FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling all Quilting Hatrackers!

Author Topic: Calling all Quilting Hatrackers!
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been somehow roped into a square exchange/chain mail thingie, and was wondering if anyone else was interested in sending (and receiving) six inch squares of purple fabric.

I don't know anyone in real life who quilts (except for the lady who asked me to be a part of this), so you are my last hope.

Whaddya think?

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I quilt, but I'm not sure if I really want to do it, I don't really collect purples.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to learn to quilt, but I don't know how. I've started saving fabric scraps, though, in hopes of making them into a quilt one day. Does that count? How does the thing work with the purple squares? Purple is not in my color scheme, but hmmm, I dunno, I guess I will try to participate if you tell me what I need to do. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Okay, I fished the directions out of my messy craft closet. Heh.

It says:

quote:
Purple Charm Quilt

This is a quilt tree. No money is involved, just a lot of fun. Please send two (2) 6-inch squares of 100% cotton fabric in purple or purple print to the first person on the list. Then remove the name taht you sent the squares to and put your name at the bottom of the list, below mine.

Then copy this letter and send it to six people along with two squares of purple fabric to each person. In total you should receive 72 squares, enough to make a quilt. It will be fun to see where the squares come from and what they look like when you put the quilt together.

If you simply cannot do this in one week, I hope you can send me a note so it doesn't spoil the fun for everyone else.

[list of four names and addresses]

AJ--you are no fun. [Razz] I don't collect purples either, but I thought I could use these squares for a quilt for my grandma, who likes purple very much.

ak--I haven't quilted in a long time, but I think that all quilters are secret fabric-a-holics, in it for the fabric, you know?

[edited: got the wrong name for one of the hatrackers! I fixed it!]

[ June 17, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: jexx ]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You send out 14 swatches and get back 72? Ah, the cockeyed optimism of chain letters.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

I was kind of wondering about the math on that, too. Hehe. Even so, I have cut a gajillion purple squares tonight, and I want to share them with someone!

[Dont Know]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The math isn't the problem. Human nature is.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I have purple fabric, and I know a lot of quilters. Go ahead and send me one. Do you still have my address?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Yay~!

I sure do have your address (but I had to check, hehe, I'll make sure to write it down just in case That Man I Married goes on an email-purge).

One down, five to go!

*does a little dance*

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...I wanna learn how to quilt! I just learned to crochet and finished my first baby blanket. I've got another blanket to make for my neice-to-be after that. Jexx, do you quilt by hand or do you use a sewing machine?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

I most definitely use a sewing machine! I admire those who have the perserverance (and talent!) to quilt by hand, but I have a very fine Kenmore sewing machine, and I enjoy using it!

Quilting can be pretty easy, if you stick to straight lines. If you lived closer, I'd be happy to show you 'strip-piecing', which is the easiest of all (IMO), but I don't think I can explain it in words. :/ I'm just a visual teacher, I think.

There is something wonderful about completing a blanket, and they make such personal gifts. I especially enjoy doing little baby quilts because new moms love them, and they are quick to do!

I still make many many mistakes in my quilting, and I don't sew as much as I would like to (because I am lazy more than anything else), but anyone can do it, I promise!

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve always wanted to make a quilt. I feel the need to make a quilt with complimentary colors and patterns. Is that what you’re doing?

My aunts and grandma would just grab any old material, cut them and throw them together. They were raised on a farm and a quilt was made to keep a body warm.

Now that they’re older, they’ve realized that quilts can be beautiful when made with colors that compliment each other. Not that they didn’t realize it then, they just have the time now to plan each quilt that they make. They also make stained glass hangings and lamps, sew wedding dresses, bras and suits, create jewelry and make pottery. I’m actually forgetting quite a bit I’m sure. They shame me so.

I've never had the desire to sew a bra.

My sister in law made each new child in her family a baby quilt. She embroidered their name and their birth date on it. They're absolutely beautiful.

I’d like to take baby steps and start with a baby quilt.

You need to post a picture of this when you’re finished. I’d like to see it.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Well, I've never felt the need to make a bra either. That sounds really, really hard. By comparison, quilting is totally easier! Hehe.

Usually, I like to contrast colors so that a design (in the piecing, not in the quilting itself) can be seen.

What you have described is what is known as 'crazy quilting', I guess. I have a couple of crazy quilts that my Nana made me. [Smile]

Tammy, you should make a quilt~! Sooooo easy, especially when using squares (all straight sewing).

[Smile]

jexx
Member # 3450

*bump*
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Jexx...I'm so stingy with my spare time.

I'm going to someday. Just not right now.

Good Luck on your quilt.

*pictures*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.