FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I had no idea...

Author Topic: I had no idea...
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today was my first day working at Starbucks. I had no idea it was going to be so fast-paced. I had to make frappachino after frappachino after frappachino..... FOR...E...VER! And since it was summer, nobody ordered anything else.

Customer: "I want a tall mocha..." *I thought: please not a frappachino.... "frappachino." grrr

And then I got to make whipped cream. Which was actually pretty easy. You just put in some heavy whipping cream with some vanilla syrup. Then you screw the cap on and instert the CO2 cartrige.

That was where I got laughed at. The top rubber seal happened to fall out of the top before I screwed it on, so when I inserted the C02 far enough in to where it punctured...

Let's just say my face was white and leave it at that. [Wink]

Which just made my nickname "Mayonnaise" stick that much more. [Grumble] [Wink]

All in all, a fun job. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what you need, Nick?

A massage.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're having fun, Nick. Best of luck to you!

[Wave] [Hat]

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Phanto, I couldn't agree more. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
You are serving people huge amounts of caffiene and are wondering why they are hyper and making you run everywhere?
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Nickita! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,
Are they tipping you the extra change like they are supposed to, according to the Tipping Guide?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, was there someone there to help you with the whipped-cream-removal? Nice female colleague, perhaps?

I'd think that would make a great how-we-met story. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, that suggests I should go work at a coffee shop...
Should I?

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One customer to a story, bub! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you remember my advice and steal from the tip jar?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Nick)))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Nick, was there someone there to help you with the whipped-cream-removal? Nice female colleague, perhaps?
Well actually, there is a cute girl that works there that I knew from high school, but she wasn't working yesterday morning. [Dont Know] [Grumble]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I want an Orange! Mocha! Frappacino! please. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't know if that's on the menu... Maybe a Mocha Frap with added orange syrup? [Dont Know]
[Wink]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to call down and relax.

You know what is good for that?

A nice Mocha Frappachino.

[ June 22, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Anna, I recently found out that they just opened their first store in France. Is that true?

*gets ready for next shift*
[Wink]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Double esspresso please.

No crap on top. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a venti Chocolate Brownie Frap. With two extra shots, please.
If I am ever looking for a new job, the first place I'm applying is Starbucks. Great bennies there.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Mmmhmm
I love the health/vision/dental benefits. Awesome. [Big Grin]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to think about Starbucks. After seeing firsthand the working and living conditions of the Guatemalan coffee plantation workers and the Honduran coffee processing plant workers, I can't think very highly of any coffee company that does business there.

On the other hand, I have heard whispers that Starbucks is actually taking steps to improve said working and living conditions by putting pressure on the plantation and factory owners. I hope this is true.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
On the other hand, I have heard whispers that Starbucks is actually taking steps to improve said working and living conditions by putting pressure on the plantation and factory owners. I hope this is true.
It actually is true. Starbucks commits to "fair trade" and has actually provided some medical clinics and schools to it's suppliers. If you permanently consume the very resource that makes you your money, which includes the land and the laborers, how will your company survive?
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I don't know what to think about Starbucks. After seeing firsthand the working and living conditions of the Guatemalan coffee plantation workers and the Honduran coffee processing plant workers, I can't think very highly of any coffee company that does business there.
Also, Starbucks processes everything themselves. The only buy the harvested beans from growers, that's all. They have processing plants across the mainland United States, and they give benefits and fair wages to all who work in those as well.

[ June 23, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.