FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Logic =/ God?

Author Topic: Logic =/ God?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bit of ramble. Sorry.

Philosphers such as Maimonides and Aquinas tried to argue for Free Will. They said that although God knows what choice you will make, that doesn't change the fact that you make a choice. Hence, there is Free Will.

My problem?

I'll illustrate it with an example:

Let's say you punch someone.

a) If you were in the exact same situation--everything being the same--you'd punch the guy again.
b) What that means is a certain combination of events would lead to your punching a guy.

Now let's take a step backwords. Let's say before you punch the guy, you have to go to his house. The previous arguement applies here. You will in identical circumstances go to his house.

That leads to C

c) If all the events and experiences that lead to your punching the guy are recreated, the chain will end with you punching the guy.

Now we can extend this to your childhood, all the way to your birth.

----------------------------------

Imagine a mold. You pour molten iron into it. No matter what, the iron will fill the mold. It doesn't have a choice to do otherwise. Can you blame it for doing so?

The same seems to apply to your life. When you're born, you're poured into the mold. You can't change the circumstances around you, you can't change your enviroment.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Is A true? Or is it part of the nature of consciousness that you might not, in fact, always punch the guy even though the circumstances were identical?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I never thought of that. Maybe the mind works sort of like radioactive decay--randomly?

*contemplates*

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Phanto...that assumes that the universe is deterministic. It's my understanding that quantum physics says that at some level the universe is random. I don't know if that could apply to decisions on the human scale.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
shig,

you don't have to look to QM. biology is largely stochastic, and I'm sure you can observe randomness at macroscopic scales, too.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
If God created you, and God knows the future, then he is controlling you by creating you: there is no freewill.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Upon becoming cognizant of his future, it was god's last will and testament that he would bequeath his self to humankind.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped arguing free will a long time ago. I was always disappointed that the logic paths always reduced the discussion to determinism vs. randomness.

Having the possibility of random events doesn't explain how free will relates to the nature of mind. I don't think the possibility of random events show free will. In fact, a universe of randomness seems as good an argument against free will as determinism is an argument against free will.

My thoughts are that it is far easier to argue in favor of determinism then it is to argue for free agency. There is no model that I know of that is simple enough to accurately show *mind,* but even a 6th grader could make a strong case for determinism.

The simplicity of determinism does not persuade me-- I do think about thinking, I believe in accountability, identity, and agency. If a model does not describe reality, then there is a problem with the model, not reality.
Perhaps mind and free will are by their nature not compatible with any model, as all models have strict rules that are counter-agency.

I must edit and quote myself for clarification...
quote:
In fact, a universe of randomness seems as good an argument against free will as determinism is an argument against free will.

The essence of free will to me is "awareness" of self and environment and "control" over thoughts and behavior. Random events do not give me more control. Random events just increase the likelihood that some other factor besides my mind is calling the shots. Mind...mind is the root of free will.

[ June 22, 2004, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

alexa,

a model is only so good as it's ability to predict?

fallow

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
We have to believe in free will. We have no choice...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Only the royal have a choice, Corwin.
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares if we have free will or not? Whatever we have simulates it accurately enough that no one can subjectively tell otherwise. So whether those neurochemical processes would take the same path every time or not, if it is not free will, it might as well be.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.