FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Song of Susannah ***SPOILERS*** and Dark Tower Speculation.

Author Topic: Song of Susannah ***SPOILERS*** and Dark Tower Speculation.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Arg! Stephen King is an Evil Genius! I'm more invloved in these books than probly anything else, and he ALWAYS ends them with cliff hangers!

For a while there I thought that Eddie or Roland was going to die, cause of some line about Death slipping between them. And I still think ROland might die.

I never thought King would introduce himself as a character, and then kill himself off. It was certainly unexpected.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kinda worried that the book would start to get hookie when he put himself in as a character but I think it was a cool twist. I am so jazzed that the next one will be out in 3 months! I can't wait! Lord, when I read the 1st one I was in high school! He took his sweet time but it's been so worth it!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goblin
Member # 6539

- posted      Profile for goblin           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree! This is probably one of the best stories ever! The fact that it encompasses so much of his other work is amazing. And the way he wrote himself in was great. I could picture him reacting the way he did in the book. Who will fall along the way? Only the King knows for sure, but I will be waiting with baited breath for the finale to this epic. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to wonder how many of his readers are now doing internet searches for the Walk-ins articles [Laugh]

Being a SK fan, I do have to say I'm a bit worried. He's hinted at retirement after this series is finished, he's killed himself off in this series, and basically said the next book should wrap things up.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS

I read it at a single sitting, and man! King IS an Evil Genius, sez me. For one thing, the Roland-Mordred connection surprised the hell outta me. Shoulda at least thought of that, really, what with King Arthur frequently referenced.

I was hoping we'd get a shot at reading that Tales of the Eld book Father Callahan had. I was really, really glad that it didn't turn out to be a King is the Creator of Reality situation, too. And I was on the edge of my seat in the many near-death situations.

I shoulda waited until the next one was out, dangit! But I'm hoping it's VERY long.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Amazon, the hardcover edition of the final book is over 700 pages - so, yeah, a much longer read than this last book.

More later...

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
That's good. For a while I didn't think he could pack the ending into the same size book.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this one, I have to say Eddie is turning out to be one of SKs most complete, believable characters.

And Jake is a scary, scary kid. In a good way.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
*string of curses*

Just... just, DAMN the man! Every SINGLE character we care about is in mortal danger AND he kills HIMSELF?

Damn the man.

And you're right. Took him darned long enough. Wonder if the dying grandma who wrote him hoping to know how the story turned out before she died was real. I bet she was, and I also bet she died not knowing diddly-squat.

I also keep catching myself saying things like, "Thankee sai" and "Say true?" It pleases me and pisses me off simultaneously-- to be that sucked into someone else's imagination. Damn the man.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::hugs livvy::

Only a little while for Dark Tower. We can do it!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
King did have a near-miss on death. It affected him deeply. So it seems that it helped him get perspective on lots of things.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and this being a spoiler thread I suppose I can mention that in SoS his near-fatal accident actually proves fatal BEFORE he finishes the story.

That is one helluva convolluted twist.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goblin
Member # 6539

- posted      Profile for goblin           Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving around Taylor, MI the other day, and saw the coolest thing. I found a church called Gilead Baptist Church. How Awesome is that?! Also, check out The Dark Tower Compendium website for some really cool stuff.

[Cool]

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, there's lots of King fan 'Rackers! I've been bottling up my addiction over here!

And yes I've already warned my library that they'd better not let ANYONE else read DT7 before I get my hands on it! (since I'm ordering my copy from Amazon UK - I like that cover better for some reason - but don't want to wait for overseas delivery)

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.