FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Subatomic Particle Baffles Physicists

Author Topic: New Subatomic Particle Baffles Physicists
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it decays in ways that existing theory doesn't predict.

[ June 21, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. All that MONEY spent on particle accelerators has been justified.
Particle physicists have spent years upon years trying to "break the StandardModel" so they could check out "what's under the hood".

[ June 21, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, that's one smart elephant.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
was there ever a time that exciting scientific discoveries made any sense whatsoever to the vast majority of the world?
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Not since Og pointed out that Fire was Hot.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the vast majority didn't know what fire was, at that point? (which I assume to be the case....)
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what grad students are for

[ June 21, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Most biology, molecular biology, and materials science I can look at and say, "This might be useful in such and such way at some point in the future."

I have no idea how to react to this. Were the predictions that it decay faster based on formula in the model, or were they based on general observation that heavier particles decay faster? If it was based on formulas, are those formulas based on extrapolation from the decay of other mesons or from some formula much more integral to the theory?

I have no way of judging the significance of this find.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets just say the math is more than a bit complex, and that its based on a theory of how the universe arranges itself. That the universe doesn't arrange itself as predicted is not a wholly unexpected, but still major, discovery.

There is no immediate practical use of this research. Probably won't be for decades, or possibly centuries. But considering the amazing stuff we've gotten out of most previous "purely theoretical" discoveries and advances (you all like your computers, neh? a lot of what makes them possible was "purely theoretical" in its day), I think its safe to say this won't go unused at some point.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I have no doubt it will be used. I just can't envision how.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This particular discovery? Lets see, potential uses . . . the particle might have properties particularly useful for zapping cancer cells, possibly something in computer storage, perhaps it has implications for practical fusion.

Those're just some of the things that research in particle physics often leads to.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.