently necessary (an estimate i saw was that every us citizen owed about $4,000 in taxes to pay for the expected cost iraq), and somehow the administration has the gall to keep releasing statements trying to pin this whole thing on Al Qaeda and defending Rumsfeld (they were treated humanely, we kept them hidden just for laughs).

kerry makes me want to hit things, but please, anything but this.

[/rant]

[ June 17, 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: kerinin ]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of this thread, I'll post my own news item:

Aproximately 3,589 unborn children were killed in the United States yesterday. The nation took this tragedy in stride.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

so i think fetuses (shouldn't it be fetii?) aren't real people and you think iraqis aren't real people eh? (sarcasm)
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps one shouldn't think.. of Iraq as a patriot thing. Perhaps people need to stop attacking from left or right and seeing it as purely wrong or purely right. I think there are many many mistakes that have been made in Iraq, for the most part because it is a military led effort.

That and honestly, as much as I believe a leader should take responsibility for everything that happens under him, wether it is his mistake or not, we might all want to just step back and stop blaming every US wrong on Bush. A lot of people seem to think that simply getting Bush out of office will get rid of all our problems. That terror will go away, that the islamic fundamentalists will love us etc. I won't say good or bad to any of these things at the moment, but I do ask that everyone take a step back and reevalute their thoughts on the idea.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

quote:

we might all want to just step back and stop blaming every US wrong on Bush. A lot of people seem to think that simply getting Bush out of office will get rid of all our problems. That terror will go away, that the islamic fundamentalists will love us etc.

to be perfectly honest, i'm just very very angry. i think seething is the word i need. i started getting a very uncomfortable, almost nauseous feeling the first time i heard bush lambast "evildoers" after 9/11 and this feeling of suffocation has been increasing since then. i have disagreed with so much of what he's done, seen so much of his actions, statements, and policies as small-minded, knee-jerk, and dissembling, that at this point the only way i can think to react to the utter mess we've found ourselves in is through anger. anger that it was allowed to come to this, anger that we as a country let this happen, anger that our leaders could be so idiotic.

i don't really care if removing bush fixes the problems, i'm just really really mad at him, and have absolutely no confidence that he is capable of fixing the situation.

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
While removing Bush from office will not solve the problems we are facing now, (and that would be a very naive outlook to begin with) I believe it would be a stepo in the right direction towards putting right some of the wrongs and getting the problems fixed.
As it is, regardless of WHO is in office next term, we are going to have to deal with these things for the next SEVERAL years and administrations.

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so i think fetuses (shouldn't it be fetii?) aren't real people and you think iraqis aren't real people eh? (sarcasm)
Funny, I didn't make assumptions about what you thought.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.