FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Black Russian/ Afro-European Royalty

Author Topic: Black Russian/ Afro-European Royalty
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
No not the drink.

On my flight from Russia I watched an interesting movie: "How Tzar Peter Married His Negro".

It relates part of a story of Ibrahim Petrovitch Gannibal, a Ethiopian Prince, captured by Arabs, and given as a gift to Peter the Great. Peter becomes his Godfather, raises him as a son.

The young man has many adventures, and helps his God-father remake Russia.

The movie, despite some racist elements, such as the hero being portrayed by a Russian actor in blackfase, was well done, and interesting. The story was very good.

Scanning the web to get more information about it, and any sequels that tell more of this story, I discover that its part of a bigger, but unfinished work, by Alexander Pushkin--the great 19th century poet and playwright.

Further, it is based on the life of Pushkins great grandfather. The story is true.

Then to go even further, not only is there a strong African lineage in this Russian Noble family, that family intermarries into the great noble houses of Europe.

Even the Royal family of England is connected to Pushkin, and by him, to this African child.

Pushkin's daughter's line marries into the Mountbatten family in England, though I get lost in the details.

That, my friends, is your surprising lesson for the day.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does this make anyone else think of the Christopher Walken/Dennis Hopper scene in True Romance?

Not to detract from the fact Dan posted...That is very interesting. And new to me.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Queen Charlotte, wife of George III and grandmother of Queen Victoria was descended from a black branch of the Portuguese royal family. Because Victoria's children intermarried throughout the royalty of Europe, almost every royal family in Europe have some black heritage.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, shucks, then W. outta feel right at home serving the Queen some cornbread with her vittles when she comes to visit him in the white house. He might even challenge her to a watermelon seed spittin'c contest. I wonder if Colin Powell would bring his mammy?
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
WTF are you talking about?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather's parents were born in Spain, in Andalusia. During a heated argument with my beloved, though openly racist grandmother, I shot back at her that I had African blood. I thought for sure she was going to have a coronary, but I went through the whole Spain being ruled by the Moors for centuries bit. She did not buy it.

Thanks, Dan, I think that was very interesting.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, it's all gone so ... peculiar.

We fell down the rabbit hole or something.

[Eek!]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Pushkin as a child and as an adult.

[ June 21, 2004, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting on two counts,

First, I've been to The Hermitage several times in St. Petersberg and seen all the portrats of Russian royalty. For the most part they look pretty Russian/Scandinavian/German -- the countries of origin for most of the Russian royals.

Also, the Moors who invaded Spain were of two types, Arabic and Berber. The former has the appearance of the typical Saudi Arabian of today, the later is often as light as a northern European. I don't believe many of the Moors were of sub-Saharan African descent.

Just a thought.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting.

I'm currently reading Rutherfurd's Russka. I think it's a great book. He didn't mention this episode though.

Hmm...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think that this information might bother some people, I snicker like a little schoolgirl.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I don't believe many of the Moors were of sub-Saharan African descent."

I didn't say they were.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First, I've been to The Hermitage several times in St. Petersberg and seen all the portrats of Russian royalty. For the most part they look pretty Russian/Scandinavian/German -- the countries of origin for most of the Russian royals.
If you read carefully, you'll notice that Dan_raven didn't say that Pushkin's descendants married into the Russian imperial family (although one of them, Pushkin's granddaughter, I believe, married a grandson of Nikolai I). Rather, he said that Pushkin's descendants married into other noble houses of Europe.
Link on the connection between Pushkin and the British royal family.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Agrees with Beverly. Giggles.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I also agree with Dan and Beverly, and do feel retroactively bad for using this against my grandmother, but she is SO difficult to talk to about ethnicity issues.

I read somewhere that the farthest apart any humans are related is fiftieth cousins. I know that is far, but I like to think that we are all cousins.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.