FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dodgeball

Author Topic: Dodgeball
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I just returned from a spontaneous trip to the new movie Dodgeball. I've never been a fan of these immature comedy movies (Old School comes immedietly to mind), and this one isn't an exception.

Sure there were funny parts, but in general it was just immature.

I did notice that this movie embraced homosexuality and bisexuality as normally as anything else. Is this a cultural shift? Now that homosexuality is commonplace in movies and entertainment, does that mean it is accepted in the average person's mind?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Not anymoreso or anylessso that it was before, for me.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
was it funny?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Immature? Yes.

Let's put it like this: ("If you can dodge wrenches, you can dodge balls!").

If you find that scene funny, you'll LOVE the movie. Otherwise, it'll be too crude for you.

Personally...I loved it [Wink] .

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
See, the wrench scene in the preview struck me as particularly funny because I hate sports movies where some grizzled old coach knows a training secret that can turn a bunch of misfits into gold-medal contenders (Cool Runnings excepted).

Was that scene played as a satire or as, "Heh, heh, that guy got hit with a wrench!"?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the whole movie(so i've heard) is ripping on professional sports and athletes and our society in general the way Zoolander did with models and our society.

Though Zoolander was a love it or hate it type of movie. And I'm assuming Dodgeball is along those same lines. And anyone that doesn't think Old School is hilarious has serious mental problems. [Razz]

[ June 20, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Dagonee: Played for both.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salaam
Member # 5239

- posted      Profile for Salaam   Email Salaam         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it to be very funny. It was a bit of a mix between Old School and Zoolander.
Like others have said, if you didn't find Old School or Zoolander funny, you probably won't find Dodgeball funny, but it does have its witty moments. One example is Vince Vaughn giing up and having Lance Armstrong coem up and say "Yeah, I thought about giving up too when I was diagnosed with Brain, lung, and testicular cancer all at the same time, but i cam back and won the tour de france 5 times. But i'm sure you have good reasons and this decision won't haunt you for the rest of your life"

All in all it was a great movie, not as good as Old School, but definitely seeing a first and second time.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Those kind of movies have always been the kind I love. I went and saw it tonight with my brother and his friends, and we were cracking up from the very beginning of the movie to the very end. Frankly, it's the best movie I've ever seen in my life. And I mean that when I say it.

I thought the jokes were fresh and innovative. No, you didn't "get something" out of the movie, but that's not why i went to see it. I went to see it to see some really funny jokes, and was far from disappointed.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Did everyone who went to see it stick around for after the credits? We got the heads up by an employee on our way out. It's one of those things that are funny and scarring at the same time. Basically, if you liked the movie, stick around. Otherwise, run for it as soon as the screen goes black.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard somewhere it was based off a true story. Anyone got the scoop on that?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dagonee: Played for both.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll go then. I love a good sports satire.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

A lot of the jokes are based around how pathetic the game is and all that. The coach jokes are in general mocking choaching, but they do play better under his advice, so "some" of it works.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.