FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who to vote for? (Or inform Hobbes of 3rd party choices)

Author Topic: Who to vote for? (Or inform Hobbes of 3rd party choices)
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I strongly dislike Bush and Kerry (for reasons not really applicable to this thread); and I've decided that voting for either someone who I do not want in charge of my country comes too close to lying for my concious, so now I need to pick someone else... but who? The only 3rd party candiate I really know much about is Nader, and I don't want to vote for him either; so I'm asking the well informed, highly oppinionated crowd here, who else is there? Is there any good sites to reasearch their stances, or hear what they have to say? Who is it that I can vote for (besides writing in Lieberman or somnething, which I would feel really lame doing since he's already declined to run, if only since he was beaten by Kerry)?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, none of the major third-party candidates are any better; they're all pretty much whack-jobs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I'm open to suggestions about what to do then... or other opinions.

(*psst Tom*, did you get my e-mail a while back?)

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm sorry. [Frown] What was it about?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Darn! It was on birth control, you seemed to think I was intelligent and I felt bad leaving you with my poor explenation on it (after that one thread) and making you stop thinking that (because who want's Tom to think they're stupid? [Big Grin] ) but I didn't want to start a big to-do at Hatrack about it. Anyways... umm.. just pretend you got it and it was really intelligent and you don't have to lower your opinion of me. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I still contend that if the option "none of the above" was listed on the ballot, it would win this election (and the one four years ago).

There are no viable third party candidates. Unfortuantely, there are also no viable major party candidates either.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Aren't there some... mediocre 3rd party canidates at least? Or candiates worth my time to read their opinions?

Hobbes [Smile]

[ June 29, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Um.
Honestly, you're probably better off writing somebody in. None of the "viable" third-party candidates are worth voting for, and none of the other ones are any more likely to get more votes than a write-in.

Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Dude, Where's My Country? by Michael Moore? Convince Oprah to run!
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Vote Bob, vote often.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

- posted      Profile for Caitlin Strand   Email Caitlin Strand         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hobes! Where's Calvin? [Dont Know] [ROFL]
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, so the right/left thread reminded me of this one. Of course if anyone suddenly came up with a great canidate...

I have a more specific question though, whose running for the libertarians, and why is he no good?

Hobbes [Smile]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing in Dallin Oaks for president and Olene Walker for Utah Governor.

"Burn baby burn"
my ballot burning theme song.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

*cough* Does no one know who the canidate is?

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes,

You might be able to find it online yourself if you knew how to spell CANDIDATE

[Wink]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because who want's Tom to think they're stupid?
You're adorable, Hobbesy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah, but only in case Annie is watching. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl, spelling is for people who aren't stupid. [Taunt] No wait... ummm... I'll get back to you on that. In the mean time, thanks for the link. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes:"whose running for the libertarians, and why is he no good?"

Um, this might be too obvious, but . . . because he's a Libertarian?

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...Badnarik is creepy! And I've only read three of his positions!
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey, Hobbes --

Try that "World's Smallest Political Quiz" link on that page I linked to. It is....ummm.. interesting.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah I did, I'm a centrist apparently, between right wing and libertarian. And it's not like the questions were biased or anything... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

I have to admit, his position on affirmitive action and gay marriage appeal to me, but Lawguy is also kind of right... [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Several of his positions appeal to me in theory, but they're too extreme to be useful. I think government strangles a lot of businesses with overregulation, but some regulations are necessary, and he doesn't seem to want to face up to it.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I give up. I've looked through this whole list and found absoltuley nothing and no one who I actually want as president. I officialy have no clue as to what I'm doing come Novemember. [Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
This site has a pretty good listing of the candidates. They also have excellent listings for all the congressional and a few state races.

[ July 07, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

- posted      Profile for Alai's Echo           Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize that no matter what third-party candidate you choose, your vote will essentially be helping re-elect Bush, right? Much like a vote for Nader was a vote against Gore in 2000, a vote for pretty much any third party is going to be a vote against Kerry. I'm positive the next election is going to be close like the last one was.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
A person should assess as much about the situation possible, imagine most of the possible outcomes, make a list of the countries biggest problems, think about our relations with the rest of the world, and then go with your heart, mind and soul.

<T>

I think W is all about War and Tax Cuts.
I believe his buddies make great profits from war.
I do not think he's smart enough for the job.

Kerr is not a genius either.
He's also a super rich dude.
But, in a time of World War III,
I'd rather have a guy who gave
his blood, sweat and tears as
a soldier. He was in the middle
of War. He knows the ramifications
and price families must pay
for the old rich mens wars.
Plus, our ability to have
good relations without countries
that aren't tony blair land and
mexico improve by 1000%.

If you want to cast a third party vote,
vote for me.

THOR for President 2004!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Voldemort
Member # 6675

- posted      Profile for Lord Voldemort           Edit/Delete Post 
Vote for me. My death eaters should make short work of the terrorists, dictators, and criminals. Of course, they will also make short work of grandmothers, children, and cute puppies. Hey, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I also promise not to torture anyone for information. We have much more efficient ways, specificially veritaserum. No, I will only torture people for fun.

So, Voldemort for Dark Lor- I mean, President of the United States. Well, I guess some people would consider them the same thing. Take the dark mark today and show your patriotism!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I voted for Nader in 2000. It was a vote for Nader, not Bush.

At the time (1999), neither major candidate was doing anything but paying lipservice to me. They kept talking about lockboxes and prescription drug reform for retirees.

Neither side was touching on anything that would fire me up. While it looks bad now, I felt that at worst, GWB would be about the same as GHWB, mediocre, but serviceable. In hindsight I was wrong, but you can't judge my decision in hindsight, because I didn't have it when I went into the booth.

I don't generally fall into the strict party lines that the "Other Party", whoever that is, is the Enemy. As a result, I wasn't going to knee-jerk vote for Gore out of some idea of being part of the team. The parties are there to make theyir best case TO US, not expect me to vote for them as a default.

Heck, if the Libertarians had a moderate wing, I might even vote for them!

This year, I'll likely be voting for Kerry; partially because Bush has proven himself (to me) to be a less than mediocre president, partially because Nader is banging on the same drum, he isn't adapting to the new climate.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Voldie, how do you respond to the charges of being weak on environmental issues? Cthulhu, the other Dark candidate, has a well known platform position of mastication on crime and grandmothers? This seems much more ecologically conscious than yours.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, in a time of World War III,
I'd rather have a guy who gave
his blood, sweat and tears as
a soldier.

Hey man, World War III is over. And if you missed the coldness of it, you sure as heck will have trouble detecting the raging WWIV that is being fought silently all around us.

I'm bracing for world war 5...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey! On that site Jeni posted, it shows there is a Kansan running for President! As the "Peace and Freedom Party" candidate..

Oooo....
quote:
The "Leonard Peltier for President" campaign seems to be an attempt to garner more publicity for an imprisoned cause celebre of the international progressive movement. Peltier, a prominent Native American activist, has been serving a life sentence in federal prison for the murder of two FBI agents in South Dakota in 1975, when they came onto the reservation.
Guess I definately won't be voting for this fellow Kansan come election day! How awful!

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.